Tyre Choice.....Far too Many !!

2»

Comments

• Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Yes, I had High Roller 2.1s on my Meta 5 and never had a problem with grip even in winter and very confidence inspiring even on wet rock however they don't roll that fast so I tried Mountain Kings and they were pretty good and fast but not the same level of grip and they seem to let go unexpectedly rather more often particularly on the front. Of course a lot of people mix their tyres with a bigger grippier one on the front and a narrower fast rolling one on the rear - not sure what would be a good combo but I think I definitely would rather have my tail hanging ot than get dumped on my face.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I read one review here talking about Maxxis Ignitor 2.3's saying they were good. I've been running these for about 3 weeks on my 09' GT I-Drive 5 XCR and am really pleased with them. I've not had any experience of the High Rollers (which is what i'd go for if I wasn't happy with these) but I'd be more than happy to run these again when my set run out of nobbles. I ride a lot of road to get to Rudry in Cardiff and then up into the forest riding a lot of fire breaks and muddy single track. I've just been out in horrendous weather conditions and found the to be fast enough on road, very good on the fire breaks (tight pack gravel) and only slightly out of their depth in the really (6") muddy bits, but brilliant all round. I run 45psi atm for road but even at this relatively high pressure they don't dissapoint off road, I hit a few wet logs in the forest at a 45 degree angle expecting them to drop straight off but the just gripped and kept going, impressive. On fast wet DH tarmac roads I run out of confidence before they ran out of grip (wish my Juicy 3's were better in the wet though :cry: )
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I read one review here talking about Maxxis Ignitor 2.3's saying they were good. I've been running these for about 3 weeks on my 09' GT I-Drive 5 XCR and am really pleased with them. I've not had any experience of the High Rollers (which is what i'd go for if I wasn't happy with these) but I'd be more than happy to run these again when my set run out of nobbles. I ride a lot of road to get to Rudry in Cardiff and then up into the forest riding a lot of fire breaks and muddy single track. I've just been out in horrendous weather conditions and found the to be fast enough on road, very good on the fire breaks (tight pack gravel) and only slightly out of their depth in the really (6") muddy bits, but brilliant all round. I run 45psi atm for road but even at this relatively high pressure they don't dissapoint off road, I hit a few wet logs in the forest at a 45 degree angle expecting them to drop straight off but the just gripped and kept going, impressive. On fast wet DH tarmac roads I run out of confidence before they ran out of grip (wish my Juicy 3's were better in the wet though :cry: )

I have the same bike as you but have a completely different opinion of the Ignitors. Fine for road (I have quite a bit to get to trails) and I would imagine on hardpacked fire roads etc but poor in mud compared to Nevegals I had on my previous bike and on rocky descents I'm finding them downright dangerous with no grip at all. It may be they are just still muddy as my local loop is very muddy on the bridleway sections followed by some very rough and rocky sections almost immediately. I'm seriously thinking of changing them for something else and my old Nevegals are a serious contender. I'm still trying to set up forks/shock for best results so will wait until I'm happy with them before I make a final judgement though, I also think the Ignitors are pretty heavy btw as they are the wire beaded version :wink:

If anyone could suggest anything that would suit my kind of riding feel free :D
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Squarepants
    interesting comparison handful. I must admit this is my first £1000+ rig so maybe what I'm comparing the ignitors to here is the limiting factor (I previously had a Saracen Raw 2 with no makes on it) and I'm still setting up the 5 myself. I got it and the front shox were woefully under inflated, I'm 13.5 stone and they now run about 100 psi with the rear at about 140psi I think. I find this much better but I'm sure could be improved with some more fine tuning (need to get a shock pump from Halfords). I've spent a lot of time recently reviewing tyres on here and all the guys input is useful when talking about own experience, I've been considereing Bontrager Mud Xs but hey if you're changing yours, PM me and i'll have your part worn Ignotors off you if their still good :wink:

p.s. what psi you running in the tyres as I found that made a major difference, I'm 45 psi and find that a good compromise leaning towards road use

