Training on the commute

katel
katel Posts: 12
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on making the most of my commute. I've been riding 15miles each way 3 or 4 times a week since july. What's the best way of getting fitter, faster, leaner and with the aim of a possible sportive next year?

My commute:
First couple of miles going out of town, stop, start, a few lumps and bumps
Middle 10 miles, flatish quiet lanes
Last couple of miles into town more lumps and bumps

I've improved a lot since starting back in July, now i'm getting to the point where this is reasonably comfortable i tend to keep a fairly steady pace.

I'm just after a bit more structure to vary the commute and really take advantage of the time on the bike!

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Go fairly hard on the 10 mile bit. Maybe invest in a HRM & ride to that for your 10 miles?80/85% of max should be good.

Is there any way you could extend your route? If your plans are to do a sportive next year you'll have toup the distance.

Join a local club & get some decent Sunday rides in too.
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Doing some tabatas intervals (20 secs high intensity 10 secs low intensity repeated 8 times per set) in the 10 mile section can be good to break up your sessions. It will improve both aerobic and anerobic capacity, and as such is very efficient training.

I've devised a 15 mile commute home that allows me to do these intervals too.
  • My commute is of a similar length, and I do it about as often as you. I found that just staying in the big ring and trying to get to and from work as fast as possible made a big difference to my bike fitness - no need to over complicate things. If there's a few lumps and bumps on the way then powering up those makes for a bit of interval training itself, and if you do a longer ride at the weekend then there'll be no need to extend your commute (unless you want to anyway). By doing this I took over an hour off my time for the 2009 Fred Whitton vs the 2008 event, so if sportives are your aim then it seems to work!
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Top tip, get up as late as you possibly can, leave as late as you possibly can, then the ride to work becomes a very important race.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    weapons wrote:
    Doing some tabatas intervals (20 secs high intensity 10 secs low intensity repeated 8 times per set) in the 10 mile section can be good to break up your sessions. It will improve both aerobic and anerobic capacity, and as such is very efficient training.

I've devised a 15 mile commute home that allows me to do these intervals too.

Be a bit careful with following the Tabata Protocol on the road. We are talking of a 20 absolute full on maximum effort here. This something that doesn't mix with road traffic tbh. This kind of 110% effort is best left for your turbo sessions...blimey I sound like the HSE but these sessions if done properly will have you on your knees.

Very effective training excercise but best performed in the comfort of your " turbo dungeon" and done once a week.