2»

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    It's grim down South. For once.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    guybe wrote:
    :roll: What is the fun riding in the wet and mud? you have the cleaning afterwards and surely the mud and wet do some damage on the bike like the bearings, etc?

You are bonkers you wet weather riders :lol:

Hear hear. Roll on summer. I literally couldn't stand up this morning on my drive...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    wet and muddy yes but good point about spending as much time cleaning as riding, specially when you've a newish bike and you feel you have to keep it looking that way for some strange reason, maybe pride or something.

windy - no, not when it's this bad, too slow and always worried about trees falling on my head ! There's always next week.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I understand the windy thing but when it's wet all you have to do is wear the right clothing.

And how long does everyone need to clean their bike?
    2 hour ride - Vs - spray off bike with water, spray with WD40 and oil chain.
    What does everyone else do to their bikes that takes over an hour?!
    Not really active
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    I understand the windy thing but when it's wet all you have to do is wear the right clothing.

And how long does everyone need to clean their bike?
    2 hour ride - Vs - spray off bike with water, spray with WD40 and oil chain.
    What does everyone else do to their bikes that takes over an hour?!

clean and dry bike, clean grooves in cassette and rear derailleur clean front derailleur and degrease clean then re-oil every link on chain, takes me ages, about 45 minutes, that before every 2-4 hour ride, 3 times a week gets a bit tedious.
  • As I've not long got back from a ride in the wind and the rain, I tend to agree with many of the comments here. Especially those that suggest that living in this country means that you might as well get used to it. I genuinely enjoy many of the rides I do in poor conditions (and the dark) ... although sometimes it can be a relief to get back home. For me, the cold and the wet are less of a concern. It's the really windy conditions that I don't especially enjoy, particularly when it takes out your front wheel etc.

The one thing that I can't quite agree with is the subject of waterproof clothing. Fine for hillwalking and mountaineering but I haven't yet found MTB-ing kit that can really stand up to the worst of the wet weather. So much so that I've been properly soaked at least three of the past four weekends.

As it starts to get colder, I'm looking to invest in a set of winter shoes, a full length bib (got the 3/4s last year) and probably a good winstopper.

Kai
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I going to find out what winter riding is all about tomorrow.
    Doing Lonsdale Pike - not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not?!?!

Will be wearing merino base layer, prob my gilet and prob my Paclight. Lifa tights with Humvees over the top. Merino socks (not got any waterproof socks!).

Will I survive?