Do any of us actually enjoy the job they commute to

Comments

• Rich158 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I like my job, most of the time, but ultimately I'd rather not have a job at all. I know we aren't supposed to feel like this, there's supposed to be a work ethic inside us that means we can't really just enjoy a life of leisure. But I bet I could give it a damn good go.

Believe me, I wish I didn't feel like this, I wish I deep down loved going to work. And I do love it when things go well, love the stimulation of at least part of my job. But the default is "I'd rather not be here" and I can't see that ever changing in whatever job I were to do.

+1, my feelings exactly, despite loving my job and having worked bloody hard for 10 years to qualify I'd much rather be living a life of leisure

OK, now.

I'm currently pretty well living a life of leisure. I barely work, I haven't had to sit in a proper office since the 24th of July. I do even less for this job than I did for the last one, and yet I have plenty of cash. Ideal situation?

No.

I'm bored. So bored. It was great for the first month and a half, I did loads, lots of people were around because it was summer, I had a great time. Now everyone's at work while I'm not, everyone's busy and nobody can come out and play. I'm so bored. I ride my bike, I cook, I knit, I'm starting a distance learning degree to give myself something to occupy my time. There is a floor in my loft, I've built a wall, you can't accuse me of loafing.

But god I'm bored. I'm actively, nay, desperately looking for full-time, engaging employment.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Like a lot of the above, if I have to have a job then this one is OK, but I'd rather be with my family and friends instead. I get to travel a bit which I like, it's always interesting but can be very stressful.

I don't understand people who can afford not to work and still carry on. My Dad retired at 49 which is a nice target to aim for - he is incredibly busy but only doing the things he wants to.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ideal situation?

No.

I'm bored. So bored. It was great for the first month and a half, I did loads, lots of people were around because it was summer, I had a great time.

+1 for me. Mrs CJ and I took a sabbatical from work to go travelling. In the end, we had to have a break from travelling (said break largely involving lying by a pool in Fiji :D ). It was good to come back to work, tbh.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Rich158 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I like my job, most of the time, but ultimately I'd rather not have a job at all. I know we aren't supposed to feel like this, there's supposed to be a work ethic inside us that means we can't really just enjoy a life of leisure. But I bet I could give it a damn good go.

Believe me, I wish I didn't feel like this, I wish I deep down loved going to work. And I do love it when things go well, love the stimulation of at least part of my job. But the default is "I'd rather not be here" and I can't see that ever changing in whatever job I were to do.

+1, my feelings exactly, despite loving my job and having worked bloody hard for 10 years to qualify I'd much rather be living a life of leisure

OK, now.

I'm currently pretty well living a life of leisure. I barely work, I haven't had to sit in a proper office since the 24th of July. I do even less for this job than I did for the last one, and yet I have plenty of cash. Ideal situation?

No.

I'm bored. So bored. It was great for the first month and a half, I did loads, lots of people were around because it was summer, I had a great time. Now everyone's at work while I'm not, everyone's busy and nobody can come out and play. I'm so bored. I ride my bike, I cook, I knit, I'm starting a distance learning degree to give myself something to occupy my time. There is a floor in my loft, I've built a wall, you can't accuse me of loafing.

But god I'm bored. I'm actively, nay, desperately looking for full-time, engaging employment.

Actually, L-i-T, you're right, since the end of summer life has become much duller and much less sociable and I am ready to go back to work. However, that is more for the social aspect than the 'achieving' aspect of work.

I guess I just missed out on the 'work ethic' gene.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Come on ladies, the world is full of books to read, art to admire, films/plays to see, bike rides to ride, video games to play, photos to take etc etc. I was unemployed for a couple of months once and I had a whale of a time (although the temptation to have a lunchtime pint was often strong.) I don't need a job to keep me occupied.
  • Coriander
    Come on ladies, the world is full of books to read, art to admire, films/plays to see, bike rides to ride, video games to play, photos to take etc etc. I was unemployed for a couple of months once and I had a whale of a time (although the temptation to have a lunchtime pint was often strong.) I don't need a job to keep me occupied.

