what tyres are you using for the winter?

rhyko7
rhyko7 Posts: 781
edited November 2009 in MTB general
i ride quite a lot of natural stuff and have had to order a full on mud tyres for the front as my high roller just doesnt grip enough in the mud. for the trail centres i will probably put the high roller back on as theyre normally still quite hard packed and not too muddy.

just wandering what tyres everyone else goes for over the winter months and why that particular tyre? we all got our faves :D
Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    For general riding kenda 2.10 excavator dtc rear 2.20 telonix dtc front, amazing combo and seems to handle the mud quite well, haven't put them to a full test yet.

For when it's really gloopy mud x every time.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Trailraker 2.1s.

Will be swapping them between the SS and the poshbike...
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sticking with my nevegal on the front, excavator on the rear for now, never really considered a need for more though I'm half thinking of something with a bit more dig for the front... I avoid the few local trails that get seriously swampy since I'd sooner not tear them up with a mud tyre, but not everyone has that luxury of course.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'm gonna be putting swamp things on mine as it gets a bit boggy around these parts

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    2.35 Swampthings, 42a on the front and 60a on the back, I was after a 2.1 for the back but couldn't find any at the time.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'll be using my Nobby Nics until the front doesn't cope, then I 'll put a 2.1 Trailracker up front.

When the back doesn't cope then a Mud X will go on.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    same ones I use for the summer; Maxxis HR 2.35 for traction, Schwalbe NN 2.4 Snakeskin for steering
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Went out in the mud yesterday with a kenda blue groove on the front and a nevegal on the back, apart from sucking up all the mud (it's like clay round here in places) there were grippy enough.
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    Maxxis Minion DH F single ply, they do a pretty good job i think, but haven't got much to compare them to.

Gotta keep the pressures down though!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    captainfly wrote:
    2.35 Swampthings, 42a on the front and 60a on the back, I was after a 2.1 for the back but couldn't find any at the time.

Plus one for that - best wet/mud combo going.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • To be honest I'm still using to use a old to use the phase "state of the ark" mud tires thin tall tires with hard but tall knobs.

in mud the old mud mads are great. else where as you'd imagine they are fairly awful.

in past most of the areas I went where if not muddy at least wet. even when wet swinley/northdowns don't get wet enough to warrant such full on mud tires, since most is just surface mud.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Using the same ones I use for summer, cannot be arsed pi$$ing about changing tyres, depending on trail cvonditions I vary my tyre pressure and it works for me.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    High Roller ST 2.3 up front - Works well over the wet roots
    Ignitor 2.1 on the rear
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • small block 8 on the back, racing ralph on the front, and believe it or not i have plenty of grip. though im sure when those leaves mush down into yuck ill have to change the back to a mud x.
  • Trail Bike - Swampy front, Minion DHR rear both 2.35
    DH bike - 2.5 Wet Scream front and 2.35 Swampy rear.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Fire XC Pro 2.1's. Use them all year round
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Super tacky Swampthing on the front. The greatest tyre ever made! :D
  • Panaracer Cinder 2.25, I use them all year, work for me.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    after being out today (very greasy and horrid) the minion ST is going back on the front till i get paid next week but having a part-worn high roller on the back i've never had so much fun drifting the bike at every oppertunity :D 8)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • general bike kenda Nevegal 26x2.1stick-E front,Nevegal 26x2.1 DTC back
    race bike Michein XCR Mud 26x2.0 tubeless
    spare bikes normally Nevegals
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    A tyre is a tyre it goes where it goes .. no matter ,, where the rider wants it to go !!!

Why bother changin tyre's at this time of year really a waste of time and money overall

POINTLESS

, do people not have the confidence in they're own ability to ride through all sorts of condition's
  • Continental Vertical 2.3 front and rear.
    Tested them out up at the Altura trail, Keswick, a lot of slippery slate and stones and they grip great. Bit of rolling resistance but the grip gives me more confidence to push faster on the single track.
    Scott Speedster S40
    Scott Spark 29 Elite
  • colintrav wrote:
    A tyre is a tyre it goes where it goes .. no matter ,, where the rider wants it to go !!!

Why bother changin tyre's at this time of year really a waste of time and money overall

POINTLESS

, do people not have the confidence in they're own ability to ride through all sorts of condition's

BS

try riding through hub deep mud on tyres for hardpack. You wont go anywhere.

I run rampages when wet, and then trailrakers when really really really wet.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Spesh Sauserwinds (1.8s) - roll well, grip well, I find narrower tyres better for cutting into mud. And they seem to resists punctures really well. And are cheap.
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    Rich9 wrote:
    Fire XC Pro 2.1's.

Put one on the back a couple of weeks ago and bought another for the front to fit this weekend. Lots of grip and good in the deep mud too.
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    colintrav wrote:

POINTLESS

Right I'm off to put some road tyres on my 6 tonne tractor and see if it can pull a 30 ft trailer across a muddy field, I think not. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Never got the changing tyres thing for summer/winter. We don't really have proper seasons in the UK - just changing weather. You can get bone-dry days in January and mud baths in July.

I understand people changing tyres for different trails/weather, but I think the summer/winter thing is a myth.

I can't be arsed with either however - I just ride my tyres till they wear out and then get new ones.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Halo knobblers - stay planted even on polished wet chalk
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Daz555 wrote:
    Never got the changing tyres thing for summer/winter. We don't really have proper seasons in the UK - just changing weather. You can get bone-dry days in January and mud baths in July.

I understand people changing tyres for different trails/weather, but I think the summer/winter thing is a myth.

I can't be arsed with either however - I just ride my tyres till they wear out and then get new ones.

Quoted for honesty !! Well In