A Supreme Commie

2»

Comments

• It's a DH rig, although dont see why you couldnt do a bit of FR on it
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    ...... buy new DOT fluid as it's not advised to used Fluid where the bottle has been opened for any length of time.

oh really? I'd not heard this. Thanks for letting me know.

Do you know what a "length of time" may be? This has been open for about 5 months I think. Sealed inside a resealable plastic bag.

Not sure to be honest, something to do with it absorbing air so probably be ok if it's been in a sealed bag - can't remeber where I read now,
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Described by Commencal as a Mini-DH bike.
    Like DH Diet, same great taste but with less than half the fat.

I get confused with all the different labels they feel the need to apply to bikes today.
  • Right, well, bike has now been seen to. Brakes are on top form.

One advantage of taking ti to the LBS was that the mechanic spotted this on the rear brake which I had actually managed to miss.

The rear brake setup has been botched by the previous owner.

It's a 203mm rotor, but the caliper has been mounted on a mount for a 180mm rotor and spacers have been used to raise the caliper so it fits. :shock:
    Obviously, this is causing the pads to wear unevenly, and is putting extra stress on the mounting bolts. Couple this to the fact I'm a fairly heavy guy and they need changing sooner rather than later.
    Unfortunately, the shop didnt have any 203mm mounts in, so I've just ordered one and I'll just go easy on the brakes until it arrives.

Pic cos it did happen :D

30102010002.jpg
  • MacAndCheese
    Nice bodge :) I thought Shimano brakes used mineral oil and not DOT fluid?
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • They do. It was the front brake he was bleeding for me (Hope)
  • MacAndCheese
    Ah yes, being an retard, sorry! bet you can't wait to give that a blast now the brakes are almost sorted! going to be awesome!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    should have asked me for the 203mm mount, I've got one right here on my desk!

Oh, an dhow does that make the pads wear unevenly? :?:
  • I think it has something to do with the spacers not putting the caliper in exactly the right place on the rotor. Not sure though to be honest, it's just what the shop mechanic told me. The main thing for me was the extra stress on the bolts.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hell yeah, the stress on the bolts is not something I'd like to test, but I wasn't sure how it would cause uneven wear.
  • Update:

Went for a proper ride on Sunday. Brakes are now spot on, unfortunately though, the weather wasnt. 40mph winds and some of the heaviest rainfall so far this year kind of spoiled it a little and I had to cut it short.
    As my new tyres still havent arrived (see below) it meant I was trying to ride on the DMR Moto Digger and the high roller, which with the soggy ground, was akin to riding on sheet ice :shock:

Unfortunately, the new bars I ordered off Ebay on the 20th still have not been shipped. The guy fed me some excuse about how he did ship them, but RM returned them for being too big so he was going to re-send them by Parcelforce of Thurs. Since then, he has dropped off the face of the earth and is not responding to me many email requests asking him to provide a tracing #. He has until 5pm today to provide said # before I report him to PayPal and Ebay.

Wiggle still have no stock of the grips I ordered, despite their site saying stock was expected end of Oct. They can't say when they are expecting to receive stock either.

My new Tyres still havent been shipped either. First they were being shipped on Weds, then Fri, then Today. Awaiting tracking #.

Oh, and the goggles still havent turned up either. Another purchase off Ebay, ststus updated to shipped on 22nd, still no sign of them. No replies to multiple emails. Again, have today requested confirmation of shipping before I report to ebay, paypal etc.
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    your no having much with your purchases via fleBay!

hope it all pans out and you get some valuable riding time on your trustee steed
    Update:

Went for a proper ride on Sunday. Brakes are now spot on, unfortunately though, the weather wasnt. 40mph winds and some of the heaviest rainfall so far this year kind of spoiled it a little and I had to cut it short.
    As my new tyres still havent arrived (see below) it meant I was trying to ride on the DMR Moto Digger and the high roller, which with the soggy ground, was akin to riding on sheet ice :shock:

Unfortunately, the new bars I ordered off Ebay on the 20th still have not been shipped. The guy fed me some excuse about how he did ship them, but RM returned them for being too big so he was going to re-send them by Parcelforce of Thurs. Since then, he has dropped off the face of the earth and is not responding to me many email requests asking him to provide a tracing #. He has until 5pm today to provide said # before I report him to PayPal and Ebay.

