Tackling a 1 mile long 11 - 13 % hill climb ...........

2»

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    The climb out of Draycott up to the Mendips (just east of Cheddar) climbs about 200 m in 1.6 km, according to mapmyride.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/mendi ... 2101143473

I'd imagine a fair few relatively unknown climbs could average 12% or so for a mile.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Lazarus wrote:
    As oldwelshie has posted the 38% is on the bend and i would think that's only if you take the inside line, not that the outside line is much better :) if it is the case then you will not notice the 38% because it will be over very quickly and you will then discover that the hill is nowhere near finished with you and you begin to wonder what your doing it for :twisted:

Just as a side note it's better/more vicious to start from the B&Q roundabout and head up the hill, then at the junction go straight across and head up another hill then as the road bends to the right , turn left and you will get to the section that welshie has posted about where you go past the golf club.
    Yep from the bottom it is a right bugger :D I took a club run up it years ago and won a tenner as I bet 2 twiglest they would have to get out of saddle and they did as the front lifted round the bend.
    In the winter it is awful as you can see the bend through the trees when your already struggling.
    I have climed some monster climbs and did bwlch y groes in N.Wales, and some big unknown ones in Italy, and none get my legs to burn like this one. I would love to see a hill climb on it as you have to pace this climb or you will walk!!

I stupdly did it as a short cut last year over to my parents, after 95 miles over bwlch, rhigos, etc as prep for marmotte, but nothing in the Marmotte hurts like that. I was on bottom gear crawling round th ebend and was the closest I ever come to getting off and didn't as there was a couple walking a dog so I had to save face!!There is a pic of me doing it in my link below, but that was another time fortunately.
    It is about 38% in worst bit through the walled bend, the hard bit is about 80m, but whoever planned that cattle grid after that was not a cyclist as you have to try to sprint over it when your knackerred and that is about 8 or 10% itself.
    I never go down it, too dodgy.

Pross I must know you, I did the five valleys when it was elite and pros rode it, my claim to fame, I got second in 1982 I think beaten by Steve Wallington the pro, I got £30, not bad for that long ago :D I think Ben Luckwell was in it riding for Team Zoyland, Phill Galloway and a few others.
    That was a good route for a race, they don't do them like that now.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    I never go down it, too dodgy.

Thank you :D

People laugh when i honestly tell them i come down it slower than i can go it up ! ! !
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Well guys you got me beat there, never knew that one existed, will find time to have a look at it.

I had a chat with my friend (Gareth, top ten in Welsh hill climb and winner of Laz's club's hill climb on many occasions) and he confessed to walking up there, he said it was an absolute killer as well.
  • Lazarus
    Chris there's always the option to scout it first by going down it. (but please take it easy if a car comes the other way it's very hard to stop the bike )

Climb up Nantgarw Hill and go behind the garden centre and follow the road you'll get to some junctions but your unerring sense of direction will see you alright
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Oldwelshman......could you post a route from bikeroutetoaster/bikely etc. of that climb you mentioned from pontypridd.....I'd love to give it a go :lol: Thanks
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    id love to see a pic of oldwelshies 38% hellclimb.

Jimmy
  • Jimmy K - have you done Divis mountain. Phoenix club hill climb course from start of Divis road to very top where masts are - and what a view on a clear day. fastest time 14.30. If you cycle from centre of belfast up the crumlin road you get a 5-6 mile climb - not alpine proportions but youl know youve done it :)

From Divis Road at junction of springfield road at top - Now national trust park with no cars (unfortunately a gate in the middle which we get opened!)
    start at 669ft above sea level
    finish at 1568ft so 899 ft of climbing
    distance on road 3.66 miles
    17% steepest gradient 100 meters from finish
    9% on divis road but mostly 5%.
    14 mins would be 15.68mph
    20 mins is almost 11 mph
  • oldwelshman
    JimmyK wrote:
    id love to see a pic of oldwelshies 38% hellclimb.

Jimmy
    If you look in my album in my link below there are photographs there but the camera angle is pointing down so perspective makes it look less steep as my daughter took it and was standing on a very steep section to :D
    I have seen many good climbers fail on it as it has a very hard section leading up to it so almost max hr when you hit the steep bit.
    I will try top get a route on here some hoe but apparently they also held hill climbs on it years ago.
    I will see if I can get my garmon data for it, if not next time I go down my mothers I will climb it and store and post the garmin data for you.
    I have never gone up the steep bi more than 4mph, impossible :D
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    Jimmy K - have you done Divis mountain. Phoenix club hill climb course from start of Divis road to very top where masts are - and what a view on a clear day. fastest time 14.30. If you cycle from centre of belfast up the crumlin road you get a 5-6 mile climb - not alpine proportions but youl know youve done it :)

From Divis Road at junction of springfield road at top - Now national trust park with no cars (unfortunately a gate in the middle which we get opened!)
    start at 669ft above sea level
    finish at 1568ft so 899 ft of climbing
    distance on road 3.66 miles
    17% steepest gradient 100 meters from finish
    9% on divis road but mostly 5%.
    14 mins would be 15.68mph
    20 mins is almost 11 mph

I know the crum well, its not a route ive ever taken on the bike though, id usually head on up the Shore Road out to carrickfergus , its a nice ride. I really must do a stint out past cfergus and whitehead and head on out the antrim coast, beautiful part of the world and right by the waters edge.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,841
    Pross I must know you, I did the five valleys when it was elite and pros rode it, my claim to fame, I got second in 1982 I think beaten by Steve Wallington the pro, I got £30, not bad for that long ago I think Ben Luckwell was in it riding for Team Zoyland, Phill Galloway and a few others.

