Why I won't be supporting Team Sky

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pokerface wrote:
    I'm confused. Is this far-left wing or far-right wing insane rambling?

+1 And I always thought that I could ramble on. I am an amateur "rambler" compared to "buspassman". I have seen stuff, though, by "bikingbernie" that could compete with that
    dissertation.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    On Channel 4 you can watch The Simpsons. Some of it is so old that it's actually funny.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    BdeB wrote:
    i won't be supporting:
    Agritubel/Milram because beef/dairy farming is killing the planet.
    Caisse de pargne/Saxo Bank/ Ag2R/Rabobank because of the mess the finanicial industry got us into.
    Francaise Des Jeux/Silence Lotto because the lottery is a tax on the poor.
    Garmin because what is wrong with paper maps.
    Lquigas becasue i am sure there is something wrong with using up the worlds natural resources/ carbon fuels etc.
    Euskaltel/ Bouygoes/HTC because my phone bills are to high.

I might be left supporting the team run by those men of integrity, the hard working business men of Kazakstan.

Come on Astana

Eees a big shame, glorious nation only one with team of integrity worth supporting.

AVE honest Calves
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Slow1972 wrote:
    Percy Vera wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    I won't be supporting Team Sky because:

A. They haven't shown us their kit yet - Their kit is like their vans with Bart Simpson on the Front and Homer on the back.

I've seen the proofs, and quite like it (if they stick with it). Almost a retro look with a fairly plain design, horizontal panel across the chest with Sky on. Black, pale blue and white colour scheme, with a mainly white version that they will no doubt use come the TDF. Blue used as an accent colour on the collar and back. None of that god awful spiral graphic that the team Sky HD track team have to wear.

Retro is great! Wouldn't it be great if it was similar to the Quickstep retro kit they never actually got to wear...

as far as the team go, i cant bloody wait for next season and to start supporting them. Can't believe people are being negative about the UK's first big team since the shambles that was ANC. Do wish we had more info mind... they are not helping their cause by not feeding the fans...

And Iain, how can u not like EBH and Gerrans?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

+1 And I always thought that I could ramble on. I am an amateur "rambler" compared to "buspassman". I have seen stuff, though, by "bikingbernie" that could compete with that
    dissertation.

The best insane ramblers I've ever seen are Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly. Pure gold. Funnier than the Simpsons, too.
  • sky tv programming is aimed at folk who watch tv with their mouths agape dribbling

murdoch is a raasclaat
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    I won't be supporting Sky because I'm not a particular fan of anyone who rides for them.

:wink:

And of course because you're a grumpy fecker :wink:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    Pokerface wrote:

D. I hate Pinarello

How can anyone think this way?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    Timoid. wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

D. I hate Pinarello

To wind up frenchfighter, innit. Have I said lately how cool Giant bikes look?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moomaloid wrote:
    And Iain, how can u not like EBH and Gerrans?

EBH is ok.

Definately not a Gerrans fan.

I'm not big into being fans of "teams" but I like a lot of riders on Liquigas and BMC.

And I'm a grumpy fecker.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • timoid.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

D. I hate Pinarello

To wind up frenchfighter, innit. Have I said lately how cool Giant bikes look?

They are awesomely slopetastic. Any chance of Astana riding them next year?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

dissertation.

The best insane ramblers I've ever seen are Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly. Pure gold. Funnier than the Simpsons, too.

Kind of weird. Used to be that there was news on the news. Now all you seem to get is someone shouting / ranting at you or someone else on the screen. And people seem to really like it.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Two dumb questions-

1. how will Sky directly benefit by getting the entire nation on bikes? (and the Murdochs are not doing this out of concern for either the environment or health- they only believe in the Power of Profit)
    2. when will Sky start selling their own brand of bikes- for all these new millions of cyclists to buy?

3. I am a huge fan of the BBC. (Except the odious J.Woss and his ilk), especially BBC radio. When my husband bought me the Sky dish solely to allow me to sit on the sofa and scream encouragement to Bradley Wiggins and Cav, I naturally surfed my way through all the channels I could watch. Apart from Deadliest Catch and the Wedding Channel there is a limit to how many documentaries you can watch on Ancient Egypt. I listen to Radio 4 in the evenings far more than I have ever done. Maybe I'm just getting older, of course.

I digress, as usual-what I meant to say was, what other satellite dish provider is there? It's a monopoly.

Er, that's three questions. I'll get my coast and stick the kettle on on my way out, then.
  • afx237vi
    Tusher wrote:
    3. I am a huge fan of the BBC. (Except the odious J.Woss and his ilk), especially BBC radio. When my husband bought me the Sky dish solely to allow me to sit on the sofa and scream encouragement to Bradley Wiggins and Cav, I naturally surfed my way through all the channels I could watch. Apart from Deadliest Catch and the Wedding Channel there is a limit to how many documentaries you can watch on Ancient Egypt. I listen to Radio 4 in the evenings far more than I have ever done. Maybe I'm just getting older, of course.

I digress, as usual-what I meant to say was, what other satellite dish provider is there? It's a monopoly.

Yeah but once the Egypt stuff is done with, you can always move on to the Hitler documentaries. I swear there's an actual channel somewhere actually devoted solely to Hitler documentaries. Then once that's done with, it's bound to be nearly Shark Week.

Or you could watch Mythbusters for the millionth time. If it's not on, don't worry, it'll be on the +1 channel. And once that finishes, there's an another episode just starting on the normal channel. My favourite episode was when they busted the myth about the shark they found wearing a Nazi uniform. In a pyramid.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    OK, I work for the BBC so I'm obviously biased. However the OP has a point.

Cameron and Murdoch have teamed up. The are good friends because Murdoch likes back the winner in an election and the Tories are ahead whilst at the same time Cameron enjoys the publicity that being supported by the Sun provides.

In recent years the Tories have been critical of the BBC. Murdoch wants all competition wiped out. A few favours from the soon to be new government in return for the Sun's support (see this weeks Brown letter writing debacle) and we see a much minimised BBC.

Tell me, when was the last time you saw anything worthwhile that Sky made? Their news is a joke and the entertainmet is either American dramas or cop show video programmes. The one thing they do well is football.

I fear for a world without the BBC. It has the best factual entertainment on the planet, the best news and probably the best website. Murdoch wants to block his website from google and charge you to use it. How is that good for consumers?

However, back to the OP's question. I'd stil like the Sky team to do well. I'd love Wiggo to get a ride with them the season after next to defend his tour title :)
  • timoid.
    afx237vi wrote:

Yeah but once the Egypt stuff is done with, you can always move on to the Hitler documentaries. I swear there's an actual channel somewhere actually devoted solely to Hitler documentaries.

There is. Its called the History Channel or as we call it round here, the Hitler channel.

Much prefer a bit of Ice Road Truckers myself. Or Pimp My RIde.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    How true, how wise. I shall especially look out for the shark in the nazi uniform in the pyramid riding a custom built orange county chopper.

Mr Tusher and his cat sit, zombie fashion, glued to Boy TV, which consists primarily of the programmes listed above, but also includes the dreaded 'How Things Are Made', a programme designed soley for insomniacs. And 'How Very Big Buildings Are Built With Very Big Cranes'.

And then there is the Dave Channel, which seems to be composed mainly of pretty good former BBC channels, but Red Dwarf kills brain cells.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    guinea wrote:
    It has the best factual entertainment on the planet, the best news and probably the best website.

Erm - have you ever actually watched TV from anywhere else in the world? The BBC is pretty p!ss poor when it comes to ANY kind of programming - original or otherwise.

At least they show Heroes - but then again, that's not exactly theirs, now is it? :)

Sky doesn't do original programming - they are mere;y a re-seller. Which explains why so many people would rather watch it than dull british TV.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pokerface wrote:
    guinea wrote:
    It has the best factual entertainment on the planet, the best news and probably the best website.

Erm - have you ever actually watched TV from anywhere else in the world? The BBC is pretty p!ss poor when it comes to ANY kind of programming - original or otherwise.

You are, I presume, joking?? Have you experienced US television. Even the Freeview channels look like quality programming compared to the hundreds of appalling US channels. The only thing ever worth watching tends to be the UK programmes they show. For all its faults, BBC (and ITC and Channel 4) seem to be in a league of their own.

Trouble is, most European countries plus US seem long ago to have gone down the 'have 100s of channels so one is bound to be good' approach which just doesn't work.

True, the US has made some good programmes (probably about 0.01% of the total pile of dross) but the viewing experience on the channels is mind rottingly dire.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    wicked wrote:
    To the OP, I think you look too deeply into things.

As we say in Scotland - I think he needs his hole.
  • Pokerface
    edited November 2009
    Rolf F wrote:

You are, I presume, joking?? Have you experienced US television. Even the Freeview channels look like quality programming compared to the hundreds of appalling US channels.

To each their own I guess. I grew up in Canada watching US TV - and the big networks (CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX) all produce much better TV than anything ever out of the UK. But that's a cultural assessment. They also have some pretty crap shows.

But things like NBC Nightly News (or CNN for that matter) blow away BBC News any day of the week.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    guinea wrote:
    OK, I work for the BBC so I'm obviously biased. However the OP has a point.

Cameron and Murdoch have teamed up. The are good friends because Murdoch likes back the winner in an election and the Tories are ahead whilst at the same time Cameron enjoys the publicity that being supported by the Sun provides.

In recent years the Tories have been critical of the BBC. Murdoch wants all competition wiped out. A few favours from the soon to be new government in return for the Sun's support (see this weeks Brown letter writing debacle) and we see a much minimised BBC.

Tell me, when was the last time you saw anything worthwhile that Sky made? Their news is a joke and the entertainmet is either American dramas or cop show video programmes. The one thing they do well is football.

I fear for a world without the BBC. It has the best factual entertainment on the planet, the best news and probably the best website. Murdoch wants to block his website from google and charge you to use it. How is that good for consumers?

However, back to the OP's question. I'd stil like the Sky team to do well. I'd love Wiggo to get a ride with them the season after next to defend his tour title :)

Some interesting points here but the BBC is hardly a beacon in a sea of mediocre programming is it? Much of it is complete dross which unfortunately I have been forced to pay for against my will. At least with Sky I have the choice of paying for it or not.

That aside when is the documentary about the shark in a nazi uniform in a pyramid on? Now that sounds entertaining :D
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    guinea wrote:
    I fear for a world without the BBC. It has the best factual entertainment on the planet, the best news and probably the best website.

The BBC may have had the best televised news at one time, but these days it's absolutely woeful. Channel 4 News is head and shoulders above any other televised news in the UK.
  • For all those of you who think my original post was some kind of extreme conspiracy theory lacking in evidence, how about this, from the horse's (or at least the horse's son's) mouth on his own website: http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/ ... ctaggart(2)
  • Pokerface
    buspassman wrote:
    For all those of you who think my original post was some kind of extreme conspiracy theory lacking in evidence, how about this, from the horse's (or at least the horse's son's) mouth on his own website: http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/ ... ctaggart(2)

Everything he says makes perfect sense. I don't get what the problem is?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Apparently James Murdoch is a keen cyclist - does sportifs (or is it sportives?) and stuff
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    sky is appalling

basically i agree with the OP..

the murdoch mafia have done a deal with the conservatives to support them (current bun etc) in return for the Tories to conduct a review of the beebs role...

BBC>sky

anybody who argues that the bbc is losing it or is no longer renowned etc etc etc etc has to square that with a tv schedule consisting of 15mins a hour advertising

if you still think that's preferable you are mad...

that said I ain't that concerned..yet.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pokerface wrote:

To each their own I guess. I grew up in Canada watching US TV - and the big networks (CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX) all produce much better TV than anything ever out of the UK. But that's a cultural assessment. They also have some pretty crap shows.

I'd be interested to know which natural history programmes they've produced which can top Planet Earth or Blue Planet, or comedies which are better than The Office (a poor man's version of which is, I understand, doing rather well in the States). Not trying to be clever here - I really would like to watch them!

I don't really see much in the OP that is too wide of the mark re Sky; you'd have to have been living in a cave for the last year to not know that Murdoch wants a much diminished BBC, and is actively going about achieving that by cosying up to his new Tory mates. As for supporting the Sky Team; like a previous poster I do find supporting a team, as opposed to individual riders, a bit odd.
  • mididoctors
    Graeme_S wrote:
    guinea wrote:
    I fear for a world without the BBC. It has the best factual entertainment on the planet, the best news and probably the best website.

The BBC may have had the best televised news at one time, but these days it's absolutely woeful. Channel 4 News is head and shoulders above any other televised news in the UK.

channel 4 news is crap...largely because of one person..jon snow is a egotistical overbearing alt/leftie who puts his own pathetically childish worldview to the forefront of editorial policy..he is so dominant and manipulating off camera as well as on.

bbc news has declined but really ALL the news programs have declined..

newsnight despite being a circle jerk of oxbridge types slamming there own d1cks in the door is the only half decent news program left on tv by virtue that the staff have collectivilly more than 2 brain cells

sky news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YHTBFK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    nasahapley wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I'd be interested to know which natural history programmes they've produced which can top Planet Earth or Blue Planet, or comedies which are better than The Office (a poor man's version of which is, I understand, doing rather well in the States). Not trying to be clever here - I really would like to watch them!

I don't really see much in the OP that is too wide of the mark re Sky; you'd have to have been living in a cave for the last year to not know that Murdoch wants a much diminished BBC, and is actively going about achieving that by cosying up to his new Tory mates. As for supporting the Sky Team; like a previous poster I do find supporting a team, as opposed to individual riders, a bit odd.

I'm on roughly the same page.... thou team sky is an attempt to make a branded team...

I think there is some growing disquiet fro longtime followers of the sport on how and where this is going

Sky=man utd of cycling world????? I think hutch mentioned this and all