Article about the internals of Sky

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sky should be an impressive team, the budget is very big. Apparently all the riders have been given iPhones and Apple laptops. Ironic, since I didn't think powermeters were compatible with Macs*.

But if you come from Barloworld you'll just be impressed if you get a bike that fits! Henderson is ex-Columbia, so if he's impressed then that's something else as Bob Stapleton had a fairly lavish budget.

(* cue some Jobbite evangelist :wink: )
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think I'm pretty safe in saying that none of us here have steered the Track team to more golds than you can shake a stick at.

Whatever Brailsford wants to do is fine by me. I'll take the pi$$ at the end of the season if they havent won anything.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    cougie wrote:
    I think I'm pretty safe in saying that none of us here have steered the Track team to more golds than you can shake a stick at.

Whatever Brailsford wants to do is fine by me. I'll take the pi$$ at the end of the season if they havent won anything.

+ lots
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    cougie wrote:

So by that reckoning someone who steered a judo team to loads of medals should be able to run a pro cycling team? :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:
    Ironic, since I didn't think powermeters were compatible with Macs*.

(* cue some Jobbite evangelist :wink: )

I have both a powermeter AND a Mac. They do talk to each other!
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    the last team i can recall recieving this shake up level was england rugby team when clive woodward became boss. he was staggered previous boss didnt have a PC> he did all the phsycological stuff and business analyst type approcah and they achieved their objective of the world cup..
    as others said I will mock if the team are garbage on the road, am going to watch their season with interest.
  • cougie
    iainf72 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

So by that reckoning someone who steered a judo team to loads of medals should be able to run a pro cycling team? :wink:

I'm sure theres a bit more of a carry over from track to road than there is from mats to road. And dont forget - lets look at all the British Talent thats around now that BC have helped create. I cant even tell you how many continental pros we have now. A few years back that would have been very easy to do.

Nothings guaranteed on the road - but I'd be pretty sure that Sky wont disappoint us.
  • iainf72
    But the Sky mumbo-jumbo being talked about here is not cycling related particularly.

If you put EBH in Milram next year, would he win races?
  • Pokerface
    Plus - it's not like SKY is starting with a bunch of no name riders. They have some decent talent already - and it'll just a matter of making them better. Until 2011 when they can purchase anyone they want that they don;t currently already own. :)
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Apparently all the riders have been given iPhones and Apple laptops.

Is that so they can always access this forum as it is where they get all their advice :lol:

God that article made me want to be sick, what a load of cobblers. Still SKY will get results because unlike most teams they in effect have national back up and all the facilites/staff etc. the taxpayer/lottery has provided and that puts them way above what most teams could dream of and afford.
  • Pokerface
    eh wrote:
    Apparently all the riders have been given iPhones and Apple laptops.

Is that so they can always access this forum as it is where they get all their advice :lol:

God that article made me want to be sick, what a load of cobblers. Still SKY will get results because unlike most teams they in effect have national back up and all the facilites/staff etc. the taxpayer/lottery has provided and that puts them way above what most teams could dream of and afford.

Exactly what "facilities/staff, etc" do you think SKY are using that the taxpayer has funded?

I think you'll find that the staff from SKY are completely separate from the BC staff - and unless Team Sky is fielding a track team (not the SKY+HD track team), then they aren't getting the use of any facilities either! (Plus the velodrome is actually owned and run by the City of Manchester - not BC!)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Isn't the City of Manchester funded by taxpayers ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Isn't the City of Manchester funded by taxpayers ?

No. It's funded by parking fines. ;)
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Exactly what "facilities/staff, etc" do you think SKY are using that the taxpayer has funded?

Presumably people like Brailsford and Ellingworth are drawing salaries from the Team Sky budget now rather than British Cycling? Or at least their salaries at BC are pro-rata for the days they spend working on Sky stuff in relation to BC stuff.

Presumably any BC vehicles, staff or facilities being used this week are all being hired at the appropriate rates.
  • cougie
    EBH I think is their star rider - he was amazing in the GB Tour in 08 and phenomenal in GB Tour last year.

I cant understand the animosity here towards Sky. We havent had a 'British' Pro team since Malcolm Elliott was young, and ANC Halfords only lasted a season or two anyway.

I'm sure Team Sky are fortunate that the BC set up will serve them well - but so what ? If we get British riders doing well and inspire the next generation of cyclists - that can only be a good thing.

Who knows - we may even get drivers giving us a bit more space on the roads. (unlikely though)
  • iainf72
    cougie wrote:
    I cant understand the animosity here towards Sky. We havent had a 'British' Pro team since Malcolm Elliott was young, and ANC Halfords only lasted a season or two anyway.

It's because they're overhyped for what they are. (ie, fairly average overall)

The biggest win any of the British riders on the team had this year was Russ D. in the Tour of Ireland, so it's no wonder they're so desperate to sign a big name. And that's no disrespect to Russ - His ride into Cork was brilliant.
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    i dont think theyre average, if all of their wins had been combined this year theyd have finished 3rd best team, i dont think thats too average.i still thin theres at least 1 more signing yet, money on swift who will be a year wiser and will prob guarentee 3/4 wins
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    A lot of people seem to have made their minds up they were going to dislike Sky the minute they announced their intention to become a road team. I guess there's a particular brand of cycling fan who likes the sport for its minority aspect and actively dislikes huge sponsors coming in with the vague chance it all might end up with a bit of mainstream cred. What we really need is an obscure bunch of Spanish boiler makers forming a new team instead.

I quite like the BC track team but can't really get worked up about the Sky road team. However I would now like them to win absolutely tons of races next year, just so the hairshirt wearers on here can get full value for money!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Let's give Team GB aka Sky a couple of years to bed in.

In fact, I'm beginning to come round to this inner chimp idea.

For the past 48 hours, I have been dutifully obeying every command mine has given me, and it does indeed make life easier. I have been eating cakes, drinking alcohol mid-week, soaking in long baths, and even reading Georgette Heyer.
  • Tom Butcher
    Not speaking for anyone else but the fact I think the inner chimp idea is bs doesn't mean I have any animosity towards Sky. I do have animosity towards them but just not because of the inner chimp thing - more because of the Murdoch thing. Having said all that it's not like I hate them or anything - I just prefer other teams.

Also - one or two have said they think Sky are going about it the right way but will take the piss out of their ideas if they fail - isn't that a bit like having it all ways - at least have the decency to stick to your guns and eat humble pie if proven wrong !

• iainf72
    I'm actually fairly indifferent to them. I don't dislike them like I dislike Columbia. Or Saxo Bank.
  • Tom Butcher
    Disliking Columbia is a given though isn't it - for the kit if nothing else ?

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    (in a very small voice)

I like Columbia.
  • Pokerface
    Tusher wrote:
    (in a very small voice)

I like Columbia.

(said in a much louder voice)

I like Columbia too!!! Even the kit 8)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:
    Let's give Team GB aka Sky a couple of years to bed in.

In fact, I'm beginning to come round to this inner chimp idea.

For the past 48 hours, I have been dutifully obeying every command mine has given me, and it does indeed make life easier. I have been eating cakes, drinking alcohol mid-week, soaking in long baths, and even reading Georgette Heyer.

I thought that Cav was your chimp.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm actually fairly indifferent to them. I don't dislike them like I dislike Columbia. Or Saxo Bank.

You don't dislike Columbia? My god that's a turn around. What has Uncle Bob done to stop the hatred?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Isn't rooting for columbia a bit like rooting for the house in blackjack?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You don't dislike Columbia? My god that's a turn around. What has Uncle Bob done to stop the hatred?

I did say I dislike Columbia if you read it again.
  • I'm indifferent to Sky too, though I quite like a couple of their riders (EBH and Russ) so obviously would be happy for individuals to win. I don't really support 'teams' in cycling and nor do I have an all consuming desire to see Brits winning, hence my apathy towards Sky. I don't though particularly care for having it constantly rammed down my throat by various cycling websites, magazines and newspapers about how great Sky are and why we should all support them because they're a British team, which is partly why I'm 'turned off'.

As Iain once put, countries are a 19th century concept. Fair enough lots of people will support them because they're British, good for them. Besides if we all supported the same teams and riders on here it'd get pretty dull.
  • Tom Butcher
    +1 for Russ Downing - hope he can have a really good 5 years or so - his ride in Ireland was class.