What parts and options do YOU want?

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Any holes in the market you think need filling? Any manufacturer missing a trick? Post your ideas here (within reason!).

Personally I'd like to see some lighter weight fork options for cheaper bikes and lighter riders/kids. Most 250 quid bikes have some horrific lump of clanking steel on the front, which you simply don't need for light off roading. So more rigid fork options, or a narrow stanchioned fork like the old aluminium legged Judies.

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    better option of "midleburn" 2 ring cranks or even better 1 cheap single ring crank?
    ( i only say this as i would like to try them out)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    Middleburn to do Octalink or external BBs too!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I would like to see frames with more adjustable geometry.

Especially on AM type bikes. Usually people buy these bikes as their one and only bike and has to serve many purposes. So you could have a steeper head angle when doing more XC kinda stuff and slacken it off for more DH stuff.

There are already a few bikes out there that do this but think it should be more common.
  • supersonic
    I was just thinking that myself actually.

Also how about a coil Reba or Revelation? I know there is still a mrket for coil forks, light coil forks too: maybe a titanium spring option? Would hardly weigh more than the dual air cartridge.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    how about a chain guide roller to work with 3 rings.
    I always rattle my chain off my largest ring when going downhill. I know you can get a guide to work with 2 chainrings but I haven't seen one that works with 3. It shouldn't be that hard should it?
    Not really active
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    i'd like to see a solid lockout function on the rear shock on a full susser..if that makes sense?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Totally agree with the better choice of forks at the lower end of the market and would appreciate seeing some rigids.

And larger sized bikes coming with wider bars to suit us half-gorrilas. :lol:
  • jairaj
    Supersonic Great minds think alike. :wink: I've been wanting to get a Ti spring for my Fox Vanillas. Love the fork just wish it was a bit lighter but I guess that's the trade off with coils.

hyperman most if not all forks have some movement when locked out to prevent damage when taking a big hit (i think). im guessing for the same reason you don't get solid lockout on the rear.
  • _Ferret_
    how about a set of "fine adjustment" screws for your brake calipers?
    A set of small screws that run at 90° to the bolts that hold the calipers to the frame. You could then use the adjustment screws to get the right position of the pads to the disc and then screw down the caliper without the damn thing moving and screwing up that µm position you need to stop the damn things squeeling!
    Not really active
  • _Ferret_
    a mate of mine is changing his rear suspension on his Commencial Meta to a spring because he thinks the movement is simply better.
    Ti springs cost a fortune though...
    Not really active
  • jairaj
    _Ferret_ wrote:

Brake calipers already have alignment adjust. Well my Shimano XT ones do anyway, not sure if this filters down to budget options tho.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    hyperman most if not all forks have some movement when locked out to prevent damage when taking a big hit (i think). im guessing for the same reason you don't get solid lockout on the rear.[/quote]

i understand why they still have movement on lockout, just think it would be a good idea and give you more versatility, basically giving you a hardtail and a full susser in one..
  • _Ferret_
    jairaj wrote:
    _Ferret_ wrote:

Brake calipers already have alignment adjust. Well my Shimano XT ones do anyway, not sure if this filters down to budget options tho.

I'm looking at the XTs now and I can't see any way of aligning the calipers other than unscrewing the bolts to the post mount, lining up with your eye and then screwing them down again. Is this adjustment made on the caliper itself?
    Not really active
  • supersonic
    Avid have the Tri Align, but can be fiddly.

Suntour used to make a £200 titanium sprung fork!

I'd like GT to produce a big hitting hardtail.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    So more rigid fork options, or a narrow stanchioned fork like the old aluminium legged Judies.
    But narrow = flexy?

I like to see:
    All hubs to be 20mm convertible.
    Mission Control on some Pikes, Revelations, 20mm Recons, Domains.
    Aftermarket white Pike, is it that hard. :roll:
    Cheap mid-longer travel hardtail frames with 1.5" headtube. (£320 for a Lyrik at CRC, £180 for a Domain somewhere :shock:)
    Shimano to stop producing levers and shifters in one.
  • supersonic
    But for lighter riders - they don't need huge feck off lumps! And especially if tow paths is as far as they are going to go lol.
  • Agree with bringing ridgid forks back to budget end bikes, kona P2s and the like.

I'd like some caged SPD pedals where the SPD part had some kind of quick release mechanism so it could be quickly removed and the pedals used as flats.

I'd like shimano to add some coloured bits and bobs as an option to grey, black or silver.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I would like to see more development and use Into belt drive, as I think It's a good idea and could be the way forward. After years of riding belt driven Motorbikes (Harley Davidson) I know how long lasting they can be.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • supersonic
    There was a quite a big thread on belt drives.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I would like to see It become a bit more mainstream and affordable.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    to set xt brakes i leave the bolts just loose enough for them to move then hold the brakes on. tightening them up in this position works 9 times out of 10
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • _Ferret_
    to set xt brakes i leave the bolts just loose enough for them to move then hold the brakes on. tightening them up in this position works 9 times out of 10

I think that's how most people do it - I find that when I tighten them up good and tight the caliper moves slightly - just a small niggle but there is room for a simple solution...
    Not really active
  • supersonic
    Adjustable 'modulators' on shifters to change feel from hardly a click, to a big clunk?
  • _Ferret_
    you mean a device that would allow SRAM users to feel what a good Shimano shift feels like. :wink:
    Not really active
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    just a small niggle but there is room for a simple solution

that's the origin of ideas that are either sheer genius or completely pointless.

i'd quite like something that stops it always being the newest and shiniest bit of kit on your bike that gets broken instead of the old stuff. on a more serious note, i'm looking forwards to the gadget that lets you adjust tyre pressures on the fly
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    a slack angled 120/140mm bike that i actually like. basicaly a long travel 4x bike but with triple ring compatibility, bolt thru axles both ends, wide bars short stem, sub 29lbs and some rad colours and white rims 8)

oh and id like it to cost less than 2 grand :roll:

am i asking to much lol
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    oh and i like the idea of shimano doing colours :) boring old japenese idiots. i reckon i could do with drsigning my own tyre too, i reckon a cross bteween an intense system 4 built like a conti tyre so its light and grips like poo to a carpet :)
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Steel version of the forks on the Jones Ti Space bike on budget bikes

A Reynolds 853 version of the Jones Space bike

Budget rigid 29ers

Non summer tyres on Trek bikes sold in the UK
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    hyperman wrote:
    i'd like to see a solid lockout function on the rear shock on a full susser..if that makes sense?

thats what my scott genius does! and its by remote so no stopping on the trail
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty