It happened again! - I keep getting told off...

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bikes aren't allowed on pavements either though.
  • where does the law stand on farmers ploughing up bridleways out of exisitance to the point that it would be dangerous for horses and not even walkable

it happened round me a bit this year, some of our local farmers have been great though and rolled sections where the rights of way run so thier hardpacked
  • Anonymous
    I've seen plenty of bridleways completely ruined by horses, ironically.
    Such a bad state that the only thing that could travel along it would be a tank.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Has anyone seen horses on footpaths?
    Not really active
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cyclepaths yes
    Bridleways yes
    Green lanes yes
    Footpaths no - the clue is in the name 'foot-path'
    Pavement no - MTFU and ride on the road like the rest of us
    However pedestrians have right of way anywhere even on the road
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    sorry i got a bit lost in this thread, can some one please confirm whether you can get off and push your bike on a footpath in England? :?

From my quick read through the thread it seems as if this in not allowed and leaves me totally bemused!
  • Anonymous
    No one will EVER sue you for pushing a bike across a footpath on their land, as long as you stick to the path.
    Hell, even if they did, they'd never win (in a reasonable world - but then I doubt we DO live in a reasonable world)

The problem comes down to a mis-interpretation of the laws. A bicycle is not listed as an example of "usual accompaniment", and many councils (and people) took this to mean pushing a bike was not allowed.
  • i don't see what the problem is.o.k im from the country side i ride where the fcuk i like and people could'nt care less,there must just be more stress where you guys are from.seriously there are bigger problems.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • Anonymous
    No stress here either, but if you get a bollocking for doing something you KNOW you shouldn't be doing, you shouldn't come here moaning about it, right?
    I'm sure most of us ride on footpaths, but if I get shouted at or whatever, I aplogise, and hang my head in guilt :lol:
  • _Ferret_
    Wow, lots to read through here...

Except for getting a little political at one point most of you stayed on track - at least my faith in humanity has been a little bit repaired.
    Yes I have been a naughty boy, shame on me!
    However, it's good to know that there are a few bikers out there with common sense who don't cling to the rulebook like it was the only thing they have and would have done the same as me.
    I only wanted to share this as it's the first time I've been told off by another biker. Normally I don't get grief where I ride.

BTW - I'll moan about what I like where I like, regardless of your point of view - that's the great thing about forums...
    Not really active
  • Anonymous
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    BTW - I'll moan about what I like where I like, regardless of your point of view - that's the great thing about forums...
    Fair enough. Just don't expect anyone to side with you by default.
  • _Ferret_
    some did - that's enough for me.
    It would also be a shame if everyone just agreed with everyone - it would make a very boring forum :wink:
    Not really active
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    It would also be a shame if everyone just agreed with everyone
    I disagree =]
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    If it was a push up route and you knew it, then your a muppet for riding down it.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    No stress here either, but if you get a bollocking for doing something you KNOW you shouldn't be doing, you shouldn't come here moaning about it, right?
    I'm sure most of us ride on footpaths, but if I get shouted at or whatever, I aplogise, and hang my head in guilt :lol:

never hang your head in guilt...

you need to keep your head up to be looking down the trail :shock:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • _Ferret_
    I don't even know what a push-up route is!

Can't be bothered to explain again - just read the previous posts till you find the bit where I describe what kind of track it was...
    I thought it was perfectly reasonable to ride there (with a little common sense) but shame on me for not having my rule book with me to check, instead I just took the chance anyway. :wink:
    Not really active
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Cyclepaths yes
    Bridleways yes
    Green lanes yes
    Footpaths no - the clue is in the name 'foot-path'
    Pavement no - MTFU and ride on the road like the rest of us
    However pedestrians have right of way anywhere even on the road

Green lanes- There is no such thing in law. The phrase doesnt actually mean much. Greenlane is used to describe byways, RB and RUPP's, all of which are different things!

:)
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I seem to remember that there was a case where the usual accompaniment 'law' was tested - there must be a weblink somewhere.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    No one will EVER sue you for pushing a bike across a footpath on their land, as long as you stick to the path.
    Hell, even if they did, they'd never win (in a reasonable world - but then I doubt we DO live in a reasonable world)

AFAIK they'd have to prove that you had damaged their land, sounds very difficult.

While I personally feel pushing a bike along a footpath is fine, I believe that mountain bikers should be aware of their access rights to be able to make an informed decision of where to ride.
  • Anonymous
    wow, way to resurrect a dead thread! (twice)
  • ...except that the link was completely relevant to the thread .. and not "pointless junk of no use to anyone"

Got any more pointless cartoons of no use to anyone?
  • Anonymous
    I do, yes. Would you like to see some?

As you asked, not used this one in a while:

monkey-riding-dog-kingpin-inc.jpg
  • Anonymous
    poster.jpg
    P-21_Paranoid.jpg
    capslock.jpg
  • with that mud guard on the rear of his Zesty - case proven :roll: