Wild weather

Tostaryman
Tostaryman Posts: 89
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hi all,

So it's belting it down right now and the forecast for the weekend is atrocious - wind, rain, the works. But is it just me, or do others quite like the buzz of hacking around in the slime for an hour or two?! It could just be me...

Comments

• _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I love it too.
    The girlfriend does not approve though - although she does get to hose me down afterwards...
    Not really active
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    It's great. Spend money on some nice winter gear, put it to the test. Fun.

There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad people who moan about the weather.
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    edited November 2009
    I MUCH prefer sliding around muddy paths and slippery roots, far more interesting than when its dry.
    Far fewer walkers about to.
    Cleaning everything afterwards is an ar$e tho.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    when it gets to the point where you're spending more time cleaning than riding then I start questioning its merits and usually end up down the pub!

slime-surfing is ace fun though, and it really does test your bike handling skills.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Glad to see that others love it too - definitely makes bike handling a whole lot more interesting!
  • Love the mud and slime! Not bothered by the rain. Hate strong winds.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    another 'bad' weather lover here....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    I love it too.
    The girlfriend does not approve though - although she does get to hose me down afterwards...

I was suprised to find out (through doing) that my OH is actually not opposed to the idea as we got filthy around Cannock last weekend :D

Is times like that when I remember why I am marrying her :D
  • I often enjoy a wet ride, or even general rain..

byut at the moment here its blitzing down and windy..(i hate strong wind lol) and at that point it ceases to be fun for me.
  • went out for a night ride, last night, in a rain storm

huge fun powering around my local woods, deep in mud and wet leaves, a great work out and test of skill for sure!!

got home, sprayed head to toe in mud :wink:
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I love it. Out for an hour and a half this morning at 5.30am, wife wasn't too pleased when I walked into the kitchen covered in 6 inches of mud, but the kids thought it was hilarious!
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Wet/cold weather riding is ace.
    Warm clothes and glasses or goggles to keep the spray out your eyes. Wicked fun.

wet/cold/windy, not so much so. I'm not talking a light breeze, but the gale force winds and driving rain that make you even have to pedal going down hill and try to blow you off into traffic.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    CycloRos wrote:
    when it gets to the point where you're spending more time cleaning than riding then I start questioning its merits and usually end up down the pub!

True. There's less of the "nip out for a half-hour blast" sort of riding in this weather and more of the "if I'm going to get soaked I might as well make a day of it". Followed by pub.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I love riding in the mud if it's properly muddy out.

IMG_6385.JPG

It's just the cleanup that I hate.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Always seem to pick the rubbish days for kiting/biking, and I usually am wearing white because I've forgotten but it's all good, I usually ride along the river and end up sliding everywhere, great fun! Not sure the missus will want to come out though, she's a bit of a girly girl when it comes to mud but then she'd never done any off road till the other day so I'll let her off for the moment.
    Looks like it'll be a proper quagmire on the sea wall this weekend, cool :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :roll: What is the fun riding in the wet and mud? you have the cleaning afterwards and surely the mud and wet do some damage on the bike like the bearings, etc?

You are bonkers you wet weather riders :lol:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i love riding in wet weather hurtling down over slime and wet roots i love it going round the slimey slippery corners and getting your drift on is so much fun, it really sorts the men from the pansys :lol:

my mate on the otherhand prefers dry trail centres and well groomed trails

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    What is the fun riding in the wet and mud?

It's like riding in the dry, but more so. Overcoming a challenge. That great feeling of being almost out of control then just getting it back again. The happy healthy tired glow when you've finished. Also, if you don't manage to control it falling off on mud is a lot less painful than hard ground, partly because you're likely to be going slower.
    you have the cleaning afterwards and surely the mud and wet do some damage on the bike like the bearings, etc?

Maybe a bit, but bikes are for using not keeping in a glass cabinet (as are human bodies). I'd rather wreck some bearings having a blast than sit indoors watching them shine.
  • The happy healthy tired glow when you've finished.

Absolutely - that's what its all about for me too. Riding in wild conditions really makes you feel alive - far more than a cracking summers day (nice though that is of course, but in a totally different way!)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Hercule Q wrote:
    i love riding in wet weather hurtling down over slime and wet roots i love it going round the slimey slippery corners and getting your drift on is so much fun, it really sorts the men from the pansys :lol:
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there 8)
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Think some of my best rides have been out in the wet, cant beat getting shi7 up and having good time.I think living in this country you've got to get used to it or you'l hardly get out.

[/quoteI'd rather wreck some bearings having a blast than sit indoors watching them shine.
    absoulutley
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    wordnumb wrote:
    ..."if I'm going to get soaked I might as well make a day of it"...
    there is definitely a certain mindset needed for winter riding but once you're over that it's just as much fun as the dry. Once you're out there comes a point where it's impossible to get any more wet and muddy so just accept its going to happen and have a blast!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i went out last weekend head to toe in waterproofs, apart from being dry and very hot i loved the riding conditions, although there were a few brown pant moments heading downhill over routes etc.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Really loving the mud and slime as well, last nights run was over Rowarth (Derbyshire) past Robin Hoods picking rods...fantastic, no one around, absolutley lashing down with rain, caked from head to toe in mud, brilliant. Started doing the Dark and White trailquests over the winter to make sure I am out there getting covered in $hite and feeling abused...ahhhh, lovley stuff :twisted:
  • For all you fellow mud lovers, take a butchers at this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8358530.stm
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Tostaryman wrote:
    For all you fellow mud lovers, take a butchers at this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8358530.stm
    Marvelous.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • God gave us Gore Tex for two reasons:
    1) Golf
    2) Cycling
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    im used to the worst the uk takes.....i work outdoors for long hours, and in all weathers :?

plus i used to commute in the days before i could drive so that toughned me up too.

there is a wierd pleasure to being out in rain, snow freezing cold etc, air is cleaner, you dont get flies in your eyes and the tracks and trails are usually quiet!
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    pfft flooding doesn't stop me from tearing down a hillside

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Eek, I have to deliver letters in this gusty weather for ~3 hours from 1000 :?

Tempted to drive to the post depot rather than cycle, but then my "walk" involves use of a Sturmey Archer 3-speed BSO... I can see the bag tray at the front acting as a sail and me being taken out by a 40mph gust!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo