Addison Lee

Comments

• erb66
    erb66 Posts: 5
    W1 wrote:
    erb66 wrote:
    ...a good first post...

Useful stuff there - you'll now get all the war stories. To be honest, I've had a few run-ins with cab drivers, and I'm afraid the stereotype is based in part on reality. However I'd generally rather be overtaken by a cabbie (who is, in theory, a professional driver and has a lot to lose) than many other lunatics on the road.

Fair play to you for coming on here to give your view.

Cheers mate, like I said, I'm not defending Taxi drivers as guardians of the highway. Given the amount of driving we all do both in cab and on bike in London on a daily basis, run-ins are totally inevitable no matter how good a driver/rider you are. I just wanted to say a few things that made people question the stereotypes and put forward the 'opposing' view (if thats the right word to use).

Be lucky mate.
  • erb66 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    erb66 wrote:
    ...a good first post...

Useful stuff there - you'll now get all the war stories. To be honest, I've had a few run-ins with cab drivers, and I'm afraid the stereotype is based in part on reality. However I'd generally rather be overtaken by a cabbie (who is, in theory, a professional driver and has a lot to lose) than many other lunatics on the road.

Fair play to you for coming on here to give your view.

Cheers mate, like I said, I'm not defending Taxi drivers as guardians of the highway. Given the amount of driving we all do both in cab and on bike in London on a daily basis, run-ins are totally inevitable no matter how good a driver/rider you are. I just wanted to say a few things that made people question the stereotypes and put forward the 'opposing' view (if thats the right word to use).

Be lucky mate.

Good on you erb. The minicabs are a bloody liability, I can't understand why there aren't stronger sanctions considering the amount of work a black cab driver has to do to get a licence. It also annoys me enormously that there's no area for complaint - I've complained to TFL about minicab behaviour before and been brushed off.

The only thing a few black cab drivers do that annoys me is stick a hand out as if to wave and then cut you up. Oh and passing too close in bus lanes, particularly one specific one in kensington. But hey, at least you're allowed to be in them...
  • I'm generally impressed by the standard of black cab driving - for sure I'd like them to give more room sometimes, but they are pretty good at what they do.

Just a small quibble with the "long" post - has there ever been a recorded case in human history of a black cab driver actually APOLOGISING for anything?

I mean, even Alex Ferguson is more likely to apologise, surely?
  • erb66
    I'm generally impressed by the standard of black cab driving - for sure I'd like them to give more room sometimes, but they are pretty good at what they do.

Just a small quibble with the "long" post - has there ever been a recorded case in human history of a black cab driver actually APOLOGISING for anything?

I mean, even Alex Ferguson is more likely to apologise, surely?

Ha ha, nice one. I can only speak personally but I know when I've done wrong and I always hold my hands up to it. Thats the way I roll in life in general to be honest, not just when driving. I remember apologising to a cyclist on Piccadilly to whom I'd made the 'u-turn error', i.e. I saw a hand, I looked in my side mirror then u-turned. Unfortunately, despite glancing over my shoulder too the guy was simply in a blind spot and I just didn't see him. Luckily no contact was made, but the situation diffused quickly by my apologising and whats more he smiled and thanked me!!! Despite nearly upending him! I guess it threw him that I approached the situation that way and didn't go on the offensive or something.

But I could just as easy throw that accusation back too because I rarely get apologies from cyclists that I have incidents with where they are clearly in the wrong. In fact I usually get the finger or, in one instance, spat at. If you've never been spat at, believe me, that is the lowest of the low.

At the end of the day we judge huge cross-sections of society by single/isolated incidents that we experience personally which we know is wrong but, as humans, we still do it.

Ce la vie!
  • erb66 wrote:
    Luckily no contact was made, but the situation diffused quickly by my apologising and whats more he smiled and thanked me!!!

Exactly what the woman who nearly took me out yesterday did. Took the wind out of my sails and it's hard to stay angry with someone who is genuinely apologetic (though I do agree that zooming past with a couple of cms to spare doesn't really sound like someone with a great deal of experience of cycling in London).