Don't want to hi jack the thread, no need to reply on here but how do you find the Juicy's? Always good to hear about experiences with the same marque.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • handful
    I've only had mine for around 4 weeks and have been out 3 times so far with all the cr@p weather :(

I started with too much air in the front and back, corrected the back but still a bit too much air in the front on the second. I think I got it about right on the third but was just thinking I was a bit disappointed with the ride before realising I'd left prop pedal on :oops:

Next time out I will try again and make a final judgement on the tyres, if I don't change my opinion I would willingly do a deal on them as they are like new, any help to fund a different pair would go some way to offset the earache I am likely to get :D

btw I'm a very similar weight to you and have now got 90 psi in the front, can't remember the shock pressure but set the sag to 25% as recommended. I currently have 50 psi in the tyres but was going to drop them a bit for the next ride, I kept them high due to road miles I have to do on my local loop. Juicy 3's are fine so far, better than the Tektro Aurigas on my old avalanche although I do need to adjust the levers as I sometimes crush my hand in between the lever and bar as they don't bite quickly enough. Can't fault them for stopping though.
    Orbea Rise
  • Squarepants
    Well if you do decide to replace the Ignitors I'll certainly have them off you.

Sounds like were just at the same stage with setting the bike up and getting used to it etc. I do find the Juicys ok, On a very fast downhill road section on Saturday (in the pouring rain) I really had to pull hard to get the thing to stop which didn't inspire confidence. I'm now looking at Avid Code's. I do like going OTT sometimes but have been advised that 185mm Juicy 3's will be all i'll ever need, but I fancy having big 'look at my big shiny discs' discs. My only reservation is that they will be too good, out performing other components like tyres and suspension. We'll see. I found running 50psi too much and although they were great on road as soon as hit the rough I could really feel they were too hard to cope, drop the pressure like you said, and see how they are then, I noticed a big difference. I will probably run 40psi on my next run (same route) to compare.

As for the pro pedal (I switch mine to the left as I sit on the bike to stiffen it up) I don't find it does that much, I can tell the difference, but barely. Next time I ride Cwmcarn i'll flick it and see if it makes a real world difference as I've been happy to leave in on on what I;ve ridden so far.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • handful
    Ok, mate no, problem, will let you know if I decide to get rid. I think you'll find a lot of difference flicking the pro pedal off (right) Floats like it should. Have you fitted a mud guard of any type on yours? I want something as I'm getting all kinds flicking in my face. Crud catcher not an option with cables so deciding between mucky nutz fender bender and Neogard. Do you have either?

Did you buy your's on the 20% off deal? Bargain bike at that price I reckon, well happy with mine so far. 8)
    Orbea Rise
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've got a front crudcatcher on my Idrive 5... I might have added a wee bit of foam rubber, can't remember, but it works fine...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Squarepants
    Yea i've got the crudcatcher on mine. Cables no problem as the rubber o rings are just fed under the cable and don't foul at all, I researched it and found that to be the best, go get yourself one. They don't stop 100% of spray and i've found the need for glasses too as riding in the rain on the weekend I could hardly see on fast decents.

I'll be interested to the pro pedal working properly...

Interesting story with the Halfords offer, I read about the bike originally on here, and someone commented that he'd got 20% off and I went into Halfords asking if I could have the same deal as I was looking to buy that weekend (don't askm you don't get) the guy (who was very knowledgable and helpful btw) advised that no it was an hyperweb only offer but that if the offer came around before I picked it up he'd honour it. So I put my deposit down (a whole £10) but luckily the 20% off GT bikes came around the day before I was due to pick it up :D result. All in all I spent about £890 with the bits I picked up at the same time.

Talking about mudguards I want a stumpy coming off the rear (haha) to stop my back getting wet, one of the boys has a Specialized Stumpjumper with it on, no sure if it will fit but will hoof it into place if it doesnt want to go, where can I get one of thoise as I can't seem to find one anywhere?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Northwind
    I'm thinking I might bodge something up out of an old front crudcatcher I have... Ideally I'd like to mount a mudguard onto the seat tube rather than the post, but the only guard I can think of that'll fit round the tube is a Topeak Defender and they look absolutely hellish, with their massive vice for a clamp :lol: So maybe not. I might cut and weld a couple of crudcatchers, see if I can make something that works.

