First cyclocross

Barkiesnake
Barkiesnake Posts: 244
edited December 2009 in Amateur race
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.
I am about to do my first cyclocross race in a weeks time and as i dont want to risk trashing my best road bike i am left with a choice of 2 bikes to ride.
The first is a specialized crossroads flat bar hybrid, already fitted with off road tyres, the second is a 1973 5 speed peugeot racer with steel frame to which i can add tyres as required.
Which, in peoples opinion, would be the better choice?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Use the Specialized as it's closest to a CX of your choices. You could struggle round on the Peugeot, but why would you want to?
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    Agree, go with the Spesh and just have fun for your first race :)
  • Do people use the drops that much in cx races? It'd scare the bejesus out of me!
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Grazza82 wrote:
    Do people use the drops that much in cx races? It'd scare the bejesus out of me!

I use mine occasionally.

The guy who won the 3 peak cx this year used straight bars.
  • I did my first cross race a few weeks ago on my mtb and enjoyed it so much that I'm doing another tomorrow (cyclo-cross.org.uk). A 5" full-suss wasn't the ideal tool for the job, but I didn't come last.

What really surprised me was how welcoming everyone was. I thought people would be looking down on me a bit, being on a mtb, but everyone there was actually quite interested in the fact.

Have fun.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Grazza82 wrote:
    Do people use the drops that much in cx races? It'd scare the bejesus out of me!

Strange, but I did my 3rd cross race yesterday and I spent the entire race on the drops. I hadn't used them much in the previous two races, but I liked the lower position when I got on them yesterday, I have always struggled on cornering in crits and this has transferred to the cx races (I put it down to my 6ft 4" height). Although being on the drops was more twitchy, I found it easier to make last second adjustments and control the bike.

I'll definately consider trying it again in the right circumstances.
  • OP: in my opinion: the hybrid spesh.
    make sure the tyres you've got are at least a little bit grippy in the mud given the weather we've been having - if you've been riding the hybrid on the road, you might want to let a little bit of air out of the tyres: high pressure = slippy-slidey time.

CX is brilliant fun, don't worry about being lapped & getting muddy, and if you can think, you're not pedalling hard enough!

pedalling in squishy mud can be a bit "exciting" if you haven't ever done it, but don't worry, just point the bike in the general direction you want to go and pedal.

I'd also reccomend pre-riding the course if you can, and if there are any technical bits, practice them a few times to get your lines sorted beofre you are racing.

lfcquin: have you thought about lowering the entire cockpit by taking out a few headset spacers? that might give you the position and give you the more immediate control of the hoods.

I use the drops for flat out bits, and it's surprising how much control you do have, although it is a bit more twitchy :?
  • OP: in my opinion: the hybrid spesh.
    make sure the tyres you've got are at least a little bit grippy in the mud given the weather we've been having - if you've been riding the hybrid on the road, you might want to let a little bit of air out of the tyres: high pressure = slippy-slidey time.

CX is brilliant fun, don't worry about being lapped & getting muddy, and if you can think, you're not pedalling hard enough!

pedalling in squishy mud can be a bit "exciting" if you haven't ever done it, but don't worry, just point the bike in the general direction you want to go and pedal.

I'd also reccomend pre-riding the course if you can, and if there are any technical bits, practice them a few times to get your lines sorted beofre you are racing.

lfcquin: have you thought about lowering the entire cockpit by taking out a few headset spacers? that might give you the position and give you the more immediate control of the hoods.

I use the drops for flat out bits, and it's surprising how much control you do have, although it is a bit more twitchy :?
  • Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to giving it a go. If i like it i may consider another new bike but dont tell the wife eh. :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Might be too late, but depending on the course, the two most important factors are tyre choice and mud clearance. I doubt too you'd ber able to fit a proper cross tyre to your Peugeot and still have enough clearance for the brakes / mud. Run your tyres at low pressure too - not enough to pinch flat, start at 40psi and see how you get on. Most local league races have a complete range of riders from experienced racers to novices on MTBs - the field soon sorts itself out and provided you make sure you stay clear of faster riders on being lapped, you'll enjoy yourself greatly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for all the replies guys,
    I took part in my first race yesterday and in spite of not finishing :oops: i had a great time.
    I am now planning to do another one next month but will put cross tyres onto my spesh first as the hybrid tyres just didn't cope well at all.
    I can honestly say though that that was the toughest cycling i have ever done. :D
    lokks like i may have to save up for a cross bike for next season.
  • neil²
    Thanks for all the replies guys,
    I took part in my first race yesterday and in spite of not finishing :oops: i had a great time.
    I am now planning to do another one next month but will put cross tyres onto my spesh first as the hybrid tyres just didn't cope well at all.
    I can honestly say though that that was the toughest cycling i have ever done. :D

I didn't finish my first two due to mechanical failures (gear hanger / chain). You'll soon get on a roll. Decent tyres are a must!

What stopped you?
  • neil² wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies guys,

I didn't finish my first two due to mechanical failures (gear hanger / chain). You'll soon get on a roll. Decent tyres are a must!

What stopped you?

