Shaving legs: Poll.

2»

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I started this season to shave my legs and have never regretted it. Being a skinny runt having hairy legs and lycra just looked plain stupid. Mind you it was a pain in the ass to shave every few days.

Just use a cheap razor and soap while having a bath, shaving foam/gel is a waste and causes more cuts.

Now winter is here I will stay hairy, unless a bit of fun is on the cards :wink:

May try waxing next year. Just got to pluck up the courage to find a salon etc that will do it
  • razor. all year round. (why go hairy in winter?)
    I thoroughly recommend the 'beard like a rhododendron, silky smooth legs' look.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

Quite so. THere are 2 reasons roadies shave their legs. The first is identified above, the 2nd is that Lycra shorts and hairy legs look silly.

which is why rowers shave
  • will3 wrote:

Quite so. THere are 2 reasons roadies shave their legs. The first is identified above, the 2nd is that Lycra shorts and hairy legs look silly.

Do they?? I've rowed with hundreds of blokes at three different clubs and don't think I ever met one who shaved their legs; a lot of the ladies didn't seem to bother half the time either!* I don't bother myself, due to sheer laziness and the fact that I look great anyway.

*[pc mode] not that there's anything wrong with that [/pc mode]
  • will3
    nasahapley wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Do they??

No they don't. They do however wear lycra.

Its fashion

That is all.
  • when I was a rower I knew quite a lot of rowers who shaved their legs.
    They were all cyclists too, mind.
  • will3
    when I was a rower I knew quite a lot of rowers who shaved their legs.
    They were all cyclists too, mind.
    When I was a rower I used to make a habit of befriending the ones who shaved their legs.

They were all ladies, mind :lol:
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Aggieboy wrote:
    sex is more fun with two pairs of shaved legs...

Especially if neither of them is yours.

Quote of the week!
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I have waxed in the past - more recently haven't bothered. The biggest problem was that I'm naturally very hairy. This menas I do look damn silly wearing lycra shorts - but even more so when my "fur shorts" were visible. I made the mistake of waxing to just above cycling shorts level, with the reuslt that when I wore regular shorts to a barbeque and they rode up as I sat down I had a strip of fur showing. Not a good look.
  • But doesn't everyone look silly wearing lycra shorts, shaved or not ?
  • will3
    But doesn't everyone look silly wearing lycra shorts, shaved or not ?

Have you seen the ladies in lycra thread?
  • Homo - unless you're a top level racer who wants to eek negledgable % performance out. Or a gorilla...
  • But doesn't everyone look silly wearing lycra shorts, shaved or not ?

Now come on, as any fule kno women go weak at the knees at the sight of a pair of shaved male legs, and pretty soon after going hair-free you'll be doing so much horizontal jogging that you may as well sell your bike - you won't have time to ride it. At least that's the impression I get from various cycling forums; I still think that yes, you do look a bit silly anyway :wink:
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    A friend of mine, an ex international racing cyclist and coach, also did sports massage. She says that massaging shaved legs is definitely a lot easier and more effective. She hated doing hairy runners legs.

I think another advantage is that it makes sticking plaster removal a lot less traumatic. I shaved a few times when I was half-heartedly racing but I certainly don't bother now. Heck, I don't even shave my chin :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Last time this subject was kicking around I did a big post about it.....here's the shortened version:

Men (namely cyclists) have been shaving their legs longer than women! Right back at the beginning of Tour de France cyclists were shaving their legs, it wasn't until around the 50's that women started shaving their underarms due to an ad campaign that had women with shaved underarms..... women shaving their legs didn't follow for a few years after that!