what tyres are you using for the winter?

2»

Comments

• colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    colintrav wrote:
    A tyre is a tyre it goes where it goes .. no matter ,, where the rider wants it to go !!!

Why bother changin tyre's at this time of year really a waste of time and money overall

POINTLESS

, do people not have the confidence in they're own ability to ride through all sorts of condition's

BS

try riding through hub deep mud on tyres for hardpack. You wont go anywhere.

I run rampages when wet, and then trailrakers when really really really wet.

Been there done that when you were still in nursery
  • Nothing like patronising someone to show your maturity ey?
  • I run Nevegals 2.1" DTC on the rear and 2.35" Stick-E on the front for most of the year. Then i've just bought some old favourites Nobby Nics 2.25" for the winter. Was going to have 2.35" Swampthings, but that would have added over a pound rolling weight, and as i got the Nics for £22 each cant really moan.

I think you can see from where this thread is going, its completely personal preference, and what works for one, disagrees with another. Choice is a great thing......... :?
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    colintrav wrote:
    colintrav wrote:
    A tyre is a tyre it goes where it goes .. no matter ,, where the rider wants it to go !!!

Why bother changin tyre's at this time of year really a waste of time and money overall

POINTLESS

, do people not have the confidence in they're own ability to ride through all sorts of condition's

BS

I would strongly suggest that you try out some specific tyres for specific conditions - they may have improved at little since the "dark ages" when you last tried them out...
    Not really active
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    colintrav wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

POINTLESS

BS

I would strongly suggest that you try out some specific tyres for specific conditions - they may have improved at little since the "dark ages" when you last tried them out...
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    colintrav wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

POINTLESS

BS

:lol::lol::lol:
    colin trav , why so miserable? :lol::lol::lol:
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    ordered some 2.5 wet screams to cope with the slop around here which consists of clay, sand and greasy wet leaves covering tree roots

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Hercule Q wrote:
    ordered some 2.5 wet screams to cope with the slop around here which consists of clay, sand and greasy wet leaves covering tree roots

Good downhill tire I've heard, I assume that's what you've bought them for. You can always trim the knobs back because they're pretty long otherwise.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q wrote:

Good downhill tire I've heard, I assume that's what you've bought them for. You can always trim the knobs back because they're pretty long otherwise.

yeah bloody expensive though but he's doing some discount on them i'll just ride the dh bike around on the road instead of trimming it down cos i'll probally bugger the tyre up if i trim them

pinkbike
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    colintrav wrote:

POINTLESS

your an idiot! :roll:

you have no idea what other people are riding and how much different it is in the winter to the summer, my local DH track is muddy and leafy, high rollers turn into skis and wet screams grip like studs, in the summer the high rollers grip better than the wet screams which would wear down too fast anyway love to watch you try and ride it with your all year round tyres and laugh at you sliding down on your face!
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    On the NRS I've currently got Panracer XC Fire pros 2.1's . Also got a set of 1.8's for when the trails are dry (obviously I haven't used those this year...). When it gets stupidly muddy (read through the summer), I fit XC Mud Pros 1.8's. Awesome grip.

As the Fire pros are getting a bit worn now, I'll use them through out the winter and get a new pair in the winter sales for next year.

I've also purchased a set of Maxxis Worm-Drives for taking part in HONC next year. More of a CX tyre, but should be perfect for that event.

On the Coiler, I'm currently using Schwalbe Space tyres. Only been on there for a couple of weeks, but very impressed.
  • Hercule Q
    i had 2 scwalbe space tyres destroy themselves in 2 days. the steel bead came through the inside of the tyre throwing it off the rim and ripping the tube to shreds :shock:

pinkbike
  • Went out at the weekend on Intense System 3 XC compound 2.3 and had some very interesting moments in the chalky clay round these parts.

Will be swapping to Panaracer Trailraker 1.95's before this weekends ride. I find the narrow tyres cut through the clag to get some grip.

