What parts and options do YOU want?

Comments

• _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    just a small niggle but there is room for a simple solution

that's the origin of ideas that are either sheer genius or completely pointless.

Hey!
    I'm either a genius or an idiot - score!

i'd quite like something that stops it always being the newest and shiniest bit of kit on your bike that gets broken instead of the old stuff.

you mean like a self destruct mechanism for parts more than 2 years old?
    Not really active
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    more like an indestructibility warranty
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    I'd like to see the option of if your pure mental hardcore like me ...

Hitting the trails in the old fashion form no suspension .. I'd like to see manufactuers offer the option of hardtail's with no Shock's

Who needs sussies aprt fae women and trannies
  • colintrav

You would only get that kind of build quaiity of it were made in the 16 century tbh

I watched a programme once which a valve for a garden fountain was 150 yrs old before it was replaced ..

You just can't get workmanship nowadays ..
  • An adjustable on the fly seatpost that doesnt cost more than a bike
  • _Ferret_
    colintrav wrote:
    I'd like to see the option of if your pure mental hardcore like me ...

Hitting the trails in the old fashion form no suspension .. I'd like to see manufactuers offer the option of hardtail's with no Shock's

Who needs sussies aprt fae women and trannies

I think many manufacturers already make "hardcore downhill hardtails", and I think most of them come without a shock (surprising though this is for a hardtail). And I'm also quite sure there are enough rigid forks available, like sonic said - most are too heavy for light riders but sound like just the thing you're after.
    Not really active
  • _Ferret_
    colintrav wrote:

You would only get that kind of build quaiity of it were made in the 16 century tbh

I watched a programme once which a valve for a garden fountain was 150 yrs old before it was replaced ..

You just can't get workmanship nowadays ..

wow!
    150 years without water in their fountain - what kind of rich idiots would ruin their garden display in such a manner!?
    Not really active
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i'd like a hard-hitting full susser, but with only 120 travel. Or a fork that is as strong as a pike, but 120mm fixed (not u turn) travel (i know you can get pike uturn, but they are heavier and you can't get dual air)
  • I'd like to see a resurgence in V-Brakes! There aren't enough options for a decent lightweight frame and forks to build up a nice simple bike that just works.

Do agree with what has been said about the completely rigid bikes as well. A £200 rigid with Vs is going to be a much better investment for someone that wants to ride to work or around the local lakes/towpath, than a £200 full-susser with disc brakes.
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • A more modular nature in fork ranges. So you can change between vans/float/talas. Ir get drop in BBMC for reba/sid/pike

continuously variable transmission

Standardized headset internals

more 135mm bolt through rear ends on hardcore hardtails, so the rear triangle can be built lighter without losing stiffness.

better paint finishes

wide, light, grippy fast rolling tyre, maybe using synthetic gecko skin

27.2mm decent drop seatposts

20mm maxle lite sids
  • 2step on more RS forks alongside u-turn
  • colintrav
    supersonic wrote:
    Any holes in the market you think need filling? Any manufacturer missing a trick? Post your ideas here (within reason!).

Personally I'd like to see some lighter weight fork options for cheaper bikes and lighter riders/kids. Most 250 quid bikes have some horrific lump of clanking steel on the front, which you simply don't need for light off roading. So more rigid fork options, or a narrow stanchioned fork like the old aluminium legged Judies.

Do I suspect your reason for asking this is for a possible feature in the next edtion ???

And are you going to Interview those companies and ask then there opinions and and put forwards the consumer's views as well
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing to do with the magazine - I just wondered if people thought on the same lines as myself, and would be a good discussion.

Though it might make a nice feature one day!
  • I'm proper excited by the impending flood of electronics about to hit top end suspension systems. Cannondale's "Simon" system being a case in point.
    Yes, it'll cost HUGE money, but eventually the trickle down will see us getting our grubby wee hands on some truly interesting kit in a couple of years time.

Also, the use of "smart" products like the D3O material used in the new 661 'Evo' range would have been sci-fi a few years ago.

Bring it on!
  • supersonic
    Did you read my 'Future Bikes' article in WMB100? Electronics are going to be the next big thing!

Though Cannondale have experimented before.
  • I didn't read it, Sonic, sorry, but it's inevitable. As soon as the first well known XC racer starts to use Shimano's Di shifting technology, or someone's Simon equipped Cannondale is faster with batteries onboard, then the floodgates will open.
    I can't wait, I loved StreetHawk!

ra85vekt.jpg
  • Hmm - not sure about electronics on bikes. They may be nice to own but the cost and the repairs will be a nightmare. Look at what's happened to cars - you need a computer and a mechanic to swop a lightbulb! I expect them to be hugely popular with shops and manufacturers who can't get enough of our money as it is - unless you are the person who thinks it's ok to buy £600 lights and £350 seatposts. :roll:

I think adjustability is the thing I would like most - My Scott genius can change the back end on the fly but I would like a lever adjustable front fork - and not just lock out but travel adjust on the handlebars so I could go from 80mm short travel with a rigid back end to 140mm front and back with the flick of a lever/ button etc. 8)
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cant really see anything in this thread that is not covered anywhere.

BBMC yes it can be dropped in most RS forks.

Caliper alignment why make things worse than they are. it is not like they are hard to set up now. and once set do not need changing. adding complexity and weight and cost where not needed.

adjustable sus been around for a few years but not followed up that much,(i had a 2003 frame that could be set between 100 and 220mm of travel)

shimano do the odd bit of colour.

Belt drive will need a bit more thought on bearings and loads.

I think that internal gears will be coming back into favour and may even make a few surprise appearances.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    Not just new ideas, but options - more adjustable travel rear ends would be good.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    i've been thinking, which is always dangerous...

why not strap a c02 canister to the hub, where it shouldn't make much difference to rotating weight, and run an air hose down to the valve. stick a button on it somewhere that lets you either vent air from the tyre or inflate it, and then if you've got a long road leg to get to where you're riding (which i often do) you pump up nice and hard at home, set off, deflate when you get there, reinflate at the end. for the tubeless brigade it could make sealing punctures easier too.

i know it's not anything that you couldn't do already, but a well set up system would be convenient rather than mucking about with a pump. you might need a compressor at home, or it could get expensive in cartridges though!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    you mean a device that would allow SRAM users to feel what a good Shimano shift feels like. :wink:

pfffft........ (shakes head disapprovingly at above comment.... :evil: )
  • _Ferret_
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    you mean a device that would allow SRAM users to feel what a good Shimano shift feels like. :wink:

pfffft........ (shakes head disapprovingly at above comment.... :evil: )
    :D I just couldn't resist...

what about an adjustable stem?
    Not sure how it would work yet but it could be interesting.
    Not really active
  • supersonic
    Quite a few out there. Tend to be heavy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd like to see 20mm axles become THE standard for all MTB forks, all the way from XC forks like SIDs.
    Less of the QR nonsense, and let's all forget the abortion that is 15mm :lol:
  • supersonic
    I'm fine with QR on me Zaskar LE! Then again I think the SID should be a lighter skinnier thing ;-)
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    edited November 2009
    I'm proper excited by the impending flood of electronics about to hit top end suspension systems. Cannondale's "Simon" system being a case in point.

Sorry but I'm dreading the idea of bikes becoming in any way electronic. One of the things I love about bikes and riding is that you can completely get away from computers and it's all down to good old fashioned mechanical engineering. I like that I can leave one of bikes in the garage for a month and then take it out with only a quick check of the chain and tyre pressure. I don't want to have to check the batteries on the suspension system or run the latest updates.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • _Ferret_
    I'm proper excited by the impending flood of electronics about to hit top end suspension systems. Cannondale's "Simon" system being a case in point.

Sorry but I'm dreading the idea of bikes becoming in any way electronic. One of things I love about bikes and riding is that you can completely get away from computers and it's all down to good old fashioned mechanical engineering. I like that I can leave one of bikes in the garage for a month and then take it out with only a quick check of the chain and tyre pressure. I don't want to have to check the batteries on the suspension system or run the latest updates.

+1
    Totally agree.
    Electronics are already all over the place - I don't want to have to go to a Lapierre centre to get my suspension adjusted because of a broken resistor somewhere in the internals.
    And anyway - electronics and muddy water don't mix too well...
    Not really active
  • 27.2mm decent drop seatposts
    http://www.pure-race.com/KS%20i7.html

There ya go! Don't say I don't do anything for ya! :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    After having a bit of an OTH moment and managing to stab myself in the nuts,( which are now a delightful shade of blue/purple) with the handlebars, I'd like 661 to make a groin pad. Perhaps a similar design to this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvSs4PeaQE
    The police officers walk at the beginning of the vid has been mhe all day.
  • I would love Hope or sim to make 20mm bolt through q/r axles in anodised colours that are lighter than the oem ones 8) (and bling as well ! :oops: )

How about handlebars with fold out bar ends or adjustable shapes in some form?

Fork braces that are more than a inch higher than the tyre so don't clog at the first thought of a British winter?
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89