Do any of us actually enjoy the job they commute to

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    To be honest I would a big lottery win and then work at BM Soho for the rest of my days part time. Might even do a courier job on the other days or two.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I think a big windfall for me would enable me to set up working independently, and perhaps moving to another country to work. Don;t think I'd want to pack in working quite yet.
  • StuAff wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I like my job, most of the time, but ultimately I'd rather not have a job at all. I know we aren't supposed to feel like this, there's supposed to be a work ethic inside us that means we can't really just enjoy a life of leisure. But I bet I could give it a damn good go.

Believe me, I wish I didn't feel like this, I wish I deep down loved going to work. And I do love it when things go well, love the stimulation of at least part of my job. But the default is "I'd rather not be here" and I can't see that ever changing in whatever job I were to do.

+ another 1. It's not the money, though being fairly low paid doesn't help. And unlike many 'colleagues', I do feel the work is important and worth doing properly. But I'd happily walk out in thirty seconds and never look back given the chance. I would do something- but I'd rather because it was my choice.

+1 to both posts.

I don't live to work, but I do put my back into it and do the best job I can do, partly out of a sense of personal pride but also because it seems to take just as much effort doing the bare minimum and hiding it from the boss' as just cracking on with it.

but also being useful in certain areas allows me a tad more leeway to commit professional suicide by standing up to 'them' and arguing the toss for bike rights.
  • Big windfall for me would mean finishing my PhD then opening my own bike shop and buying a house and getting a motorbike.

Disturbingly similar to what i intend to do anyway...
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Find a job you truly love and you'll never have to work another day ever again.

For me: comic book writer.

That's an expression I often quote. I think Churchill, is that right?

... skate instructor here, I love it. Though I loved IT contracting when I did that too.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Not sure, a Chinese guy said it to me when I learned how to use the "Dark Hadou"...

Mikey, where do you skate? Where can I get Bauer 90s? Do you go ice skating. I love skating me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I'm a staff nurse on an ICU. I love my job for so many reasons. I even look forward to going back to work after my days off. Infact I'm on AL this week and I've been stuck at home bored to tears.

The only downside of my job is working night shifts and the affect it has on reducing my cycling time. Mainly due to recovery time from the over all loss of sleep.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I like my job. I like most of the people I work with. I like the location, and I like the ride to and from there. The money's OK for what I do, and having been there for a while now, I get a nice amount of annual leave.

It's just a shame there's one or two people that spoil it with horrendously bad, self-centered patronising attitudes. And being such a behemoth of an organisation it tries to think of itself as more than just a job in its employees' eyes. It interferes. It tries to interfere with personal lives, getting into places it has no place being in.... I just want to go there, do my job, and go home again. I have a life outside work.

:(
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Inline skating mate, mostly by the Albert Memorial in Kensington Gardens.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I don't mind my job - as far as jobs go it's by far the best I've had.

Get to work from home sometimes too which is the best invention ever.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    It's a pretty common point that quite a few people like their job - as far as you can like a job. Like a few others, I'm pretty happy with what I do on several levels - intellectual challenge, pay, variety, travel, colleagues, potential for future advancement etc. But if I woke up tomorrow to find £50m in the bank then you wouldn't see me for dust.

However back in the real world, I think I would get bored with too long off. Realistically a good pay off would give me a chance to take 3-6 months off to do a few more things that are on my 'do before I die' list :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    +1 for loving their job. Suppose I'm one of the fortunate few. Like someone else said, I would hate to go to a job I hated. Been there done that, don't want to do it again.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Until last year I'd not had a single unemployed day in over 20 years, then 6 months of semi paid unemployment almost drove me and Mrs itboffin to despair, yet I now find myself in a senior management position I never would have dreamt, it's off the scale boring :(

To the point where I've actually considered looking elsewhere which is frankly heart breaking as my company is such a cool place to work :cry:

All that said if I didn't need to work I sooooooooo wouldn't, sweet jeebuz I could do so much if money wasn't an issue. Failing that I've always fancied teaching which is not that far removed from what I do now in the corp world, if only I didn't have so many financial commitments (Mrs & Mini itboffin)

Did I mention i'm off to Oz in Feb. :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Today is one of those days when I started the day loving my job, then I got there and it was not so nice ......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    In the past, even the recent past, I was one of the opinion work was a necessary evil and I'd do anything not to be there. But I do enjoy being there now, to the extent that I look forward to going back even after the weekends. It's just a shame that one or two little issues spoil it so much :cry:
  • El Diego wrote:
    Thinking of becoming a teacher!
    Ironically, I took a £10k pay cut four years ago to find a job out of teaching. I was getting bored and frustrated with colleagues and the way teaching was going and so, as long as I could pay my mortgage, I was prepared to jump. Also, teaching can take over your life. I wouldn't say I love my current job (broadly, dealing with complaints), but my colleagues are interesting and I have a lot more flexibility with my time.

