Spend my money :lol:
    Keep me occupied !
    Relaxation

And the biggest one of all ... Because i love it :D
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    keeps me fit (i can boogie on the dancefloor twice as long)
    You don't get done going slow past some hotties :lol:
    I enjoy the view of the countryside (live in the city)
    Adrenalin rush.
    Competetive
    travel to work
    beats sitting at home on the weekend playing on a games console...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    First Capital Connect
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    It's a reflex now. I leave the house with a bike. Sometimes I have to take the bike back inside when I suddenly remember that I'm supposed to be driving somewhere I don't need a bike. But this is rare.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I ride for...
    Adrenalin
    Fitness
    Not being bored
    My friends ride
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    kangaroo wrote:
    l ride because id look really stupid running around the woods Just holding a pair of handle bars and making mtb noises

There's more money in performance art than MTB.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Ahh I love threads like this!

I got into MTBing as I find its something you can do as a team, as a club with plenty of banter at the pub or by yourself. Going out by yourself, hearing the noises of the countryside allows you to think about things, mull them over and get away from people.

Plus, its easier than going to the Gym or Running and a great adrenaline rush too, keeps me fit as well mind you. Our club has a good social life too it, something I'm in dire need of. :roll:

Did I mention I love getting muddy, being in the elements? (except for soggy feet)
  • To keep fit as i have become lazy since getting a Motorbike. Plus the freedom is great and the sense of satisfaction reaching the top of a huge climb and then to throw it down the otherside :D
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    bikes just rock!!

i get the same buzz from riding as i did when i was a kid
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    For the smile at the end of the descent, for getting to work, for getting fit, for having thighs like the governator, for the pleasure of being out of breath, grinding along in the wind and the rain up a slipery bast*rd hill and realising that, in fact, I wouldn't rather be doing anything else right now. :D
  • sheer enjoyment, because its one of the greatest sports i've ever done, because there is a big local dh scene of people (but not so many tracks) were i live and because running and many other sports nackers my knees because i have flat feet so my kneecap rubs away at my cartilage

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • To get away from the madness.
    Gerrin! Love owt like that, me.

Malty goodness
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    because i love night cramp. :(.

nothing like bouncing round the bedroom at 3 in the mornin.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    You can go from a 2 b 2 c 2 d and so forth .
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    why not?
    it's a hell of a lot of fun. it's healthy and it cheaper than getting wasted on drink or drugs...
    Not really active
  • :arrow: Cheaper than playing on racetracks on my R1,
    :arrow: More 'thrilling' than playing on racetracks on my R1; closer passes, narrower tracks, makes it feel 'faster'
    :arrow: IT's helping me build my strength up.
    :arrow: It helps me believe I can fly ( I can't, I keep body slamming the floor)
    :arrow: I'm fiercly competitive, but I wont train i'll just beast myself and die on the finish line.
    :arrow: I can no longer run due to dodgy knees and hips from many many miles of cross country from 12-18 and a motorcycle accident at 18.
    :arrow: It tires the dog out (springer spaniel), she enjoys the trails as much as I do and i'm yet to find a jump that she cant clear with far more style than me :lol:
    :arrow: It's a good social
    :arrow: It's a good way of getting some time to yourself
    :arrow: It's cheap transport
    :arrow: It's a fun mode of transport, filtering through traffic is so much fun.

think that's a big enough list?

Why I dont like riding:
    :arrow: MY shins look like they've been attacked with a dot punch, every 'corner' of me, eg elbow or knee has cuts/scars and scabs on it.
    :arrow: Car drivers treat you like $h!t, jelousy I think.
    :arrow: Smelly buses and other vehicles in towns, yurk.
    4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    :arrow: Cheaper than playing on racetracks on my R1
    You sound familiar...does this ring any bells: People are like slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch fall down stairs ?
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    cheaper than getting wasted on drink or drugs...

i disagree, i could have quite a healthy smack habit for much less money than I spend on bikes!!! :lol:
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I miiror you pretty much exactly, mate.