If you (not you, erb66, perhaps I should say "one") makes a mistake then apologising is the best thing to do on more than one level. Following up a stupid mistake (we all make them) with abuse at the other party is a dead cert to escalate the situation.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    And Addison Lee sponsor smoking... all round good guys.
  • That's a very interesting post erb66, it explains a lot in terms of the differences in driving standards between proper cabs and mini cabs, my impressions of black cabs drivers have been pretty good, not averse to the odd cheeky manoeuvre though :) I have even been apologised to on the odd occasion.

I don't like to make sweeping generalisations, but for minicab drivers I'll make an exception because it's true! I'm not sure if Addison Lee are any worse - although it is indeed my impression that they are - just that they are more conspicuous.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Nice post erb, and welcome. As long as you're not taxi no. 11611 because if you are, you're a vulgar, abusive menace :)

I know you often have to stop fairly suddenly, but could you ask your buddies to please make sure that they take all reasonable precautions before pulling in, i.e. mirror, signal and manoeuvre in plenty of time and, crucially, in the right order.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I'm generally impressed by the standard of black cab driving - for sure I'd like them to give more room sometimes, but they are pretty good at what they do.

The two that drove over my back wheel did do it very well, I must admit.
  • Porgy wrote:

I did say "generally".
  • Porgy
    edited November 2009
    Porgy wrote:

I did say "generally".

Try riding/ driving/ walking around Paddington to see how good they are in "general". All of them pretty poor round there in my experience.

Whenever a car comes far too close and too fast to me - odds on it's a black cab.

It's easier to count the ones that signal than the ones that don't.

And there's a fair few with a big chip on their shoulder - carrying out malicious acts against cyclists and other motorists

I've lost count the times I've been dangerously undertaken by a black cab while driving along in South London - and having to sharply brake to avoid them colliding with me.

One time a cab driver was trying to push me out out off my lane to get in front on the Old Kent road and caused my little girl, who was in the back of my car, start to cry. I had to assume that he took agin me cos I had a bike carrier on the back. He even managed to slightly bend the feckin wheel!!. :roll:

Another time as a ped in the east end one came sailing around a corner far too fast and nearly ran over me, my wife and kid, not a word of an apology. I told him to be careful and he jumped out to hit me. :roll: again

I could go on - I won;t. None of my experiences are one-offs - and many of my family and friends have similar experiences. They are menaces to humanity. I won;t use them.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I did say "generally".

Try riding/ driving/ walking around Paddington to see how good they are in "general". All of them pretty poor round there in my experience.

Whenever a car comes far too close and too fast to me - odds on it's a black cab.

And there's a fair few with a big chip on their shoulder - carrying out malicious acts against cyclists and other motorists

I've lost count the times I've been dangerously undertaken by a black cab while driving along in South London - and having to sharply brake to avoid them colliding with me.

One time a cab driver was trying to push me out out off my lane to get in front on the Old Kent road and made my little girl, who was in the back of my car, start to cry. I had to assume that he took agin me cos I had a bike carrier on the back. :roll:

And I'm sure the list of complaints cabbies have against cyclists is as long, if not longer. Frankly I'm had more hassle from the busses.
  • Porgy
    edited November 2009
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I did say "generally".

One time a cab driver was trying to push me out out off my lane to get in front on the Old Kent road and made my little girl, who was in the back of my car, start to cry. I had to assume that he took agin me cos I had a bike carrier on the back. :roll:

And I'm sure the list of complaints cabbies have against cyclists is as long, if not longer. Frankly I'm had more hassle from the busses.

No doubt that's why lot's of them are narked off about cyclists and why i've been on the receiving end so often. However - I am a completely law-abiding road user so their actions against random cyslists achieve nothing. And I have never attcked a Black Cab driver in my life, despite nearly being killed by one on purpose about 8 years ago.

You missed the point there - I chose examples from cycling, walking and driving.

They need to be made accountable.

A few years ago I started taking my complaints to the regulatory office. Not one was acted upon. So I went to Jennie Jones, who asked a question in the London Assembly on my behalf. She was very supportive, but the question was brushed off by Ken Livingstone and I suspect that the day Black Cab drivers become accountable for their refusal to obey basic traffic laws is as far away as ever.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I did say "generally".

You missed the point there - I chose examples from cycling, walking and driving.

Well if we include all them then cabbies have an even longer list!

