NEw sport instead of MTBing

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2009 in MTB general
So, the weather is always bad in the UK, so I have been thinking of doing and indoor sport that will help with my biking, but I can always do the sport, because it's indoors. DO you have and suggestions? I live in Vale of Glamorgan, so do you know any indoor sports places? wtih good sports?

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Spinning or a cycle trainer.

or the sport of MTFU :wink:

actually, I cycle commute a lot in the winter. With decent kit it is bordering on pleasurable and certainly better than sweating away in some gym.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Dont stop MTBing, thats the answer. I tend to bike more through the winter than in the summer, as apart from being colder its normally always wet and muddy. Just keep on top of keeping your bike clean after every ride.

Beats standing still in the garage on a turbo trainer, or spending money joining a gym, or even joining the missus on the living room floor with her latest arobics dvd. ;o) Suppose you could join her on the living room floor after her work out. She'll aready be hot and sweaty................ :wink:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I have joined the gym this winter but not as a substitute to riding. During the winter I'll miss out on at least riding one night a week (lights don't come out very often), a round of golf a week and possibly cancelled games of five-a-sides if the pitches are unplayable.

BUT - there is no way that I'd even consider stopping riding at the weekends whatever the weather decides to do. I've seen heading down to Glentress on roads that are nearly undrivable just to get there!

I'd agree with the fantastic piece of advice given above - MTFU. Possibly add a few gym sessions in a week if you're struggling to get enough exercise in but don't put the bike away over winter!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I do a lot of boxing and badminton, as well as bmxing, road biking, and mountain biking. Its something about the bs. Anyone for bowls?

Also swimming is very good.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I tend to trail run more when it's really wet - less kit to clean and break!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    invest in decent weather gear.....

if you waited for the good weather...you would wait half your life.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    At least you don't live in Canada :wink:

You cant bike any were from Oct to march or April as there is 10 feet of snow and -40, unless you live in far west BC.

I used to ski or Snowboard, or go snowmobiling, or xc skiing.

Here its great.... It rains... Well I for one am not made out of sugar, so I am going to get some base layers on and get muddy as f%£$
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    I've found its often drier in the winter then it is summer..and nothing beats a frosty feb morning on crisp empty trails. Keep riding.
  • no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong kit.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    papasmurf. wrote:
    I've found its often drier in the winter then it is summer..and nothing beats a frosty feb morning on crisp empty trails. Keep riding.

definately....

its this wee bit before new year that is wet.....once it gets cold...i agree it is normally nice and dry.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Another added bonus of riding in the winter - almost no walkers about to get in the way...
    Not really active
  • I agree with getting the clobber. It will be cheaper in the long run and there is nothing like going out and getting muddy,
    I am writting this having my last cuppa and a slice of toast before going out and having some fun, its wet, slightly breezy and just about the right temp to not boil too much.
    Nike' slogan is right. Just Do It!
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,785
    If you go pale at the sight of mud :) then do a bit of road biking/commuting - another form of biking has to be pretty good for your MTB'ing - I commute in a couple of days a week and as Bomberesque says, its quite enjoyable (!) with the right kit.

Failing that, gym, circuit training, swimming are all pretty good for general strength/fitness, if you can stand them - personally they bore me to death. I'd rather go out running if biking isn't an option.

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Gym 5 days a week..

However i'm lucky that we have a gym in the office so i do that at lunchtime :)
  • Anonymous
    Pit-fighting
  • or the sport of MTFU :wink:

^ lol

papasmurf. wrote:

and yes
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    mud riding is awesome good fun, makes you faster in the summer

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    papasmurf. wrote:
    I've found its often drier in the winter then it is summer

And this weeks Biggest Pile of Cobblers Post award goes to...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    To be fair, up until a week or 2 ago we'd had about 6 weeks of lovely dry (as in dusty) trails. I remember when I put my Racing Ralphs on in June, it seemed to rain non stop for a month. I've got a pic from July of my bike buried up to the hubs in mud after I thought I could just spin through that damp looking bit.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I intend on swimming, increase my lung capacity a bit
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    It's all very well being macho about wet weather riding and I have decent kit BUT I hate the way my bike wears out three times quicker and constant mega cleaning does get dull.

Surfing is fun in the Winter :D

And when it rains, it's warmer :D
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    not cobblers at all lol ,
    Jan is typically one of the dryest months of the year. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Sod the constant mega-cleaning, just don't bother. It'll only get dirtier the day after anyway.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    LOW POWER JET WASH!

clean bike in 5mins

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Call of Duty Modern warfare 2 comes out next week !! that will do nicely and it dont need cleaning. And dont knock it till you try it online It will be Awsome. :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Climbing seems like a good complement to cycling, different skills and it works different muscles, plus it's higher intensity. But the appeal's kind of similiar I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    get proper clothing and keep riding. also you can ride faster because the colder air helps you stay cooler for longer.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Sod staying indoors when it rains!

get out and enjoy it, go white water kayaking!

Can be really good fitness training aswell
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    So, the weather is always bad in the UK, so I have been thinking of doing and indoor sport that will help with my biking, but I can always do the sport, because it's indoors. DO you have and suggestions? I live in Vale of Glamorgan, so do you know any indoor sports places? wtih good sports?

Your defo at the bam up ,