Etiquette in the hills

2»

Comments

• gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Infamous wrote:
    It's obvious what's going on, they are taking it easy up hills and staying together and you are going balls out. That's why they're telling you to slow down. Classic newbie error.]

So, why would we cycle out to the Surrey Hills, choosing a route that includes Crocknorth Road and Box Hill, and not take a crack at the hills? :?:

As for "balls out" - I wouldn't/couldn't do that whilst seated firmly on the saddle! (see earlier post)
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    gbs wrote:
    Infamous wrote:
    It's obvious what's going on, they are taking it easy up hills and staying together and you are going balls out. That's why they're telling you to slow down. Classic newbie error.]

So, why would we cycle out to the Surrey Hills, choosing a route that includes Crocknorth Road and Box Hill, and not take a crack at the hills? :?:

As for "balls out" - I wouldn't/couldn't do that whilst seated firmly on the saddle! (see earlier post)

Did you stop though when you got to the top of the hills?

When I have rode with the RPCC guys the group does sometimes get stretched out with me usually as the Lantern Rouge :oops: On the hills they go at their own pace (especially Combe Lane) but ALWAYS wait at the top for the group to reform and take on water etc. Crocknorth is usually pretty bunched together then a fast pace is ensured for the route y over to Ranmore Common and down to Box Hill.

Box Hill has always been everyman for himself.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    To NWLondoner: stop at top? Yes, or slow pedalled, as mentioned earlier in response to ShsoSh.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    gbs wrote:
    It's a club run in october, they will be taking it easy and riding in a group.

The fact is it's much harder to drop a 80kg fellow on the flat than it is on a hill, (in fact apart from out and out climbers, it's harder to drop anyone on the flat than it is on a hill.) so going by what you have said, they are on a typical winter club run, having a chat and enjoying it and you're racing up the hills.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Infamous wrote:
    they are on a typical winter club run, having a chat and enjoying it and you're racing up the hills.

Don't agree. On such a ride they would have slowed on the flats.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French