The point is, really, that there are idiots everywhere. We encounter more "black cabs" than other forms of traffic and we group them together (a bit like people do with cyclists). As I said earlier though, I'd rather we mixing it with pro-drivers than the general public. Except bus drivers.
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I did say "generally".

The point is, really, that there are idiots everywhere. We encounter more "black cabs" than other forms of traffic and we group them together (a bit like people do with cyclists). As I said earlier though, I'd rather we mixing it with pro-drivers than the general public. Except bus drivers.

So I hate black cab drivers and you hate bus drivers. Truth is though, until cabbies are accountable the bad appleas amongst them will continue to attack innocent people becasue of perceived wrongs against them.

there's quite a few cabbies out where i live - I even have one in the family. They seemt o have an attitude problem - they believe the world owes them a living - but they've all got bleeding big houses. I advise any I come up against to change their career. I mean how important is it that they can afford that new patio?
  • erb66
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I did say "generally".

So I hate black cab drivers and you hate bus drivers. Truth is though, until cabbies are accountable the bad appleas amongst them will continue to attack innocent people becasue of perceived wrongs against them.

there's quite a few cabbies out where i live - I even have one in the family. They seemt o have an attitude problem - they believe the world owes them a living - but they've all got bleeding big houses. I advise any I come up against to change their career. I mean how important is it that they can afford that new patio?

I'm encouraged by some of the response i've had on here from you guys and I thank you for not jumping all over me.

Reading the above thread, I would make one point. WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE. We have a Green Badge round our neck, a vehicle registration number AND a Taxi registration number (the latter 2 both perfectly visible at the rear of the Taxi). If you report this to the authorities and they don't act on it THAT ISN'T OUR FAULT. But we are accountable.

Can you say that the same option is available to me for the countless re-sprays and smashed wingmirrors that I have had to pay for from my own pocket as a result of cyclists rushing up the inside of stationary traffic? No, in fact not only can I have any recourse against these people, I generally get abused into the bargain even though I'm stationary and clearly have done nothing wrong when I try to remonstrate!!

So mate, it cuts both ways. BUT what I don't do is tar ALL cyclists with the same brush which is what you are doing about Cab drivers. As someone else rightly pointed out, if you cycle in London, you will notice that a high proportion of the vehicles with which you come into contact are Taxis. Its inevitable, given the nature of a Taxi drivers' day-to-day working conditions (see my original post) that incidents will happen. That does not mean though that WE ARE ALL nutters. If I didn't give a shit about cyclists, would I be spending time on this Forum discussing it?

As for the sweeping statements in your last paragraph, what the hell has the size of someone's house got to do with anything? If anything, that proves someone has worked bloody hard to get what they have, are you a communist or something? I don't have a big house, I have a family to support and I work hard. Is that a problem? It doesn't necessarily mean I think the world owes me a living.

I think you have to be careful about making sweeping statements and lumping every cross-section of society into your personal stereotypes because that is just plain ridiculous.
  • London taxi driver 'deliberately ran down pedestrian who squirted drink at his cab'

A London taxi driver left his passengers screaming in horror after he deliberately ran over a pedestrian who had squirted drink over his windscreen, a court heard yesterday.

The four customers in Imran Raja’s cab “could hear and feel the bump” as the wheels crushed Robert Scott to death in the road, the Old Bailey was told. It is alleged that Mr Raja, 37, steered towards the 58-year-old and mowed him down at a junction after he threw a bottle of liquid over the front of the taxi.

The passengers, a married couple and two female friends who were travelling to a West End bar, allegedly yelled at Mr Raja to stop before he phoned for an ambulance. Mr Scott suffered massive head injuries and was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital.

Mr Raja, who worked for Addison Lee, London’s biggest minicab firm, denies murder.

The incident happened as Mr Raja drove Chris Watson, his wife, and two other women to Piccadilly at around 7.40pm on November 21 last year. Prosecutor David Fisher QC said it was dark and raining as Mr Raja pulled up at a junction in Mayfair, preparing to turn right. He said that Mr Scott then stepped out into the road in front of the Ford Galaxy and began remonstrating with Mr Raja.

Mr Fisher said: “He was very close to the front of the vehicle and for whatever reason he appeared to be cross and agitated. “He squirted or splashed liquid from a bottle on to the windscreen of the vehicle and then struck the front with the bottle.

