Sir Steve Redgraves Top 5 Athletes

Comments

• if Sonic can have John Daley then I'm having Colin Montgomery, no one can say that the former Europen No.1 for ten years running is not a finely honed athlete
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My list was a little tongue in cheek ;-)

But to be serious, my list would be:

Roman Šebrle - decathlon world record holder.
    Miguel Induarain - incredible physical stats.
    Haile Gebrselassie - astonishing record.
    Michael Schumacher - showed the rest that supreme physical fitness does matter in this sport
    Pete Sampras.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    Daz555 wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:
    I'm not super hot on my Moto GP info, but F1 drivers are some of the very fittest athletes in the world, even though they have a built in drinks dispenser in their cars they lose 3-5Kgs of body weight in a1.5 to 2 hour race.
    They are fit compared to the man in the street, but not even remotely so in comparison to elite athletes.

Point of illustration is Buttons excellent time of 2hrs 7 mins for the London Triathlon (Olympic distance) in August. However, elite athletes are 20 minutes quicker.

few years back at a sport/fitness test clinic in europe, a little known driver called alain prost, was the fittest athlete on their books, had around 1200 people there too

was in a fitness mag, cannot remember how they dicided it tho, but it was all explained
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    Any of them people who do ironman triathlon! Mega fit

Dani Pedrosa and Mark Webber both road ride a a pretty high standard

Wouldn't could golfers as athletes, if you do then so are dart player because they throw with such accuracy etc...

Bring back superstars to find out!
  • lesz42
    megan fox

kelly brooke

both fit too
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Lesz42, outstanding choices mate.

Glad to see a couple of lads chose Miguel Indurain, my all time hero. In no order:

Miguel Indurain
    Michael Schumacher
    Jan Ullrich (won the tour de france the 2nd time he entered it at the age of 23?, i just wish he stayed away from the puddings over winter and lived up to his ability, even Lance said he was the most naturally gifted cyclist in the world)
    Stefan Bellof (for the commitment he must of shown for his record lap at the Nordschleife)
    Haile Gebrselassie (until you run a marathon, you'll never comprehend how fast pro's run)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    P-Jay wrote:
    Not sure if it's your bag, but a Moto GP rider called Casey Stonner was in the title race this year, caught a mystery bug, doctors just couldn't work it out, but gave him Iron deficency, he had to pull out for 3 races (about 6 weeks) of total rest to get back ft enough to ride.

Moto GP is incredibly physical - they're not big guys, but they're throwing a 240bhp, 150kg bike around a track for 70 miles. Rossi would definitely be on my list, as much for his personality as his brilliance on the track.

In no particular order (and limited to my own experience):

Valentino Rossi
    Muhammed Ali - Probably the ultimate sporting icon
    Lance Armstrong - Got to have a cyclist in there
    Zinedine Zidane - The greatest player of his generation
    Kelly Slater - 9 times world surfing champ.
  • supersonic
    Mmm Bubble wrote:
    Lesz42, outstanding choices mate.

Glad to see a couple of lads chose Miguel Indurain, my all time hero. In no order:

Miguel Indurain
    Michael Schumacher
    Jan Ullrich (won the tour de france the 2nd time he entered it at the age of 23?, i just wish he stayed away from the puddings over winter and lived up to his ability, even Lance said he was the most naturally gifted cyclist in the world)
    Stefan Bellof (for the commitment he must of shown for his record lap at the Nordschleife)
    Haile Gebrselassie (until you run a marathon, you'll never comprehend how fast pro's run)

Haile is just a machine (and no disrepsect meant!). Knocking out 4:40 miles, for 26 miles is just astounding. Probably will be the greatest athlete we'll ever see. Tergat too.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Mmm Bubble wrote:
    That guy is awesome. One of the sports all-time greats.

What is incredible however is that his successor and fellow countryman Kenenisa Bekele is probably even better - certainly over 10,000m. Be interesting to see if he moves to the longer distance when he gets older.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    supersonic wrote:
    Mmm Bubble wrote:
    Lesz42, outstanding choices mate.

Miguel Indurain
    Michael Schumacher

Haile is just a machine (and no disrepsect meant!). Knocking out 4:40 miles, for 26 miles is just astounding. Probably will be the greatest athlete we'll ever see. Tergat too.
    i was going to put Gebrselassie in my top 5 but couldn't spell his name so i put kip keino in instead
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    does anyone else agree that bruce lee is the best athlete of all time?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    rhyko7 wrote:

If the stories are true, he was one of the fittest men who ever live.