Wiggle still have no stock of the grips I ordered, despite their site saying stock was expected end of Oct. They can't say when they are expecting to receive stock either.

My new Tyres still havent been shipped either. First they were being shipped on Weds, then Fri, then Today. Awaiting tracking #.

Oh, and the goggles still havent turned up either. Another purchase off Ebay, ststus updated to shipped on 22nd, still no sign of them. No replies to multiple emails. Again, have today requested confirmation of shipping before I report to ebay, paypal etc.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    cool good to see your out riding it and moto digger and high roller was a better combo than what my mate ran on sunday which was moto digger rear holy roller front :shock: needless to say he ate shit a few times :lol:

oh and CWNT i get my new rig on thursday :D Cant wait

getting a scott nitrous

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Very good. Slopestyle bike isnt it?

Look forward to seeing it coming to a photo challenge near you soon.

Will this be your 1st bouncey bike?

Further update:

Guy selling the bars has now been reported to Ebay. More than 2 weeks on, still not posted and he's stopped replying to me emails FUKCING CNUT! Ebay seller "foxy2909" AVOID!

Refund now requested on tyres, same storey there, week and a half on they've still not been shipped.
  • Hercule Q
    yeah this will be my 1st full bouncer, cant wait :D

pinkbike
  • Some long awaited Action shots

Absolutely perfect weather for it today. Cloudless blue sky, slight breeze, ground stillnice and muddy from all the rain we've been having. Managed to get some video on my camera phone, but seem to be having problems editing it before I post it up.Something about it being in MP4 format or something. Took some snapshots from said footage, and here they are.

snapshot3.jpg
    snapshot.jpg

And a non-action shot

08112010010.jpg

Fugly Barsteward!

08112010004.jpg

The bike descends like a dream, just feels so planted and stable.

Still waiting for my new tyres, bars, goggles and grips though :roll:
  • Ok, after a MASSIVE wait, my bars arrived this morning. Had a nightmare switching everything over from the old diablous bars as one of the bolts on the peaty grips has been rounded (not by me).
    Anyway, sorted it in the end and got the new stuff added. For now, I have used some old generic lock on grips in grey with black ends. I am expecting some black grips with orange ends from Wiggle then the new stock arrives.
    Some pics, best I could manage at midnight in the garage I'm afraid.

09112009002.jpg

09112009001.jpg

09112009.jpg

09112009003.jpg

I must admit, when Ifirst fitted it, I did NOT like that stem. But I have to say, it's growing on me.

Might get some Wellgo MG1s in orange and replace the red seat-clamp with something a bit more matching. But I've got some other, non-tarty upgrades I want first.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Nice colours, though that stem has yet to grow on me...

Still, think 2nd hand bikes are the way forward, especially now everything is so expensive.

Are we going to see any more upgrades?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Hercule Q
    :shock: how big is that stem!!!

pinkbike
  • Yeh, that stem is mahoosive, and very square. Whilst it is growing on me, i'm still not 100% on it, it might be replaced yet, but if so, it'll be the very last thing I do now.

Upgrades wise, I'm thinking that long term I'm going to look at some better forks. Maybe Van 36s or similar. Upgraded shock, More Fox, possibly DHX-5. Hubs are ok but I might get some better rims at some point. Not sure yet, I may even go all-out and splash out on some Deemax. I'd also quite like the gearing upgraded from X-7 mech and X-9 shifter to X-0 all round.
    Obviously, this is all going to cost money. LOTS of it, so it will be done very gradually.
  • New tyres fitted, say hello to:

Muddy Mary (2.5)
    12112009006.jpg

and

Al mighty (2.35)
    12112009005.jpg

Mary is a BIG lass though, uses up pretty much ALL the clearance on the 66RCs
    12112009004.jpg
  • I have just bought a 12mm bolt through axle conversion for the rear hub. Seemed like the most practical upgrade at this point, and something recommended by most Commencal owners. Cost a grand total of £35, which imo is money very well spent.

Pics from yesterdays ride. Just a local plantation where some short "improvised" DH tracks have been cut. It's only 30 mins ride from my front door. Most enjoyable.

20112009004.jpg

20112009005.jpg

I think I'm going to leave it alone now, just change bits as I break them. I could do to use my spare cash on collecting bits for my other, "Top Secret" build now.

Got my first ever uplift day booked for next Sunday which I am REALLY looking forward to :D