Whilst clearing mud off the bike half way round the ride it struck me that I have spent a fortune dropping grams of weight off the bike only to put it all back on again within 500 yards of riding through the Chilterns finest clay :?
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I'm using a second hand pair of specialized resolutions, seem to be coping well with the essex clay and sand.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I'll be using the Nobby Nics until I can't use them any more, then possibly stick a Hutchinson Toro XC on the front if things get hairy..

2 years back, I rode through the whole winter, off road, on DMR Moto RT's... that was fun. :lol:
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    colintrav wrote:

POINTLESS

Bit of a silly rant really. Of course tyres make a difference. Sure you can ride any tyres in any condition...but what's the point? It'll be sub optimal.

I have just removed the Conti Racekings (that I love for summer riding) but now the ground is softening up they just spin in mud...so have added some knobbles in the form of MK's. 2.4 on front and 2.2 on back. Still not convinced on these but noticed in mud they are better than before. Although the 2.2 on the rear clears a hell of a lot better than the front. In deep clay porridge the front becomes a huge heavy donut! That said, I got caught on some Fire XC pros last years in some deep stuff. Ended up carrying the bike over my shoulder for a mile to the nearest road as the wheels would not even turn due to mud blocking them. My missus's bike was absolutely fine on Spesh tyres. So, yes...that made a significant difference.

It's not that convenient to carry a quivver of tyres for most people. Unless you are racing you probably won't have specific tyres for every situation. It's best in the UK to have something that will serve you pretty well most of the time. It may not excel at every discipline but will perform moderately well in most situations.
  • If you ride somewhere like the Forest Of dean you will know a good mud tyre can make a huge difference in the winter
    Most of the trails I ride there are natural and can cut up quite badly

Ran Mud X last winter to good effect but a real drag at a trail centre.

have Conti Verticals at the moment as the trails have not got too bad yet.
  • Mccraque wrote:
    It's not that convenient to carry a quivver of tyres for most people. Unless you are racing you probably won't have specific tyres for every situation.

Depends how much of a tech head you are, personally i like going as fast as i can, so fit the fastest rolling tyres that'll still provide drive/steering/braking for the conditions.

Generally i switch between razer mx, rampage and trailrakers depending on conditions. Different sizes too, as then i can tailor my grip/speed for the weather. However, having just gone tubeless i can see myself swapping tyres a lot less!!!!!!
  • I run Hutchinson Torro's 2.35 front and rear (came with bike)

They seem to do a good job. I do mainly trail centre riding, dont see too much real mud, mainly leaves, roots, nothing too deep.

Was thinking of trying Panaracer Cinders when these run out, or at least a narrower general purpose tyre on the rear (my rear is half worn already, front is fine for now)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    This winter I will be mainly using a pair of Dynastar Contact 4x4's or some Armada ARV's depending on the snow conditions on the day in question. My bikes will sadly be in a storage shed.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    My Racing Raplh's (very good tyre) have just started to reach there limits as everything is getting muddier so I have got a pair of Conti Edge's, going to fit them today and hopefully they should do the trick.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Another Nobby Nic abuser here. Had a Ralph on the back last weekend which I almost immediately regretted so Nic's at both ends. If it gets much worse I may be trying out something even more nobbly...
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • I use the black chilli speedking supersonics year round. Nice an light and they don't carry much mud on them, unlike the fire xc pro's which seem to clog up.

Or it could just be that I don't fancy adding any extra weight.. :oops:
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • ive been using continental verticals 2.35s no complaints yet 8)
    mountain biking is only fun until someone gets hurt..........................then its bloody hilarous!!
  • Went out in the mud yesterday with a kenda blue groove on the front and a nevegal on the back, apart from sucking up all the mud (it's like clay round here in places) there were grippy enough.
    +1 I have them on both my HT & trail bike - 2.3 up front and back for the HT and a 2.1 at the back of the FS. So far so good.