Spesh enduro - pedal strikes

2»

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    the 06 enduro doesn't have the boost valve on the shock. it doesnt fit in the frame.

enduros do have low bb's, hence they handle so well. put some 36's or lyrics on it and just adjust your riding style. i used to have a few pedal strike when i first got mine, but now it rarely happens. as you get used to the bike your riding style will adjust. and then you'll reap the benefits of an awesome bike!!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    P-Jay wrote:
    In his words, "they were all made, on the same line, exactly the same way" Then for an SX they'd paint them as such, fit a tiny little front shock mount which allowed for a longer shock and travel, and for the elite they'd fit a bigger triangle and shorter shock for 140mm.

The SX was made with a different alu grade, had a different headtube and different shock mounts to the Enduro.

They're cosmetically similar, but different where it counts.
    Supersonic wrote:

Not all shocks have all these features, especially high speed compression damping. Sag to an extent is personal preference, I doub't we all run exactly the same amount on Speshes. This goes for BB height too, many do find it a problem, while others like the handling traits.

If you are bottoming out, and have no high speed compression damping or bottom out adjustment, you run less sag. Even Spesh themselves print a wide range of sag for the Enduro (18-33%).

The shocks specified on the Enduro lack the IFP valve, having the IFP pre-set by the factory. It is an important part of the annual service to have this re-set to the correct amount by Mojo or TF, a pressure loss may not be detected by a rider who is bottoming out all the time anyway and can do damage to the shock when under-pressured.

The DHX5/DHXair specified has high and low speed compression damping in the form of the big blue "Bottom out control" (High speed) and the "pro pedal" (Low speed).

It is always better to use the damping system to control your shock properly than to run excess spring rate. If you find your shock is not performing the way you want it to, phone TF tuned or Mojo and have a chat to them about what you want your shock to do. Be aware that TF tuned does not service the DHX air.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited November 2009
    If he does have that shock, we are assuming he does: I know of many riders swapping them out for Floats.

Excess spring rate is for the rider to decide (within reason lol) - there is only so far you can go with damping controls to hide a very low spring/too high sag. Set up with multi adjustable shocks is a combination of all factors. I see too many riders cranking up the compression damping to compensate for a poorly judged sag/spring rate (and I am sure you have too!). Then again, too many do crank the pressures up to high as well.

I think some experimentation within the bounds Spesh sets for sag is needed to find what is right for the rider, and that includes ride height.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    slightly ot: why doesnt tft do the dhx?
  • Anonymous
    theblender wrote:
    I get regular pedal strikes on my Attack Trail. The handling is great, but, I've had a few close calls, and I level-up my pedals on descents unless I'm, funnilly enough, pedalling to get the gas on! I've had 1 strike with level pedals.
    Funnily enough, they are still amongst the highest BB bikes out there
  • Alex
    slightly ot: why doesnt tft do the dhx?

TF Tuned does not service the DHX Air, Brain or TALAS Fox shocks. I presume this is because of a mixture of Mojo's unwillingness to supply parts for service and TF's dislike of air shocks.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    excuse my ignorance , but wot sort of measurement ( mm / inches ) would a bb be considered " low" ?
    just measured the distance from floor to bottom of bb shell on my felt ht just out of interest
    290 mm / 11.5 inch
    this considered low , high , inbetween ?
    my learning continues :D
  • Alex
    Depends on the bike. The ironhorse sunday's 13.9" BB height is considered perilously low in downhill circles. A spesh stumpy HT is 11.75"
  • Anonymous
    As Alex said, it depends on the amount of travel, as well as "resting" height.

Personally, I tend to view any BB that is higher than the wheel axles as high, and anything below the wheel axles as low.

Of course, on Hardtails, it's less of an issue.
  • Alex
    A 13" BB is quite high on anything below 4" travel...