OK, I'm not too keen on going flat out, am a little too wary for that! :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Some great replies, some slightly cringey ones (as usual).

Much as I love riding and despite the number of bikes in the shed, if the surf is good, that comes first :D
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Much as I love riding and despite the number of bikes in the shed, if the surf is good, that comes first :D

I'm off on holiday just after xmas and heading off to California and New York, but my girlfriend doesn't like the cold much, so as a "compromise" i've added on a week in Hawaii as well.

Been surfing there a couple of times previously in summer, but never in January. Apparently the surf is HUGE in January!!!!! 30+ degrees and massive waves, I think I can live with that!

To be fair though, I'm a bit anxious that it's going to be a bit too big for me, i've never surfed anything really big before.
  • It's a surf it and see situation, if we havn't heard from you in Febraury we'll assume you 'suck(at) it and see' ed :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Been surfing there a couple of times previously in summer, but never in January. Apparently the surf is HUGE in January!!!!!
    No comparison really, but it was 12ft and stormy at Polzeath one morning in Feb when I was there a couple of years ago. Mental.
  • Surf-Matt
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

I'm off on holiday just after xmas and heading off to California and New York, but my girlfriend doesn't like the cold much, so as a "compromise" i've added on a week in Hawaii as well.

Been surfing there a couple of times previously in summer, but never in January. Apparently the surf is HUGE in January!!!!! 30+ degrees and massive waves, I think I can live with that!

To be fair though, I'm a bit anxious that it's going to be a bit too big for me, i've never surfed anything really big before.

Don't want to sound OTT but be VERY careful - Hawaii in January is utterly nuts - huge waves that pack many times more power than ours. They are the sort of waves that kill you - they don't just tumble you around a bit.

Whenever I surf abroad, it's always amazing how much extra power the waves have even when quite small.

This is one from ages ago in Portugal - that wave really packed a punch!

Surf.jpg

The Oz (from 2000 so had to scan them in - in every barrel except the one that isn't barrelling!):

Byron19990001.jpg

They are more punchy than the UK - Hawaii is another level of power.

Enjoy but be careful!!
  • .blitz wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Been surfing there a couple of times previously in summer, but never in January. Apparently the surf is HUGE in January!!!!!
    No comparison really, but it was 12ft and stormy at Polzeath one morning in Feb when I was there a couple of years ago. Mental.

that's what worries me!!! apparently they hold major surf competitions in January because the waves are generally 20ft+ :shock: :shock:

That would destroy me!!!!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    because I like getting covered in mud and grazes, scratched by brambles, bitten by dogs and impaled on thorns. Only to find when I get back I'm completely exhausted and the other half's sick of a sweaty 6 footer dripping on the kitchen lino.
    Plus I like wasting huge amounts of money constantly repairing a two wheeled vehicle that's supposed to be able to cope with this, when my fiat panda can cross fields of mud, rivers and sand dunes without needing any attention!
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Surf-Matt
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    .blitz wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:

that's what worries me!!! apparently they hold major surf competitions in January because the waves are generally 20ft+ :shock: :shock:

I went to my local beach yesterday for lunch -it was about 15ft and totally unsurfable - scary just watching!
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    .blitz wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:

I went to my local beach yesterday for lunch -it was about 15ft and totally unsurfable - scary just watching!

your photos look ace :D

and i've taken heed of your warning, anything over head height generally gives me the shits!

i'm going to book a couple of days with a local instructor so that i can find some spots that are within my capability.

we're up the north shore of oahu a couple of times anyway (swimming with sharks! not sure which is more dangerous!!) so can't wait to at least watch some of the pros nailing the big ones.
  • Surf-Matt
    yoohoo - cheers. If you get some pics, I'd be VERY keen to see them!

Lucky so and so!!
  • I remeber body boarding in waves a little taller than me (8ft) needless to say i got cartwheeled onto the beach with a bad head ache, covered in tiny sand cuts and without a bikini top!!!!

felt ill for days due to hitting my head. lucky though, could have been worse :lol:

I'd still try and do it again though