'Instead of turning right, Imran Raja drove forwards and left towards Robert Scott, striking him and knocking him to the ground. He then drove over him crushing him to death. “The passengers could hear and feel the bump as the tyres of the cab went over Robert Scott. “The three women were screaming and Chris Watson shouted at the defendant to stop.”

Mr Raja, of Dellow Close, Ilford, Essex, also denies alternative charges of manslaughter and causing death by dangerous driving.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    erb66 wrote:
    Hi, I must need my head examining for coming on here, but hopefully you will all read this with an open mind and not set the attack dogs on me! :shock:

First off, a little about me. I'm 43 years old and a LIcensed London Taxi Driver, i.e. real Taxi, not a minicab driver who drives round in a Toyota Avensis with a Baby-On-Board green roundel in the back window. I can already hear the howls of derision, but read on folks.

Its nice to see that Taxi drivers and cyclists finally have some common ground. Addison Lee drivers!!!! :evil: Right, now I've got you back onside!!

I'm a bike rider too, however my riding is done off-road out in Kent, rarely on-road, so I can't 100% associate with what you guys go through on a daily basis in London. However, as you will see later I do have experience to some extent of London on 2 wheels.

Now we could spend all day recounting our own particular tales of woe at the hands of our respective groups as you have done on this thread. God knows I could tell you of the pretty much daily encounters with cyclists jumping red lights in front of me (I save at least one cyclists life every day, but they never seem to appreciate it :wink: ), near deaths of pedestrians from cyclists not stopping at pedestrian crossings, countless scrapes on my bodywork from cyclists (and motorcyclists) desperate to weave through stationary traffic to get to their destination 30 seconds quicker, lack of hand signals, lack of protective equipment, lack of LIGHTS! I could go on. But that ISN'T why I came on here, I'm not that stupid as to think that all us Taxi drivers are saints. So that would open me up to ridicule and I haven't the spare time to waste on that.

No, the reason I came on here was to give our perspective on this discussion, to add some balance to the argument and also to correct some misconceptions that have been stated in this thread.

There is a massive difference between Taxi drivers (such as myself) and Minicab drivers (such as the likes of Addison Lee). Yes, minicabs have a licensing system now, but don't let the 'Licensed' bit fool you, Taxi drivers have about as much in common with Minicab drivers (or Private Hire as they like to call themselves) as chalk has with cheese. Let me introduce some FACTS at this point, not urban myths or commonly held beliefs, these are facts.

1) All London Taxi drivers (well, probably 99% anyway, some use cars but very rarely) will, prior to gaining their license, have spent an average of 3 years riding around London on a moped or suchlike, whilst doing 'The Knowledge'. This is very much an eye-opener in terms of being made aware of people on 2 wheels. I grant you it isn't the same as being on a pushbike, but it still affords you the same level of exposure and vulnerability that a cylist experiences.

2) All London Taxi drivers are very much accountable for their actions. We have both a vehicle and Taxi license number on the back of our Taxi's that are visible to both the public, on foot, wheel or otherwise, as well as Police and Speed/Traffic light cameras. Such identification is not evident on cyclists and therefore they are wholly unaccountable for their actions when it comes to obeying road regulations. When a London Taxi driver obtains points on his/her driving license, this ultimately threatens the status of his/her Taxi driving license, a license he/she worked damn hard for by doing the Knowledge. This threat does not hang over cyclists, nor, to a similar extent does it hang over Minicab drivers, because they did not have to work hard to gain a license, other than filling out a few forms and handing over a cheque (but don't get me started on that!!!!).

3) All London Taxi drivers hold a Full UK drivers license. What is more, on passing the Knowledge, they also have to re-take a driving test, which not only covers the usual stuff you do in a driving test, it involves what is called 'Cabology', i.e. learning the kind of driving conditions you can expect in the capital on a daily basis. As well as this it involves the process of loading wheelchair users into the Taxi with all the H&S implications that this entails. None of this is done by Minicab drivers.

