SCR beer and ale

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    Why would you go to a pub to order a warm beverage?

Some ales after they've been in a cold fridge for two days? Fine, provided they're drunk quickly and not given the opportunity to warm up. Otherwise, ale is rancid stuff. Yack!

Heretic. Burn Him!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Rich158 wrote:
    a cold pint of Broadside makes for a fantastic Sunday :lol:

Its the morning after when I find broadside makes its presence felt... Combined with curry can make a potent brew!

That's why I gave up smoking, lighting a cigarette was just too dangerous :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Yet more...

Fraoch Heather Ale
    Isle of Skye Black Cuillin
    Isle of Skye Red Cuillin

Happy memories of hogmany at the Clachaig Inn 8)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:

Some ales after they've been in a cold fridge for two days? Fine, provided they're drunk quickly and not given the opportunity to warm up. Otherwise, ale is rancid stuff. Yack!

Heretic. Burn Him!
    I'm not sure he's really Welsh, you know :?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Timothy Taylors
    London Pride
    Fullers Discovery

All excellent choices, how about these, it's actually brewed 6 miles from my house at the point where we ML social riders watched a demo of Jash's awesome speed on that wicked descent, remember it? :wink:

Ramsbury Flint Knapper or Gold
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    iain_j wrote:
    Yet more...

Fraoch Heather Ale
    Isle of Skye Black Cuillin
    Isle of Skye Red Cuillin

From my last trip to Skye about 12 years ago I have to say:

+1
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Jouster from Goff's brewery in Winchcombe, Glos, if you can get hold of it. Mmmmm, hoppy :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:

Heretic. Burn Him!

Ignore him, I believe he's from the west :shock: they're all strange over there.

Now then DDD et al this gives me an idea, brewery tour!!!!

I can recommend many but the Fullers at Chiswick springs to mind and a good starting point, anyone interested?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Its a bottled one and american but the Sierra Nevada IPA is fine.

Timothy Taylors, Black Sheep Fullers LP and Chiswick are lovely.

Also partial to a well kept pint of Youngs Bitter
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:

I can recommend many but the Fullers at Chiswick springs to mind and a good starting point, anyone interested?

Yes!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    TommyEss wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Because the real ales are undergoing a second fermentation in the bottle/cask and as such need to be at a suitable temperature to let the yeast grow. Too cold and they don't do much.

Sounds like Yakult or something. Bleurgh! :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ahhhhhhhh Innis and Gunn... I'd forgotten that existed...

they've started doing it in Rum casks as well now :D
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    cjcp wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Because the real ales are undergoing a second fermentation in the bottle/cask and as such need to be at a suitable temperature to let the yeast grow. Too cold and they don't do much.

Sounds like Yakult or something. Bleurgh! :wink:

Yes - very friendly bacteria indeed...

"I bloody love you *hic* mate..." :oops:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    Abbot Ale is fabulous and is my favourite beer/ale, which gives me an excuse to post this picture

785_936_Abbot_Ale_Beer__(kl.pdl).jpg

Ruddles is also rather nice, and if your on a budget Greene King IPA is rather nice too, 12 cans for less than £8 from tesco at the mo.

I had something quite special a little over a year ago at a pub in Reading, called Bonfire Toffee, it was perfect for the time of year :D

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I'm gonna say you were in The Hobgoblin or The Nag's Head?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Given my name

Fursty Ferret :D

+ 1 Cains
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    cjcp wrote:

Heretic. Burn Him!

It's because he doesn't really like the taste of beer, so he has to drink it cold enough to numb the taste buds. Perhaps he'd be better off with an alcopop?
  • cjcp
    andrew_s wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Heretic. Burn Him!

It's because he doesn't really like the taste of beer, so he has to drink it cold enough to numb the taste buds. Perhaps he'd be better off with an alcopop?

But, but, but, it, it, it's...............WARM!

Do you lot belong to Morris Dancing Clubs too? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Ahhhhhhhh Innis and Gunn... I'd forgotten that existed...

they've started doing it in Rum casks as well now :D

*googles.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Harveys Best: What I grew up with, plenty round Kent.

Jennings Cumberland ale

Sam Smith's OB (Cheap as well but can be very nice)
  • Mmmmm Abbot Ale is goooood :)

Also Badger Brewery's Tanglefoot, and their Golden Champion's lovely for the summer
    Theakston's Old Peculiar is also a favourite
    I used to be partial to Old Speckled Hen too... until I had one too many one evening(!)
    FCN 10
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    The Gale's Seafarer Ale is lovely (I am hoping that somewhere in my family that Brerwey belongs to us :wink: ) also a portion of the cost goes to Seafarers UK charity which have helped my Sea Cadet Unit in the past so spot on.

Also other good ones.

Tangle Foot
    Admrials Ale
    Spitfire

All of those are avaliable in the usualy super markets.

Go a little off the beaten track and there is a cracking ale from a micro brewery in Dorset called Piddle in a Bottle
    :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Sorry to be a wet blanket but 5 pints = about 1000 calories. :cry:
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • cjcp
    That's "recovery", no? And recovery is an essential part of training. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I'm quite partial to Badger Ales, Tangle Foot being one of them. Hadn't heard of them until I found a mixed case of 16 bottles for £15 at Costco - gone through a few.

If you're ever in South Wales the Plough and Harrow always has some great ales with the added bonus of being in a great area for cycling.

http://www.theploughmonknash.com/index.htm

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Got introduced to real ales when I was assistant manager at Ye Olde Starre Inne briefly, when trained on cellar management I was told it was proper to taste the ales to make sure it was settled properly (had a bit of help in this from some friendly regulars from York Brewery!) and I really wish I kept some sort of record, or 'tasting guide' because there were some seriously spectacular beers coming through.

But my real favourite that I've not found elsewhere was Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild. It's quite rare outside of the immediate area of the brewery, so AFAIK we were the only pub in York serving it. And it drew so many drinkers in! Dark and sweet, sweeter than Old Peculier if you like that, but with a 6% kick. Lovely stuff, but I've not been able to find it since.
    This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Ok sorry but, What does SCR Mean?

Andy

PS Not really an ale drinker, but Deibles cask lager is goodstuff.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    pigeon42 wrote:
    Mmmmm Abbot Ale is goooood :)

Also Badger Brewery's Tanglefoot, and their Golden Champion's lovely for the summer
    Theakston's Old Peculiar is also a favourite
    I used to be partial to Old Speckled Hen too... until I had one too many one evening(!)

+1 to Speckled Hen and Old Peculiar

Winter Warmer used to be good, as did Fullers ESB, god it takes me back to my youth :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Magibob wrote:
    Ok sorry but, What does SCR Mean?

Andy

PS Not really an ale drinker, but Deibles cask lager is goodstuff.

Oh man you have some reading to do
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Thank you, (Er I think, only 740 pages to go. :-) )