In effect, I took a pay cut not for my dream job, but so I could take more control of my time.
    linsen wrote:
    Today is one of those days when I started the day loving my job, then I got there and it was not so nice ......
    smiley-hug008.gif
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:

But you rode there SS right? :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    jedster wrote:
    However, if I could get paid 80% for working a 4 day week I would be very tempted to take that. I suspect that's true for quite a lot of relatively well paid people.

I've often thought that......fancy 4 days a week..... :)
  • itboffin
    fossyant wrote:
    jedster wrote:
    However, if I could get paid 80% for working a 4 day week I would be very tempted to take that. I suspect that's true for quite a lot of relatively well paid people.

Great idea but It doesn't work, if you earn enough to only work 4 days a week and still live comfortably you quickly find yourself working more hours / days for less pay, it starts with the odd call from a customer or colleague next thing you know your responding to emails and just finishing off this doc and that analysis.

Doesn't work :(
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    itboffin wrote:
    fossyant wrote:
    jedster wrote:

Great idea but It doesn't work, if you earn enough to only work 4 days a week and still live comfortably you quickly find yourself working more hours / days for less pay, it starts with the odd call from a customer or colleague next thing you know your responding to emails and just finishing off this doc and that analysis.

+1 My wife tried it. Same workload. 20% pay cut.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    fossyant wrote:
    jedster wrote:

Yup +1 Mrs itboffin tried it but then mini itboffin came along and changed all that :lol:

Now i'm poor, more grey than ever and all of my body aches although that last one might not have anything to do with it :)
  • Flexibility would improve most jobs I think.

I'm holding out for the paperless office, myself. Given that, for the most part, my work comes to me and merely requires me to engage my brain, I see no particular reason - other than access to documents and telephonic communication - for engaging my brain in Edinburgh, Portree or a chalet in Lake Louise.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Not sure I always enjoy my job...but I do have the satisfaction of knowing that no matter how bad my day is...Somebodies day is always going to end up worse than mine! :twisted:
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    My long term goal is probably some kind of huge pay-out for an accident. I probably already have all of the requisite symptoms. I just need the accident to blame them all on.

Having said that, I'd be prepared to take on a few more disabling/disfiguring injuries/symptoms if it meant freedom from work.

I'm sure I'm unusual in my level of hatred of jobs, but I really would give, literally, an arm and a leg never to have to have one again.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • itboffin
    Onan wrote:
    My long term goal is probably some kind of huge pay-out for an accident. I probably already have all of the requisite symptoms. I just need the accident to blame them all on.

Having said that, I'd be prepared to take on a few more disabling/disfiguring injuries/symptoms if it meant freedom from work.

I'm sure I'm unusual in my level of hatred of jobs, but I really would give, literally, an arm and a leg never to have to have one again.

Alms for an ex-leper!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But you won't be cycling again either!

If I won the Lotto big, I'd still work, just salary (and even profitability) would no longer be that important, I could just do what I enjoyed!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin wrote:
    fossyant wrote:
    jedster wrote:

Depends on what your job is and who you work for. I work 37.5 hr week in 3 long day shifts. So have 4 days off a week. I don't get any extra work to do, any extra demands, nor any drop in pay. Infact if my workdays are at a weekend then it increases my pay.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • DonDaddyD
    I never understood those who work in jobs that freely intrude on your personal/free time/holdays and insist on long hours/overtime (which is dressed up as optional but is in all things compulsory).

Yes I understand that some people have to do it to and fair play to them. But I don't get those that do and then moan about their jobs. I had a part time job from 16 - 23yrs old, Saturday and Sunday. Sure I had a mobile phone and some independence, money to do things but very nearly never free time to do things in th day and I often felt like I was missing out on a lot.

I promised myself when working full-time I never want to work compulsory weekends, I don't want to be on-call and I don't want to work late unless I choose to.

One of the reasons why I work is to have money to do things during my free time. For me work should supplement my ability to enjoy my free time not intrude upon it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I had a part time job from 16 - 23yrs old, Saturday and Sunday. Sure I had a mobile phone and some independence, money to do things but very nearly never free time to do things in th day and I often felt like I was missing out on a lot.

I promised myself when working full-time I never want to work compulsory weekends, I don't want to be on-call and I don't want to work late unless I choose to.

One of the reasons why I work is to have money to do things during my free time. For me work should supplement my ability to enjoy my free time not intrude upon it.

I agree. But I think it does depend on the job. I wouldn't do something like an office job 7 days a week.

But I could go and join the RAF (I started applying over summer), and spend 6 months on deployment doing 12+hours a day for 7 days a week.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DonDaddyD

I agree. But I think it does depend on the job. I wouldn't do something like an office job 7 days a week.

But I could go and join the RAF (I started applying over summer), and spend 6 months on deployment doing 12+hours a day for 7 days a week.

I've got more time for jobs like that than say an office job insisting you pull in 10hr shifts and will happily call you at home on Sunday when you're playing with the kids to drop everything and return to work.

Working is supposed to support your life. Not your life and the tolerance of loved ones supporting you at work.

Example: Mate in Ireland and his girlfriend in Austria, for work purposes. I said to him that I simply wouldn't me leave my girlfriend while I go abroad for a year to simply further some corporations goals.
    Food Chain number = 4