4) All London Taxi drivers have done 'the knowledge'. This means that for an average of 3 years we have had to learn virtually every street, one-way system, restaurant, club, pub, hotel, railway station, tube station, police station, hospital, fire station, embassy, blue plaque, government building and any other manner of point of interest. As well as this we have to be able to, at the drop of a hat, instantly call the straightest line from point A to point B, anywhere in London, in our head, without looking at a map. And name every single road and turning, being careful not to go down a 1-way street the wrong way or take an illegal right turn in the process. So basically what I'm saying is we know our stuff. Now, the reason I'm saying this is because this is a big aid in driving safely, as we are not RELIANT on a SatNav unit sitting in front of us. Which is what Minicab drivers rely on and this leads to erratic behaviour such as a) sudden turns when they realise they have missed a turning or their unit has lost its GPS signal and b) lack of concentration on the road as a result of looking at the Satnav screen instead of out of the windscreen.

Ok, bored you yet? Apologies if I have but I think its important to point some of this stuff out because Joe Public is not generally aware of the massive distinction between the 2 factions. I know I'm biased in this argument, but that is why I have stated the above, because they are irrefutable facts.

Now, I am not saying that all Taxi drivers are angels, far from it. I've made mistakes at the expense of cyclists on occasion too, i.e. the U-turn thing, but I will always apologise if I know I've done wrong. Driving upwards of 10 hours a day in London its inevitable frankly. What you have to realise is that its hard out there especially at the moment with the recession and we all have bills to pay so when you see a hand go up sometimes you just act on impulse. We are self-employed individuals and not salaried, so every fare is precious to us. Thats not to say it excuses bad driving but I'm just trying to help you to understand that we don't do it purely to irritate people.

There is a big stereotype myth about London Taxi drvers and I myself would like to think I don't fit that stereotype. I have my moans about cyclists all the time, but then I moan about rickshaws, buses, white van drivers and pedestrians too! Its human nature. But I just want you to know we're not all inconsiderate drivers and that we are a good bunch who take a great deal of pride in what is fast becoming one of the last remaining "noble trades" around.

Lastly, slightly off main topic, but I'd like to address the comment someone made earlier in this thread when they made the distinction between Minicabs and us Taxi drivers with us being 'the expensive ones'. This is one of the the most commonly held urban myths of all time in London. WE ARE NOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN MINICABS. In instances such as journeys over 20 miles, the meter can go more expensive than minicabs (however, in some instances on journeys that long you will often find the Taxi driver prepared to negotiate a fixed price and do it 'off meter' anyway). I won't bore you with sample fares, however, I can assure you that we are not more expensive at all. To measure this, simply go to Addison Lee's website and use their fare calculator utility, then come back to me and, without telling me their price, I will tell you what the fare would go in a Taxi and I GUARANTEE the Taxi will be cheaper. I have performed this exercise myself countless times and EVERY time we are way cheaper. There are people coming out of clubs every night of the week and getting into my Taxi asking me how much it will be, then telling me "blimey that minicab driver over there just quoted me £x".

Anyway, I've banged on way too long now, basically I'm just trying to redress some balance here. Us London cabbies have worked very hard to qualify for our profession and that should tell you something about us. We're not all cyclist-hating, right wing fascists wearing flat caps, we're just normal boys and girls who have families to support and bills to pay just like yourselves. Peace to one and all and be safe out there.

Top posting... I only use minicabs if there's no other option, had far too many bad experiences. Took one to a meeting in Clapham a while back, bloke turned up outside my flat in Wandsworth, asked 'where too' (I'd already said when ordering), then promptly asked me to direct him there - from Wandsworth to Clapham!! I duly did and then refused to pay him no more than 50% of the outrageous fare he quoted. Useless C*nt.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

Top posting... I only use minicabs if there's no other option, had far too many bad experiences. Took one to a meeting in Clapham a while back, bloke turned up outside my flat in Wandsworth, asked 'where too' (I'd already said when ordering), then promptly asked me to direct him there - from Wandsworth to Clapham!! I duly did and then refused to pay him no more than 50% of the outrageous fare he quoted. Useless C*nt.

Agreed. One of the few things I dislike about living in Ealing is when you really need to take a cab, there are almost never any black cabs, so it's minicab or nothing.