No grip on tyres as the hybrids i was riding were just clogged with mud which didn't clear but also the fact that my lungs felt like they were gonna bust out of my chest. :shock:

resting today then training starts tomorrow ready for Dec 13th :D
  • neil²
    No grip on tyres as the hybrids i was riding were just clogged with mud which didn't clear but also the fact that my lungs felt like they were gonna bust out of my chest. :shock:

training is a good idea! You'll get fit just in time for the end of the season :lol:
  • neil² wrote:

training is a good idea! You'll get fit just in time for the end of the season :lol:

Damn!!! you spotted my cunning plan :D
    Still it will give me something to build on for next year :lol:
  • GiantMike
    neil² wrote:
    I didn't finish my first two due to mechanical failures (gear hanger / chain).

Nei, was that you with the broken chain on the first lap?

I'm doing the Cowley race on 28 Nov. The last one was quite good and had 117 entries.
  • neil²
    GiantMike wrote:
    neil² wrote:
    I didn't finish my first two due to mechanical failures (gear hanger / chain).

Nei, was that you with the broken chain on the first lap?

I'm doing the Cowley race on 28 Nov. The last one was quite good and had 117 entries.

I was being historical... :)

Chains always go on the first lap - all the power with none of the lactic acid!
  • GiantMike
    neil² wrote:
    I was being historical... :)

Chains always go on the first lap - all the power with none of the lactic acid!

Hmmm. I must remember to read before I write.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I was gutted when my chain snapped with only 2 laps to go of the race, all of that effort wasted.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    the fact that my lungs felt like they were gonna bust out of my chest. :shock:

That will still happen when you are fitter, just that you will be going faster ;)
  • SBezza wrote:
    the fact that my lungs felt like they were gonna bust out of my chest. :shock:

That will still happen when you are fitter, just that you will be going faster ;)

thanks!!! i will bear this in mind as I train. :wink:
    BTW anyone read Simon Burney's book? any good for a noobie? :?:
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Did my first race Nov 8th and next one on Saturday
    Very slippy and despite being a mountain biker did not cope as well as I should have done with the mud
    End result was something like 68 th out of around 135 which was disappointing
    Reflecting back I wasn't quick enough with the dismounting and remounting but hadn't been able to ride the course either(sharing the bike with my lad who was the race before in the youths) probably didn't help though. Great fun though and looking forward to a better showing on Saturday
  • Hi all,

Did my first cross race today so thought i'd join the forums and add my two penneth worth or so.

I also made the mistake of having a go using my MTB and it resulted in a DNF due to a drivetrain that refused to er, drive. The big "mud" tyres on it did sweet FA as the tread just clogged up after 400yards leaving me, effectively, racing on slicks and well, I just couldn't help but get the feeling I was in the way of the front-runners (and mid-runners, and back markers)...but saying that it was a right laugh!...and i'm hooked :P

I've just got a few questions
    1) how pissed off do the fast people get at newbies falling off in front of them? or getting in the way due to their "line" taking up the whole course width due to the amount of slithering about going on?
    2) are cross tyres better at dealing with mud or do i just have to learn to handle my bike better?
    3) is it normal that my legs/lungs hardly got a work out because i felt like i was going to crash everytime i tried to get some speed up?

Cheers,

G.
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • eeerm, you shouldn't have any trouble with a mtb on a cx course.
  • well i managed to :?
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Glad to hear you had a go
    Not sure what tyres you have but some thinner 1.5" ones would be the way to go-you don't get too much grip on cross tyres and you certainly need to get used to sliding around
    It's normally best to try and stay off the racing line as the front runners come through
    Once you feel a bit more confident your lungs will be busting after a race
    Good luck with the next one
  • neil²
    grahamg123 wrote:

I've just got a few questions
    1) how pissed off do the fast people get at newbies falling off in front of them? or getting in the way due to their "line" taking up the whole course width due to the amount of slithering about going on?
    2) are cross tyres better at dealing with mud or do i just have to learn to handle my bike better?
    3) is it normal that my legs/lungs hardly got a work out because i felt like i was going to crash everytime i tried to get some speed up?

Cheers,

G.

1) If anyone gets pissed off and shouts don't take it personally. They are in a race, just like you, but they are with different people. I get pissed off when the leaders shout 'on the left' and then take half a lap to make the move whilst I compromise my line.

2) if your race was anything like mine this weekend then the mud was very sticky and would clog anything, really, but racier tyres might be a good idea. YES - you DO need to learn to handle the bike better.

3) if your lungs aren't bursting you aren't trying hard enough :wink: Once you get a bit more confidence you should find a few places on any course where you can do a full-power interval until lung burst.

Don't be put off! The learning curve is steep, and you will get better quickly.
  • GiantMike
    grahamg123 wrote:
    Cheers,

G.

The best form of training is racing because you try SO much harder. In the gym I struggle to keep my hert rate above 150 whereas in a race it's 170+ for a full hour or so. There's no way I could manage that in a gym which is why I always feel like I've been beaten up at the end of a race.
  • it isn't trying, it's the adrenaline of racing, the excitement of it. For the same level of pushing yourself you output a significantly greater amount.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME what makes a good trail tyre is often a useless race tyre - I have a pair of wheels with intermediate cross tubs, but lately they've been a bit slippery. Tried some Racing Ralph cross tyres and they were worse - just hooked up with mud and I was sliding everywhere - many cross mud tyres have fewer knobs to make mud clearance easier.
    When racing 'cross my HR goes to 90% and stays there for 60 minutes.
    In terms of improving your bike handling, cross is the toughest because you have to be smooth and can't rely on suspension and fancy brakes to correct your mistakes - even the best guys fall off, it's part of the challenge.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..