"Proper" Intervals

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
Just done what could be considered as my first proper interval session...

...and it's the hardest thing i've had to do on a bike! I'm feeling a bit sick, light headed and shaking!

Had some tests done at Uni recently, found my previous attempts (about 3 times in my entire cycling career) at intervals to HR weren't even scratching my lactate threshold. They also found my CV system is extremely well developed but my legs are weak in comparison (which apparently is a good thing, since most people they test have legs that are fully developed but a relatively weak CV system), so this means plenty of these sessions for me over the winter.

I asked the lad coaching me what happens when the session program he's given me gets easier, and he just replied "I give you more and make you do them longer" :evil:

It better bloody work :lol:
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Train hard, ride easy. :wink:
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Out of interest, what was the session format?
  • GavH wrote:

General warm up, then get my HR up to 180+ and hold for 30 seconds. Let my HR drop back to around 135 (basically the lowest it will go spinning away in my lowest gear) then repeat. Was told to do 6, but he then said basically see how many you can do without losing form, so managed 8.

Towards the end of the 30 seconds my HR was hitting 190, which is pretty close to my (current) recorded max.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    GavH wrote:

General warm up, then get my HR up to 180+ and hold for 30 seconds. Let my HR drop back to around 135 (basically the lowest it will go spinning away in my lowest gear) then repeat. Was told to do 6, but he then said basically see how many you can do without losing form, so managed 8.

Towards the end of the 30 seconds my HR was hitting 190, which is pretty close to my (current) recorded max.

Sounds almost as hard as Tabatas...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ht=tabatas
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    GavH wrote:

A similar principle I guess, really short and hard intervals.

I think as I progress the intervals will get longer. Cannot imagine even holding the 180+ for a minute at the moment :shock:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    GavH wrote:

I think as I progress the intervals will get longer. Cannot imagine even holding the 180+ for a minute at the moment :shock:

May give this a try on my interval day (my Max HR is 193 so sounds v. similar to you...)
  • I think my Max HR may be higher, but like I've said my legs give out long before my CV system does! Getting it above my threshold I think is the key at the moment.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • What's your max HR on those Shocked?

I'm not even opening the throttle until December, just taking myself up to just under 90% for some 10 minute and 20 minute intervals to remind myself what going hard feels like!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Better get doing them interval sessions then bud, if im to blow you away next year :wink:

Might start all that malarke around end of dec/jan, bit to early for me yet!!

Did he set you a annual plan then luke?
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Doing these sorts of intervals goes against pretty much any training plan I've ever seen (unless you're riding cyclo-cross!), so I'm interested if you are using them as a part of a plan or just for fun :D I'm prepared to be convinced but I'm holding back to less than 80% myself.
  • wheeler585 wrote:
    Did he set you a annual plan then luke?

Two sections at the moment. Now till New Year, New Year till racing season, but depending how the first part goes depends what I'll be doing in the second if you get me?

@ Disgruntledgoat: Maximum I hit during the workout was 190.

@ Inseine: Yeh they're part of a plan. Like I said at the start my legs are relatively weak in comparison to my CV system, with my VO2 being high but my peak power relatively low. Basically the aim over the winter is to try and build up my power (and lose weight!).

The lad coaching me and the physiologist at the Uni both agree that intervals are an essential part through out the winter, but I think once a week is enough. The rest of the time is spent on the road training to HR so I'm not going silly there, so this is really the only sessions I actually leather myself.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • wheeler585 wrote:
    @ Inseine: Yeh they're part of a plan. Like I said at the start my legs are relatively weak in comparison to my CV system, with my VO2 being high but my peak power relatively low. Basically the aim over the winter is to try and build up my power (and lose weight!).
    Peak power (as I understand it) and VO2max are not related. But that might very well depend on what they/you mean by peak power.
  • wheeler585 wrote:
    Peak power (as I understand it) and VO2max are not related. But that might very well depend on what they/you mean by peak power.

Erm, I can't explain it myself but could get an answer for you? I'd try and explain it how I understood it (or didn't) but it will probably be wrong.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Sorry for the long wait for the reply Alex! Only had chance to catch up with the lad who conducted the test.

Basically for my weight and height he feels my peak power is below what he would have estimated by roughly 50 watts.

For the CV stuff, basically my VO2 score is very high considering I'm carrying quite a bit of surplus weight at the moment (or to sue his phrase, a fat bastard :lol:), and this should increase as I drop a bit (and my peak power should also increase in relation to my weight, if these intervals work :wink: )

He even admitted that VO2 are not related. I'd for some reason linked them in my head.

Hope that's some help!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    GavH wrote:

Any hill climb race will get you there
  • Yer not wrong...

My last hill climb was 4 minutes long at an average heart-rate of 96% with a maximum of 98%.

OW.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Has he got you doing any other training apart from these hard 30 second intervals?
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Gav888 wrote:
    Has he got you doing any other training apart from these hard 30 second intervals?

As far as interval stuff goes this is it at the moment. I'm hopefully getting in for some more tests before I break up at christmas and they're going to re-assess my training on the back of that. Hopefully the intervals will have had an effect, and they're on about changing it after the christmas break to doing intervals twice a week and dropping some of the road time.

They also have me dong strength and conditioning work twice a week, and I get out on the road 3-4 times a week depending on if my legs are in pieces from the weights. Although I actually stuck to the recommended training zones on the road today. Up here, with the wind and the terrain, you're going quite slow pretty much all the time :shock:

PTP Runner Up 2015