Alpe D'Huez or Mont Ventoux? Or other?

2»

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I’ve also done them both and enjoyed them both in different ways. They are both iconic and it is nice to sit and watch the TdF and think “I’ve been there and done that”. Personally, I found Ventoux had a bit more sense of occasion about it. When I arrived at AdH I actually got lost and couldn’t find the official finish line, I had to ask a guy emptying the bins for directions. It might just have been the the weather (it was a bit of a damp May day) but there was not many people around and only one cafe open for a warming cup of coffee. The sun did come out for the descent and the whole ride was a great experience but I would echo the comments above, take plenty of layers for the way down, it can be bitterly cold despite being comfortable in shorts and short sleeves on the way up. For a bit of variety you can take in a few of the balcony roads on the way down, they provide stunning views of Bourg d’Oisans and the valley below. Croix de Fer and Glandon are also nearby and are tough, beautiful climbs.
    Ventoux, despite not having a town at the top, felt like more of an achievement, lots of people around and stalls selling cakes, coffee, souvenirs etc. A personal opinion but it just felt a bit more special albeit much tougher. My wife (a non-cyclist) and I spent a nice week in Bedoin, it is a lovely town and good base for a bit of touring if that is your thing. Also plenty of fantastic cycling around Ventoux - Gorge de la Nesques is spectacular - you also have the option of cycling up Ventoux from the other side (Malaucene) which is well worth doing, it’s quite different to the classic Bedoin ascent, just as tough but more variable I thought. Suzette and La Roque Alric are nice climbs to warm up on before Ventoux.
    Definitely go for it - there will be plenty of people faster than you and plenty of people slower than you, just enjoy the experience.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    a 36 x30 should get you up most alpine climbs. I ran 34 x28 last year and 36 x 30 is a tiny bit easier... I'm often on 36 x 24, but it pays to have a couple of get out gears.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You guys do know the OP asked the question back in 2009 ? He's probably decided now...
  • Fenix wrote:
    You guys do know the OP asked the question back in 2009 ? He's probably decided now...

Most folk on here don’t read more than a few posts up. They’re just determined to share their expert opinions. Personally I think 25mm tyres are just as good as 28s.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Most folk on here don’t read more than a few posts up. They’re just determined to share their expert opinions.

Ha! POTD :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    When is the OP going to tell us what happened?
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I think botbuilder has it - it's mostly in your head.

When I did Ventoux I just settled in my lowest gear (34 x 30) at a steady pace (just a little faster than the slowest I could do without falling off) and told myself that sooner or later I'd get to the top.

This was day 11 of a 14 day France end to end trip, so putting in a 'good' time was not top of my priorities - that was surviving as far as Nice.

On that trip there we a number of good long climbs, and the key for me was getting in that headspace where you accepted that the pain wasn't actually that bad, and you could stand it for an hour or more. Then just getting on with it. Climbing up the verdun (sp?) gorge a couple of days later was much harder than Ventoux.