I was thinking I must know you but looked at the track results and don't know your name. I think I'm a few years younger and did the 5 Valleys in about 94 or 95 when it was just a 1/2/3 cat race. My claim to fame was getting back to Aberavon sea front before the sag wagon but only because Austin? from Ogmore Wheelers insisted on finishing the race :lol:
  • oldwelshman
    Pross wrote:
    Pross I must know you, I did the five valleys when it was elite and pros rode it, my claim to fame, I got second in 1982 I think beaten by Steve Wallington the pro, I got £30, not bad for that long ago I think Ben Luckwell was in it riding for Team Zoyland, Phill Galloway and a few others.

I was thinking I must know you but looked at the track results and don't know your name. I think I'm a few years younger and did the 5 Valleys in about 94 or 95 when it was just a 1/2/3 cat race. My claim to fame was getting back to Aberavon sea front before the sag wagon but only because Austin? from Ogmore Wheelers insisted on finishing the race :lol:
    Austin Heath lol Yes I know Austin :D
    He threw me out of one race years ago for slipstreaming a lorry!!
    We were in a race down gwent and on a48 we were heading to Caldicot and a lorry pulled out just as me and 2 riders started a break. The lorry was a heavy quarry lorry and was doing about 25mph ans getting faster as we caught it so could not pass it as it was a bit too fast and we just sort of got towed :D It obviously got faster so when I looked round the bunch had dissapeared :D I went back to the lead car and told Austin I would drop back which I did, made another break but he still threw me out :D
    I was racing about 1982/83 then.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Jimmy K - have you done Divis mountain. Phoenix club hill climb course from start of Divis road to very top where masts are - and what a view on a clear day. fastest time 14.30. If you cycle from centre of belfast up the crumlin road you get a 5-6 mile climb - not alpine proportions but youl know youve done it :)

Where is the gate exactly and is it alway closed? This would be a 10 mile, almost constant climb gaining over 1500ft from my house and sounds quite appealing!
  • Lazarus
    voxegam wrote:
    Oldwelshman......could you post a route from bikeroutetoaster/bikely etc. of that climb you mentioned from pontypridd.....I'd love to give it a go :lol: Thanks

Not biketoaster but....

If we take the starting point as the famous old bridge in Pontypridd

You will see a roundabout not very far away.
    Approach the roundabout and directly across the other side you see a hill going up.
    Go up the hill until you get to a junction.
    Then go directly across the junction up another hill.
    Eventually the road will flatten off and bear right, at this point you must turn left.
    It then starts off easy and you will eventually PASS the turn off for Pontypridd Golf Club.
    Keep on going past and then your troubles will begin.

If you climb all the way up over the top and begin to descend , when you get the opportunity to turn off right, if you take this turning you will end up by Tesco's at the top of Treforest Industrial estate otherwise you will continue over the mountain to caerphilly
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • oldwelshman
    Lazarus wrote:
    voxegam wrote:

Not biketoaster but....

If we take the starting point as the famous old bridge in Pontypridd

You will see a roundabout not very far away.
    Approach the roundabout and directly across the other side you see a hill going up.
    Go up the hill until you get to a junction.
    Then go directly across the junction up another hill.
    Eventually the road will flatten off and bear right, at this point you must turn left.
    It then starts off easy and you will eventually PASS the turn off for Pontypridd Golf Club.
    Keep on going past and then your troubles will begin.

If you climb all the way up over the top and begin to descend , when you get the opportunity to turn off right, if you take this turning you will end up by Tesco's at the top of Treforest Industrial estate otherwise you will continue over the mountain to caerphilly

Noooo, you wont come out at Caerphilly you will come out in Abertridwr where I was born and lived :-)
    If you want a nice little loop, go straight and descend into Aber, then at the Aber square junction turn left and go to Senghenydd and past of sawmills (and site of largest UK mining disaster) and climb over to Nelson, some nice views of the rhondaa, Brecon Beacons and Severn Channel from there.
  • oldwelshman
    voxegam wrote:
    Let me know how you get on :-)
    I will probably do it a couple of times when down on weekends soon.
    Let me know and you can join me :D
    A little tip, go as easy as you can from the golf club becuse once you go past and start to turn right, there is no respite until the top.
  • Lazarus
    Abertridwr/Caerphilly it's all wild west territory over there :wink::lol:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,841
    Something like this then?

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/pontypridd/470125725312481057

Will give that a go once I have a compact and get a bit fitter :shock: Map my Ride does the usual trick of making the elevation appear flatter than it really is!
  • oldwelshman
    Pross wrote:
    Something like this then?

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/pontypridd/470125725312481057

Will give that a go once I have a compact and get a bit fitter :shock: Map my Ride does the usual trick of making the elevation appear flatter than it really is!

You can start by the a470 and there is a steep little bit there to start you off, point 1 is where it hurts, point 2 is about the end of the climb.
    Turn left by point 4 and you can ride to Nelson with another good climb :D