I didn't say I was unoccupied. Just without company for more time than I care.
  • Come on ladies, the world is full of books to read, art to admire, films/plays to see, bike rides to ride, video games to play, photos to take etc etc. I was unemployed for a couple of months once and I had a whale of a time (although the temptation to have a lunchtime pint was often strong.) I don't need a job to keep me occupied.

I can see your point, when I was working full-time that's what I always said to people who complained they were bored! A couple of months is fine, in fact I was happy as larry until about 2.5 months, then I don't know what changed but boredom has attacked. I can't put my finger on exactly what's changed, but something has.

I think I might feel the need to do something worthwhile, which is a part of the immense dislike I harbour for my current 'job'.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Rich158 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

OK, now.

No.

A couple of years back I was off ill from work. A severe eye infection, virus that wasn't diagnosed due to complications. So I was in hospital for a month and then told I needed to take at least a month off work, due to air conditioning being bad on the eye. I went INSANE, I did everything I could to try and do but ended up moping around and just depressed beyond all thoughts of anything. The very day I could get back to work I did, I just had to do something productive. Even though I don't love the job, it is satisfying in some ways, being a geek and getting to play with broken computers/strange other devices is fun.

So I can understand how insanificating (my own word I believe) it is for you LIT.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • cjcp wrote:
    Ideal situation?

No.

I'm bored. So bored. It was great for the first month and a half, I did loads, lots of people were around because it was summer, I had a great time.

+1 for me. Mrs CJ and I took a sabbatical from work to go travelling. In the end, we had to have a break from travelling (said break largely involving lying by a pool in Fiji :D ). It was good to come back to work, tbh.

Y'know, I don't really think your example and lit's situation are that similar after all. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've never had an extended time out of work (unless the first year of my PhD counts ;) ) but I know that I would be climbing the walls with boredom within a week or so. All the things James mentions are great but part of their greatness is that they are a change from the stimulation of work.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Ideal situation?

No.

Y'know, I don't really think your example and lit's situation are that similar after all. :wink:

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm just waiting for the chance to catch CJ napping and then a new job no where near the racetrack :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    My job's completely awesome. As well as really enjoying what I do, my responsibility doesn't extend much further than just making sure I get it done. Absolutely no bureaucracy to deal with, and no direct contact with clients (god bless the producers for dealing with that).

My colleagues are mostly similarly aged and like minded, and there's a good chance that any night of the week there's people in the pub directly opposite if I've earned a beer.

Having said that, the fcuking meerkat bit me again this morning when I was trying to measure it up for a new outfit. I hate the little bastard.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I didn't say I was unoccupied. Just without company for more time than I care.

Doesn't sound like you need work, especially if only to gain additional company/social aspect to your life. Sounds like you just crave company/social/a diverse range of human interaction and mental stimulation.

Why not just take up a new socially enriching hobby? Of course you need money to do this and that's where the job comes into play.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • _Brun_ wrote:

Having said that, the fcuking meerkat bit me again this morning when I was trying to measure it up for a new outfit. I hate the little bastard.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Come on ladies, the world is full of books to read, art to admire, films/plays to see, bike rides to ride, video games to play, photos to take etc etc. I was unemployed for a couple of months once and I had a whale of a time (although the temptation to have a lunchtime pint was often strong.) I don't need a job to keep me occupied.

I can see your point, when I was working full-time that's what I always said to people who complained they were bored! A couple of months is fine, in fact I was happy as larry until about 2.5 months, then I don't know what changed but boredom has attacked. I can't put my finger on exactly what's changed, but something has.

I think I might feel the need to do something worthwhile, which is a part of the immense dislike I harbour for my current 'job'.
    What is your current "job"? (Hoping not to sound like a DDD thread here)

(For some reason, this made me think of Rowan Atkinson, saying "Bob".)

I nearly drove myself demented at my last "job". I was surrounded by people who should have been my peers (academics) and who treated my like a peeon (not the sub atomic particle they are looking for at Cern) and who quite obviously had no interest in the outside world. I had the choice of leaving or having a "Falling Down" moment.

I left and took a stonking pay cut for a couple of years and knocked out around 70% of my free time in order to do something more interesting.

Never been happier at work. I'm still miserable, but then I am Always Tyred.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    _Brun_ wrote:

Do us all a favour an put the little fecker down.
  • _Brun_ wrote:

Do us all a favour an put the little pecker down.
    Oh really!

(I may have edited a little)
  • What is your current "job"? (Hoping not to sound like a DDD thread here)

(For some reason, this made me think of Rowan Atkinson, saying "Bob".)

I nearly drove myself demented at my last "job". I was surrounded by people who should have been my peers (academics) and who treated my like a peeon (not the sub atomic particle they are looking for at Cern) and who quite obviously had no interest in the outside world. I had the choice of leaving or having a "Falling Down" moment.

I left and took a stonking pay cut for a couple of years and knocked out around 70% of my free time in order to do something more interesting.

Never been happier at work. I'm still miserable, but then I am Always Tyred.

My current 'job' is working for a guy setting up the UK arm of his benelux-based property development company. The problem is that the guy's completely useless, I'm amazed he's done what he's done so far.

I'm looking at various options, all of which involve a large pay cut, but all of which seem to take a lot of time to process!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Yeah right, I'd be signing my own death warrant. Have you not seen Eastern Promises?
  • Coriander
    _Brun_ wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Yeah right, I'd be signing my own death warrant. Have you not seen Eastern Promises?

• DonDaddyD
    That's another question worth considering,

No not Brun's fecker... :shock:

Could I take a pay cut for the job I really love?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

It depends on how much you hate the job you're currently in.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I work in a call centre dealing with the great Manchester public, which is slowly destroying my faith in humanity. I completed a degree in Computing and started as a temp after I graduated, that was a year ago! I have been intending to look for something else but just got stuck in a rut.

Thinking of becoming a teacher!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It depends on how much you hate the job you're currently in.

I don't think I could love any job that wasn't paying me what I felt I should be paid.

That may sound bad, but it's work and the nature is do it to get paid, to live in society. So I think my happiness at work is a combination of the job (time there, people, sense of achievement and relisation/growth etc) and pay (amongst other things).
    Food Chain number = 4

• RossMu
    RossMu Posts: 59
    biondino wrote:

Another +1 - I'd maybe take out the first 4 words though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I love my job, although most of you will probably consider working (as a development engineer) for car manufacturers as some kind of a spawn of the devil LOL.

Downside in my current role is I get to travel to a developing country frequantly and the city I work in is a 'bit' of a pit! Local bikes are dreadful machines unless any one wants a rod braked single speed steel wheeled (not round of course!) bone shaker imported?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Done it. Twice.

(Meaning I was mistaken the first time, but it did at least get me out of the South East).
  • andy83 wrote:
    What is your job?

I work with people with learning disabilites, so although the pay isnt great the fact im helping people everyday makes me me happy

I work with a great staff team and as its only a small residential home 6 people live there its a very homely environment and although i have a lot of paper work to do not one day is the same and i get to basically go wherever we like from park visits and shopping to steam train rides and sledging

as i say the money isnt great and i actually used to earn quite a bit more in my other job but wouldnt change my job for anything now

maybe its the sort of person i am, i look after my disabled brother aswell so it must just be summin in me.

and to top it all off i work 3 days a week and finsih at 9pm so get a nice ride from work with no rush hour traffic and get at least two days off in the week to go on pleasure rides

simular line of work though half the size with 3 though they are at the very profound end which some people find hard as there is very little feedback.

and yes I enjoy my work, though the hours can be long/early/late but the commute is lovely ( Bushy Park ) and very short so how ever tired you are it's hardly a slog.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    It is interesting to see that other people like their jobs but would rather not work given the choice

I like my job and would not want to stop work completely. However, if I could get paid 80% for working a 4 day week I would be very tempted to take that. I suspect that's true for quite a lot of relatively well paid people. The problem is that most employers would be very sceptical seeing that the desire to have more leisure time as showing that you were not really committed to the job.*

* I'd say it's a bit different who want more time to look after children rather than have more leisure

Cheers,
    J