First cyclocross

2»

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Well we (me and my son) did our 3rd cross race yesterday and bike handling getting better and improving a bit. I got 32nd in the vets so up to the top 3rd of the field and my lad got 2nd in the Youths. Going to do a bit of interval work and would like to get in the top 25% before the end of the season....will see
    Cracking fun though and the quality of the field seems a bit stronger than your average MTB race
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Low tyre pressure is generally your friend as far as cross is concerned. That said, I did a race last weekend that alternated between deep mud and deep sand punctuated by a section of fist sized rocks. That made tyre preservation and pressure pretty hard!
  • thanks for all the responses. i'm keeping my eyes out for a cheap cross bike but will be doing the rest of the league whether i have to beg borrow or steal...well maybe not steal but i'll get a bike somehow.
    one thing that surprised me was the commissaire (sp?) pointing out where the pits where and then, on getting back to that area, seeing peoplel swapping bikes - i had no idea anything like this happened. it explains the (relative) lack of mud attached to some bikes after the half hour point!
    on the point of tyre pressure - i probably knew i was running too much pressure but didn't want to DNF with a puncture :roll:
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Low tyre pressure is the key to maximising grip in soft conditions - hence ther big advantage of tubs, you can run them at 2 bar but with minimum risk of snakebite punctures - I can run clinchers at 3 bar, but it is iffy if encountering hard or rocky surfaces. I thought people were nuts paying £70 for a Dugast tub, but next year I'll proably invest in a pair for next year - as well as a lot more specific training, including run-ups and dismounts - spending a lap to gain 50 metres on a rider only to loose it by fluffing a remount.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Monty Dog wrote:
    as well as a lot more specific training, including run-ups and dismounts - spending a lap to gain 50 metres on a rider only to loose it by fluffing a remount.

+1. I was fluffing dismounts, remounts, descents, you name it. A giraffe wouldn't have been less elegant.

Do you chaps lower your saddle a little compared to your normal road riding position to make dismounts/remounts a bit easier?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I try to set up all my bikes the same with the same saddle height - never felt the need to drop my saddle - but most people run their bars a bit higher and closer to keep the weight more centred between the wheels - getting 'aero' on a cross bike isn't something you really experience in a muddy field
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rather than splashing out on tub, try going tubeless instead, ghetto style...

You'll eliminate punctures entirely and can use your current setup so it'll cost you all of 25-30 quid.
  • Graham,

I've done 2 cross races this season on Carbon mtb, first race was on 2.1 nobby nics, very muddy, nightmare collecting mud and the bike weighed a tonne!

second race i bought some GEAX Barro mud 1.7 from wiggle, 16 quid each and loads better in the mud and loads more clearance.

I may get a cross bike next season but i'll see out this one running these mud tyres on my mtb.

Very addictive sport though and defo a good class of rider at some events, makes for a good workout.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    as well as a lot more specific training, including run-ups and dismounts - spending a lap to gain 50 metres on a rider only to loose it by fluffing a remount.

+1. I was fluffing dismounts, remounts, descents, you name it. A giraffe wouldn't have been less elegant.

Do you chaps lower your saddle a little compared to your normal road riding position to make dismounts/remounts a bit easier?

One of my mates who is one of the best cross racers in the north of England advised me to run my saddle marginally lower for cross. More so for the riding than the re-mounting.
  • cjcp
    Cheers MD and Celbianchi. I meant to ask others after the race, but I was too knackered. I felt slightly high on the bike in the muddy conditions and as if I had to stretch a bit too much on the dis/remounts; it was ok on a completely dry course, but there was only one dismount point. Was supposed to race today at Hillingdon, but seeing friends so couldn't.

Btw, anyone done a Cyclocross Madison? What level of carnage would that be? :) There's one at Herne Hill on NY Day.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    cjcp wrote:
    Btw, anyone done a Cyclocross Madison? What level of carnage would that be? :) There's one at Herne Hill on NY Day.

I'm going to do that one hopefully! I think it'd be ideal actually, go hard for a lap, get a lap recovery, go hard again...
  • cjcp
    maryka wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I'm going to do that one hopefully! I think it'd be ideal actually, go hard for a lap, get a lap recovery, go hard again...

Looks as if I'm going to be walking around Kew Gardens with the family. Foiled! Good luck if you do it.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."