Rehab from Hip Replacement

mackdaddy
mackdaddy Posts: 310
Need to tap into experience as I'm sure it is around, there is a thread on commuting but my question is more specific for here.

I am due to have a Hip Resurfacing op (or Birmingham Hip Replacement) early in the new year. I'm 39 yo, not carrying any excess weight and am just about managing to train 3 times per week most weeks (albeit on light load) to keep the pedals going until the op.

I want to be back up and running (in a cycling sense) as quickly as I can. I have a high pain threshold (that isn't bragging, it is the stupidity that got me to this stage in the first place!) so if I can get back on the bike without damaging my overall recovery then I will.

Question is, has anyone else had it done or know a cyclist who has and how long before they got back in the saddle and then back to normal/better?

No horror stories though please :shock:

Comments

• brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Hi,
    I'm 37 and had both my hips replaced in 1996 due to arthritis. Mine were full replacements so can't really comment specifically on the re-surfacing type but hopefully some of it will relate.

After the operation, I was on crutches for 10 weeks, then weight bearing exercises were introduced. After just over 3 months I was put on an exercise bike to try and help build up muscle that I had lost from being on crutches. With it being both hips it was about 6 months before I was able to throw my leg over the crossbar of my road bike but that would probably have been different had it been only one hip affected.

I just took it easy and gradually built my strength up. I didn't get any guidance from physios or my surgeon so just did what I felt I was capable of. Now, 13 years later, I cycle about 800 mile a month in the summer, do 100 mile sportifs and 10 mile TT's. The surgeon who I see says cycling (and swimming) are the best forms of exercise as they are non weight bearing and he was happy to sign off my medical certificate for the Marmotte sportif which I completed last year.

I hope this helps but anything else you want to know about my experience just let me know - Brucey
  • Thanks Brucey. I think it is a bit different but it is helpful to hear you're back in the saddle so to speak.
    Not sure of the details but the nurse reckons they will have me walking on it the day after the op and kick me out of the hospital within a couple of days (that the NHS for you - but suits me!)
    I'm still aiming for the Landis on Bike in 6 days target! :lol:
  • Hi There

http://www.thehipclinic.co.uk/physiotherapy_n.htm

I do rehab for a lot hip resurfacings, and lots of young guys, you will be back on the bike in no time, I have had guys cycling at 3 weeks.. on a static bike, but cycling nonethe less!

The above link is a talk I did a while ago to some physio's, scroll to the bottom of the webpage, a powerpoint presentation.

Good Luck

D
  • Thanks D

I'll have a look at the article tomorrow.
    Lee
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    A confession :
    My name is Moaner and Brucey's posting had be wiping the screen with my thumb! Anyone else?