On the front, I'd really recommend you give an SKS Shockboard a crack, they're superb... They work like other mudguards don't, and they're not even very big. Makes me wonder sometimes why we still fanny around with tube-mounted guards.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mud x's EVERYTIME. Run them on a fuel EX8 10 front and back...... best tyres i've ever owned. Hands down

(Unlike the stock tyres. My god, Trek, WHAT were you thinking. In Cali maybe. UK? No).

Ralph/nobby nic combo for the summer, if dryish.... man the ralphs roll fast :-)
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    God this issue is doing my head in :shock:

I am picking up my Trek 8000 with Bontrager XDX, 2.2's on this week and taking to Llandegla at the weekend.

I have been out of the scene for 10 years so totally in the dark as to what is good/proven. I work in motorsport where the correct rubber is a major major issue and have the same anxiety about my MTB tyre choice. I reckon I am going to end up with 3-4 tyres types in my collection :?

So on my bike in very wet packed down with lots of puddles what is a good choice?
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • handful
    Yea i've got the crudcatcher on mine. Cables no problem as the rubber o rings are just fed under the cable and don't foul at all, I researched it and found that to be the best, go get yourself one. They don't stop 100% of spray and i've found the need for glasses too as riding in the rain on the weekend I could hardly see on fast decents.

So I put my deposit down (a whole £10) but luckily the 20% off GT bikes came around the day before I was due to pick it up :D result. All in all I spent about £890 with the bits I picked up at the same time.

Thanks, may try a crudcatcher or the shockboard mentioned by Northwind. This is becoming the I-Drive thread :lol:

I paid £800 for mine as well but also on C2W so will cost me around £420 all told. Great bike for that money.
    Northwind wrote:
    On the front, I'd really recommend you give an SKS Shockboard a crack, they're superb... They work like other mudguards don't, and they're not even very big. Makes me wonder sometimes why we still fanny around with tube-mounted guards.

Thanks NW. Looks quite large in the pics on Wiggle. I will have a ponder and make a decision :? Still, not big money if I get it wrong. :)
    Orbea Rise
  • Northwind
    Here's one fitted...

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i264/ ... ommute.jpg

So not tiny, but it's about half the size of the THE mudguard, and still very effective. Narrower than a crudcatcher because it doesn't have to be wide since it tracks the wheel. Not for everyone but if you actually want a mudguard that works it's the best option I've found. If you care more about looks than about effectiveness than maybe not ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    DamonC wrote:
    God this issue is doing my head in :shock:

I am picking up my Trek 8000 with Bontrager XDX, 2.2's on this week and taking to Llandegla at the weekend.

I have been out of the scene for 10 years so totally in the dark as to what is good/proven. I work in motorsport where the correct rubber is a major major issue and have the same anxiety about my MTB tyre choice. I reckon I am going to end up with 3-4 tyres types in my collection :?

So on my bike in very wet packed down with lots of puddles what is a good choice?

yep i read an utter pile of reviews of tyres and in the end just went to crc and asked the guy who knew what to look for. he used Michelin Mountain All-Terrain only tho there was only one in stock.

so did a bit of compare and contrast with the Intense Tyre Systems System 4 XC C3 and went with the intense tyres. tyres are like saddles you have to choose and find out what ones suit your riding style.

you should at least talk to trustworthy guys/grrls at an lbs who know their mtb tyres. id recommend intense tho i would have gone for the michelin tyres had there been the 2nd tyre but the choice is yours & be calm about it :wink:
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    LOL

Yes I just need to get out there and enjoy myself.

Experience will bring the knowledge I need :)
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • Talking about mudguards I want a stumpy coming off the rear (haha) to stop my back getting wet, one of the boys has a Specialized Stumpjumper with it on, no sure if it will fit but will hoof it into place if it doesnt want to go, where can I get one of thoise as I can't seem to find one anywhere?

My local Evans have them... but can't find them on their website.
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • Squarepants
    Thanking you kindly :D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR