Tyre Choice.....Far too Many !!

wixer
wixer Posts: 10
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, I need a bit of help in choosing a set of tyres for my bike. It's a Trek Ex8 full suspension that I've had since July. It has Bontrager Jones XR tyres fitted but doing a lot of riding at Cannock Chase, I'm finding the tyres a bit slippy at the front end on Cannocks pebbley terrain. I spoke to guy today with the same bike and he had experienced the same issue with the Jones XR tyres, so much so, he'd changed them for some Maxiss. Unfortunately, I can't remember the model of the tyre he changed to. So what I'm after is some recommendations for alternative tyres. I've been looking at the reviews but there's so much to choose from. I'm not so much bothered by a tyre that maybe slower, I'd prefer more confidence in the turns.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Comments

• It isnt a myth about the XR tyres.

I had them on my bike, the front end washed out easily, to the point were I had a smash.

Had a play with some Maxxis high rollers yesterday at Sherwood pines. Conditions were quite gloopy in places and the high roller performed flawlessly, not even a whiff of slippage on the front.

I had the 26x2.35 super tacky version which is geared towards downhill stuff.

The problem I had with this was I had to put a lot more effort in on the climbs and flat sections due to the ridiculous amount of rolling resistance. However I was expecting this because of the compound. They were also the steel bead version, so quite heavy.

So all in all, you have to sacrifice one thing to gain another and finding that decent all-rounder is quite elusive. See my other threads regarding tyres,

Next, I will be testing some Bonty Mud x at the Altura and Northface trails.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Loads of good tyres, just stop worrying about getting the "best" as there's no such thing, and just get something which works for you. I really like my Nevegal/Excavator combo but I'm sure if I was willing to spend the time and money I could find something better, but these do exactly what I want them to do so why bother?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • wixer
    Northwind wrote:
    Loads of good tyres, just stop worrying about getting the "best" as there's no such thing, and just get something which works for you. I really like my Nevegal/Excavator combo but I'm sure if I was willing to spend the time and money I could find something better, but these do exactly what I want them to do so why bother?

I'm not after "the best", I was asking for people's opinions on other tyres and as you say, as soon as I find something that works for me, I'll probably stick with them.

I don't want to spend money on something that could be no better or worse, hence the reason for asking the question on the forum, to try and get some recommendations.
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    I, like trekex977, use high rollers - and find them flawless!
    Amazing tyres and I think I'll stick with them for the rest of my life!
  • Maxxis are the best tyres ive used!! Super tacky High Rollers pritty much all year round.

Im running a set of Specialized Chunders on my demo...kinda like a mix of the High Roller and Minion...working good but when there finished i'll be looking at maxxis again
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    I rin high rollers on my remedy. they are a great tyre. also had them on my fuel.
    They are available in different compounds and i got them from nextday tyres on the interweb.
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Swapped the Bonty XDX tyres that came with my Hifi very quickly, couldn't get over the feeling of the front about to let go on every corner. Maxxis Highrollers on now, 2.1 with the 62 compound, awesome.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • I've got highrollers on the Commie too. Starting to wear a bit now so I've just ordered a Muddy Mary for the front and an Al Mighty for the rear. They are more DH orientated tyres though, not entirely sure I'd want them on a trail bike. Think they go as low as 2.35 if you did want them though.
  • wixer
    Thanks for all the replies guys, think I'm gonna go for the Maxiss High Rollers. May just try one on the front to start with, see how I get on then try one on the rear.

Thanks again.
  • Can't go far wrong with High Rollers.

Next decision now is what width and compound to go for :lol:
  • Northwind
    Yep. Highrollers are ace. Kenda Nevegals are pretty similiar performance wise, slightly slower but slightly grippier when you compare like for like (IMO anyway). All good tyres.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I think Trek had dry buff singletrack in mind when speccing those tyres - work pretty well round here in Summer. Thinking of High Rollers or Nevegals for the return to the UK though.
  • Can't go far wrong with High Rollers.

Next decision now is what width and compound to go for :lol:

The decision only get harder :lol:
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • Anyone using the Super Tacky- compound (42a)? Thinking of this for the wet muddy winter... any advice?

Regards

Ratty
  • Dai_w
    Dai_w Posts: 2
    I too have an ex8 (07) with Bontrager Jones XR tyres (running tubeless). I have never liked them but I've been too useless to change them, but last week in the rain at Cannock enough was enough. They seriously reduced my fun and I'm usually not the type to blame my gear (honestly!). I was losing the front like I was on ice, and the rear was terrible too. I met an old timer half way around who was asking for a shortcut back, why? because he was crapping himself. the reason? Bontrager Jones XR tyres on his bike! That was the final straw for me.
    So I've been reading reviews and asking for advice to change the tyres. At first I was going to go for a Kenda blue groove front and kenda nevagal rear as I'd read reasonable reviews. But then a mate who knows his onions (used to design MTBs for Giant in the states and race XC, now rides regularly in the Peak District) suggested Bontrager Mud-x. By now I hated my Bontrager tyres so much I nearly choked when he suggested them. But when I did some research, UK people REALLY rate them. So I'm going with those, you can get them for £24 each so good value too. While they are called Mud, they actually are a good alround tyre according to all the positive reviews I've seen. If you do a search along the lines of 'Bontrager Mud-x reviews Cannock' you tend to get to read the opinions of people from the UK, which is far more relevant than a 13 year old from Texas!
    I'll be running them tubeless as I did with the Jones XR, but with a lot more success hopefully.
  • wixer
    Dai_w wrote:
    I too have an ex8 (07) with Bontrager Jones XR tyres (running tubeless). I have never liked them but I've been too useless to change them, but last week in the rain at Cannock enough was enough. They seriously reduced my fun and I'm usually not the type to blame my gear (honestly!). I was losing the front like I was on ice, and the rear was terrible too. I met an old timer half way around who was asking for a shortcut back, why? because he was crapping himself. the reason? Bontrager Jones XR tyres on his bike! That was the final straw for me.
    So I've been reading reviews and asking for advice to change the tyres. At first I was going to go for a Kenda blue groove front and kenda nevagal rear as I'd read reasonable reviews. But then a mate who knows his onions (used to design MTBs for Giant in the states and race XC, now rides regularly in the Peak District) suggested Bontrager Mud-x. By now I hated my Bontrager tyres so much I nearly choked when he suggested them. But when I did some research, UK people REALLY rate them. So I'm going with those, you can get them for £24 each so good value too. While they are called Mud, they actually are a good alround tyre according to all the positive reviews I've seen. If you do a search along the lines of 'Bontrager Mud-x reviews Cannock' you tend to get to read the opinions of people from the UK, which is far more relevant than a 13 year old from Texas!
    I'll be running them tubeless as I did with the Jones XR, but with a lot more success hopefully.

Be intersting to hear how you get on with them. It was another tyre I considered.
  • Just put 2 mud x's front and back (2.0) ready for the lakes from saturday to next friday.

The weather doesnt look to good from the weekend so my bike is ready for the gunk.

By the way 45 quid for 2 from Triton cycles.
  • I would also go with high rollers :wink:
  • GT-Dave
    GT-Dave Posts: 1,441
    Replaced mine with Maxxis Ardents, which are real good.
    Now it's getting muddy, the Bonty Mud-X are going on.
    Also from Triton Cycles who are my local bike shop & you get superb service from them! :D
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    2.10 excavator dtc back 2.20 telonix dtc up front, all the grip i need and then some, if i want speed i just use my nobby nics.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • wixer
    Bit of an update on my tyres. I'm by no means an expert rider but here are my findings. I tried out a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 on the front wheel yesterday at Cannock. A mate has some spare tyres kicking around so he bought them for me to try. Well the difference was quite amazing, much better grip at the front, hardly any slipping. It did highlight then how bad the Jones XR was for rear grip, so after one lap we changed the tyres to a pair of Conti Verticals 2.3. These tyres being a bit wider made the front slightly better and the grip at the rear was significantly improved. I had a chat with one of the lads in Swinnertons about tyres and he said the most popular tyre around Cannock was the Panaracer XC Pro. I'm still gonna go for the Maxiss High Rollers though.
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    I swapped the standard bonty tyres on my 09 trek ex8 to the mud x's and found them a 100 times better!
    Had a day out at gisburn yesterday and kept pedalling when others were pushing on some moist sections :lol:
    The only time they have come unstuck was at whinlatter on the shiny wet slate where all tyres would of struggled.
    Does anybody use the mud x's all year round as im struggling to find a reason to swap em when it drys up next year!
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    i have the ignitors and have been fine down at cannock, been used in all conditions including sundays wettness, was a bit worried at first over the big shinny peables but was fine, still had confidence in them to do the skinny boardwalk
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    Anyone know who's got a good supply of 2.3 High Rollers.....preferably the 60 compound???
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • Dai_w
    Dai_w Posts: 2
    After 2 weeks of waiting and listening to lies from JE James cycles, I cancelled my Mud-X order from them and reordered from All terrain cycles who got them to me the next day.

I set them up tubeless at 30psi and today (which was easy) went out in the slimey mud in my local forest.
    Traction is great, I can now climb muddy ascents with no problem at all. I had to walk these same ascents previously (my dog was confused by this).
    They didn't clog up, they seemed to grip roots well and cornering was much better than before. Occassionally the front was a bit twitcy cornering at speed in the mud but I guess thats to be expected. although I wouldn't mind trying a Kenda Blue Groove on the front as I've read thats a good combo (but with greater rolling resistance).
    Anyway, the ability to climb wet slimy mud with these tyres is simply fantastic, compared to my stock tyres, its like having a completely new hobby. The winter won't stop me riding this year.

I'm very happy with Mud X 2.0's so far, going to Cannock chase soon so I hope they perform as well there. The reviews I've read related to cannock have all been positive.

Does anyone else use the Blue Groove Front and Mud x Rear?
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    i ride lods of dh, and i change my tires all the time, got minions highrolllers and swampthings. i change my tires depending on where i am riding and what i am riding. but i would go with maxxis as a start. :)
  • Northwind
    ramemtbers wrote:
    but i would go with maxxis as a start. :)

Just as long as it's not a Larssen :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I recently tried Continental Verticals on my Commencal Rigid , rode through thick shit with no loss of traction, fine over gravel but lethal on road, like riding on ice, excellent off road (but aint that what a mtb is for)?
  • Just an update on the Mud X's

Got back from the lake district a week ago.

The rain for the 6 days I was there was relentless, Only got to do the Northface trail at Grizedale and the north/south red loops at Whinlatter. Oh and the blue run at Whinlatter is awesome fun as well.

Anyway the trails were not muddy at all but really wet and rocky. The mud x's were confidence inspiring in all conditions apart from the really wet, gripless Northshore stuff at Grizedale. I doubt any tyre would perform here though.

In the small muddy sections, big puddles, wet rocky/loose gravel and rooty sections the mud x's grip well. The narrow 2.0 also help in any boggy stuff. The tyres roll pretty well even on the road.

All in all, a very capable tyre and I would them recommend for the winter. I feel that these tyres still had a lot more to give and I know they will perform in really muddy boggy trails. Will report on that later.....

Only 500grams for the weight weenies, cant be bad.
  • wixer
    Bit of an update on my tyres. Got some Highrollers, 2.35 wide in the 60 compound. Tried them last week around the Llandegla trail. Found them a little too hard going for my liking but excellent grip and probably better suited to some softer terrain. While in the their shop, I bought some more Highrollers, 2.1 wide this time but still in the 60 compound. Took them around Cannock yesterday and they're much better for my style of riding, having less drag than the 2.35's.

So if anyone's interested I have a pair of 2.35's for sale.

Cheers