Flandis

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2009 in Pro race
As rumoured, he's parted company with OUCH

There was talk he'd signed to Rock Racing but he wants to compete in Europe again.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    As rumoured, he's parted company with OUCH

There was talk he'd signed to Rock Racing but he wants to compete in Europe again.

Day late and a dollar short again, but I'm assuming he has "served his time"?
    Off topic but you've got to wonder just how sturdy those artificial hips really are. I know he has raced some, but a season in Europe?????
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:
    Day late and a dollar short again, but I'm assuming he has "served his time"?
    Off topic but you've got to wonder just how sturdy those artificial hips really are. I know he has raced some, but a season in Europe?????

He has indeed. He's also the first person to be stripped of a yellow jersey which is very very embarrassing. I don't think many teams will be overly keen to be associated with him.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Wouldn't be suprised about him going to Rock.
    Surely he'll have a limited European season if he does go to them, given they're not the most popular team in Europe?
    I'm guessing it's as much about the money as anything.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    bikerZA wrote:
    Surely he'll have a limited European season if he does go to them, given they're not the most popular team in Europe?

Forget about the yellow jersey stuff, he's not actually any good anymore.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Reading this interview with an Ex-Rock Racing rider, I think Rock would be a bad move if Flandis could get anyone else to hire him

http://www.podiuminsight.com/2009/09/18 ... unplugged/
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • dennisn
    bikerZA wrote:

I'm guessing that with Professional sports it's ALWAYS about the money.
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Reading this interview with an Ex-Rock Racing rider, I think Rock would be a bad move if Flandis could get anyone else to hire him

http://www.podiuminsight.com/2009/09/18 ... unplugged/

good article, no doubt that if they took on landis, someone else would get the shaft.. the team seems to have no morals
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    bikerZA wrote:

Yeah, but there's probably more money riding for a crummy third-rate European team than there is riding for a top North American team.

I thought RR were in financial strife, anyway. Didn't they make half the team amateur last year? That Bahati fella got the shaft.
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    bikerZA wrote:

Yeah, but there's probably more money riding for a crummy third-rate European team than there is riding for a top North American team.

Could be. Like I said it's usually about the money. H*ll, come to think of it, my choice of jobs is usually about the money. Why would a pro rider be any different?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    calvjones wrote:

Is it just me or is anyone else a little bit reassured when a rider tests positive, does the ban, comes back and suddenly they're not very good? There is something more than a little suspicious when a rider tests positive, comes back clean and still rides the whole peloton off their wheel.
  • dennisn
    calvjones wrote:

Is it just me or is anyone else a little bit reassured when a rider tests positive, does the ban, comes back and suddenly they're not very good? There is something more than a little suspicious when a rider tests positive, comes back clean and still rides the whole peloton off their wheel.

.... but if he comes back CLEAN(key word CLEAN) and still rides away it might also prove that he never needed drugs in the first place or the drugs he was using didn't really work for him. It wouldn't seem suspisious to me if he were IN FACT CLEAN. Clean is clean or is it not? :? :? I can't go along with the theory that because someone wins a lot that they MUST be "dirty".
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you choosing not to believe his positive on that tour stage dennis ??
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I doubt he's riding for Rock Racing as he wants to race in Europe. I think he's gonna end up with BMC or something like that.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    donrhummy wrote:
    I doubt he's riding for Rock Racing as he wants to race in Europe. I think he's gonna end up with BMC or something like that.

Last I heard - e.g. when Evans signed up with then=m; there were no more spots on the team roster.

That may have changed by then, but I don't he'll ride for BMC.
  • iainf72
    donrhummy wrote:

Rock will be competing in Europe next season. They've got the same licence as BMC.
  • Rock rode a number of Euro races this year, mostly in Spain, due to having Sevilla and Mancebo in their squad.

Dennis: Just a quick point. He came back and raced slow, so there's no if about FLandis.
    Can't even use the old hip excuse, as he managed to ride that Tour on a leg and a half.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,479
    BMC want to get a Tour wildcard. Hiring Landis would count against them at ASO so surely they are not that dumb?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Andy Riihs and John Lelangue were badly burned by Landis. Lelangue was brought into the Phonak team to clean the stables but within moments of finally landing a big win it was shown to be a fake.

Believe it or not, Lelangue simply had no idea of Landis's links to Ferrari and the widespread doping practices that ultimately got him ejected from the Tour de France. The Belgian had done a 10 year stint at ASO before joining Phonak and so was the perfect candidate to please ASO but the Landis affair came close to provoking a breakdown after he realised he was hoodwinked by Landis and some of the team's staff. It took some time for him to get his mojo back.

Landis at BMC? Forget it! Rasmussen is more likely to join Rabobank.
  • There are better, younger and cleaner riders available than Landis for teams to pick up. He's left it too late to get into a decent team with any chance of riding any big races in europe. I don't even think RadioShack would touch him, maybe some lower league Spanish or Portuguese team might take him if he pays his own way but the stupid way he got caught in the tour will count against him, he's obviously a bit of an idiot using blood from a steroid phase in july so why on earth would anyone risk takign him on.

The yanks might class him as a tour winner but the euros will just think of him as to big a risk.
  • iainf72
    he's obviously a bit of an idiot using blood from a steroid phase in july so why on earth would anyone risk takign him on.

Sigh - That's not true you know.

The testosterone would've been from a patch for recovery, not from blood.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    he's obviously a bit of an idiot using blood from a steroid phase in july so why on earth would anyone risk takign him on.

Sorry but you're wrong.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Sorry but you're wrong.

When this theory was floated, a blood doping expert said the testosterone wouldn't have come from a transfusion.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    For the testosterone to have come from a transfusion, the pouch of blood would typically hold 700 to 800ml of blood. A pro rider is likely to have 5000ml of blood in circulation and so for the reported concentration levels (Landis's positive was very positive), the pouch would have had to have been extremely concentrated in testosterone, so the chances of it coming from a transfusion are quite small. I think Dick Pound said "You'd think he'd be violating every virgin within 100 miles" given the concentration levels.
  • iainf72
    Not only that, the other old samples they tested also showed an external testosterone source which would indicate continued use.

There was a school boy error at work but it was leaving a patch on for too long.

And as someone pointed out to me a while ago, perhaps he knew and that's why he did so much water during the stage.
  • dennisn
    cougie wrote:

No, not at all. Just commenting that "IF CLEAN" and he rides just as well as ever, that must mean he may have talent. Oh, I suppose it might make me think that he's doing drugs again, but if tested(and he surely will be) and found to be clean, well, then as far as I'm concerned he's clean.
  • RadioShack Team Will Make Debut in Australia Former U.S. Postal teammate Floyd Landis may be invited to race for the new team, Armstrong said.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... OlICHp2bpI
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • lucybears wrote:
    RadioShack Team Will Make Debut in Australia Former U.S. Postal teammate Floyd Landis may be invited to race for the new team, Armstrong said.

Pharmo doesn't help himself, does he.
  • dennisn
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    lucybears wrote:
    RadioShack Team Will Make Debut in Australia Former U.S. Postal teammate Floyd Landis may be invited to race for the new team, Armstrong said.

Pharmo doesn't help himself, does he.

But isn't this what you want. More possible Lance scandal. I would think that most of the
    Lance detractors would be loving this announcement. I say that tongue in cheek, but it would seem to have a bit of truth to it.
  • More hot air.
    Flandis will not enhance Shack's Tour credentials, therefore it's just the usual pot stirring.
    Not to mention the fact that he can't keep up anymore.
    Still, he certainly fits in with the team demographic.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.