Addison Lee are the worst of the worst.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Those big Red Wing coaches are part of Addison Lee. There is sometimes one irritatingly parked at Parson's Green or blocking up the King's Road when I pass in the morning. Haven't seen it for a while, but that is probably because I'm leaving earlier to avoid the worst of the traffic. Anyway, it is as considerately driven as the AL minivans :roll:
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    After being clipped by the wing mirroe of an Addison Lee mini cab last week (in Shoreditch) I wondered if there's a London cyclist who HASN'T been on the receiving end of their drivers' bully boy antics. I know I've suffered several incidents and I don't even ride in central London more than once a week. I never got round to posting the question last week but was reminded to do so today when I heard that an Addison Lee driver has been charged with manslaughter after killing a pedestrian.

I strongly believe that Addison Lee only hires bullies with a chip on their shoulder. They are the worst scummy drivers ever! I once saw one of those a**holes harrassing a pedestrian who was crossing the road a bit slow, he was limping, and this bastard behind the wheel accelerated when the light went amber and swerved to avoid him. He gave the poor bloke the fright of his life!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    +1 about black cabs being cheaper...

While cycling I've come into contact with quite a few who have been particularly impatient, vindictive and just downright unpleasant.

If I had to generalise about their behaviour, I'd say they're good drivers. They seem to have a better sense of where you are around them. This just makes it all the more vindictive when they try and intimidate you by cutting you up or start yelling abuse at you for riding primary in slow traffic. I just interpret that as them being highly strung through. Which doesn't surprise me given that they're cooped up in a cab all day.

On the other hand I've encountered incredibly courteous types that will abort a u-turn once they see you coming, or will intentionally give you a wide berth when overtaking you, or move slightly to let you filter through when stationery.

Its just down to the individual cabbie. At least you know that if they're particularly egregious you can hold them to account by taking down their license number....
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    Amazingly the Addison Lee effect extends to their motorbike couriers. One nearly killed me on an undertake. He then pulled into his house so "I know where he lives...". I can't wait for Hallowe'en :evil:
    (address available by special request)

Advertising themselves on ashtrays really is about their level.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    black cab pulled out in front of me as I came off the a4 heading down to the hammersmith roundabout. Probably doing 25 mph (in my dreams) and the F*&ker just pulled straight out in front of me - literally had to do an emergency stop so as not to tbone him. Got his no plate - but is there anything I can do? Bloke had no excuse - 5 seconds later and he'd have had clear road. It wasn't dark, I was wearing a white t-shirt and orange helmet AND I had a front light on. Genuinely ruined my new mantra of "tranquilo" and still fuming 4 hours later. Anything I can do? Can I complain to police/london hackney cabs assoc?
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    On my journey to and from work the most courteous professional drivers are the buses, I find that in general they are very polite, keep out of your way, don't pull out blindly etc.

Next I would have black cabs (especially with a customer onboard)

and finally licensed minicabs. That sticker in the back is a definite indication of inconsiderate drivers.

George
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    WesternWay wrote:
    On my journey to and from work the most courteous professional drivers are the buses, I find that in general they are very polite, keep out of your way, don't pull out blindly etc.

What??? Those are the worst!!!! :shock:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    WesternWay wrote:

What??? Those are the worst!!!! :shock:

I guess different people have different experiences, for me buses are very, very predictable so they rarely cause me any issues.

Addison Lee are definately some of the most selfish drivers on the road.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    mroli wrote:
    black cab pulled out in front of me as I came off the a4 heading down to the hammersmith roundabout. Probably doing 25 mph (in my dreams) and the F*&ker just pulled straight out in front of me - literally had to do an emergency stop so as not to tbone him. Got his no plate - but is there anything I can do? Bloke had no excuse - 5 seconds later and he'd have had clear road. It wasn't dark, I was wearing a white t-shirt and orange helmet AND I had a front light on. Genuinely ruined my new mantra of "tranquilo" and still fuming 4 hours later. Anything I can do? Can I complain to police/london hackney cabs assoc?

https://secure.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Good post erb66... nice little tout for business as well :wink:

Whatever happens with cabs I doubt they'd be as bad as this
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20052010/58/world-cup-2010-maradona-runs-man-insults.html
    :lol: WAC
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • On black cab drivers being accountable, that's not entirely true.

The PCO will not accept complaints about drivers unless you were a passenger.

The PCO do not even record or collate complaints about drivers who have behaved recklessly or dangerously near cyclists.