Tell me if Im wrong, but (according to the briliant film Dragon, which I saw 5 years ago) he never actually participated in any sport?

He was a Martial Arts instructor, Martial Arts Inventor and Actor. But I don't know of him competing.

Whilst we can argue which sports are done by Athlets and which are done by sports people, you do actully have to do a sport competitivly surley?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    edited October 2009
    In no order:

1 - Lance Armstrong - just an inspiration, showing that you can pretty much overcome anything
    2 - Muhammad Ali - that man was a powerhouse, entertainer and all round showman, as well as an amazing athlete
    3 - Steve Peat - shows that no matter what your age, you're never too old to launch yourself down a hill, and still pick up titles.
    4 - Fedor Emelianenko - MMA record of 30 wins, 1 loss (by illegal elbow, must add) - a true mentalist, passionate beyond belief and just, well, mental.
    5 - Can't pick a fifth.. theres too many.. Bolt, Gebreselassie, Rossi, Tyson, Lomu, Best, Pele, Phelps, Ian 'Thorpedo' Thorpe, I could go on.. all have their qualities that make me look up to them.

However, a special mention to Eric Moussambani too.. what a legend! :lol:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moussambani
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Is it just me or was the orginal question 'Whats your top five ATHLETES?' Not whats your top five sportsmen in an athletical body abusing sport?

Tiger Woods IS an athlete and so is every top teir driver in MotoGP or EfWun!

Anyway... and in no particular order.

Tiger Woods
    Valy Rossi
    Michael Jordan
    Michael Schumacher
    Lance Armstrong
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    rhyko7 wrote:
    We have no basis for comparison as he did not compete (to my knowledge).
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd have peter haining in there, 3 time lightweight rowing world champion, carried a boat up a mountain. Lovely guy but completely psychotic.

not sure who else i'd include.

Dean Karnazes

Obree for his first attempt for the hour then doing it again the next day

bolt

Phelps possibly
  • Joss Naylor (legend among fell runners)
    Seb Coe (even though I dislike the guy)
    Steve Redgrave (he's a rower tha knows)
    Paula Radcliffe (her marathon world best was amazing)
    Desert Orchid (I like a good jumper)
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Can I add Guy Martin?

Amazing TT racer, awesome DH'r and fastest talking man on earth.
  • rhyko7
    P-Jay wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:

If the stories are true, he was one of the fittest men who ever live.

Tell me if Im wrong, but (according to the briliant film Dragon, which I saw 5 years ago) he never actually participated in any sport?

He was a Martial Arts instructor, Martial Arts Inventor and Actor. But I don't know of him competing.

Whilst we can argue which sports are done by Athlets and which are done by sports people, you do actully have to do a sport competitivly surley?

the last tournemant he took part in-he made an anouncement and said he could beat any man in 30 seconds-and guess what he did!
    he was so far ahead of everyone else contests were a waste of his time

my riding:

• Damn, Guy Martin was going to be in mine! :evil:

Ok:

Valentino Rossi (God)
    Steve Prefontaine (runner)
    Allan Wells (sprinter)
    Chris Hoy (legend)
    Kevin "Crunchie" McAllister (footy hero)
  • Big up all the people that said Daley Thompson - watching the 1984 Olympics is one of my ealiest and best sporting memories.

I also thought Lloyd Hunnigan was a heck of an athlete.

Hard to argue with Lance Armstrong and Muhammed Ali.

And even though he was a bit of a dong, Carl Lewis was amazing in his prime.

If I can have a sixth, Yelena Isinbayeva is a fine specimen.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • lesz42
    megan fox
  • rhyko7
    how bout rocky Balboa lol?

seriously though in boxing why does Rocky marciano always get over looked, he is the only ever undefeated heavyweight

my riding:

• deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    My choices,

Tiger Woods
    Lance Armstrong
    Michael Johnson
    Sir Redgrave
    Carl Lewis

and my reserve would be Phil 'the Power' Taylor
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • 1.Roberto Duran
    2.Bernard Hinault
    3.Randy Couture
    4.Lance Armstrong
    5.Ali

6. My dad
  • supersonic
    Didn't Carl Lewis take drugs?
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    It's quite scary how many people put Schumacher.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • He's a bit of a big nosed legend with a fashion bypass, but a legend nonetheless.