RPCC Ride Sat 24th / Sun 25th October

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Alright folks, long time no see! Feels like the first RPCC thread that I've started myself in flippin' ages! :lol:

Given that the weather is looking a bit flaky for Saturday and that there's a few of us on the source on Friday night for Mrs. Myk-ee's birthday bash I'm opting to line up a Sunday run out this weekend, and being one who favours a later start I'm also thinking about making it a 10am kick off. I'm also thinking a decent length spin is in order as I can't remember the last time I broke the 100k barrier let alone anything approaching 100 miles! It'd be good to get a steady 150-180k+ in the legs, and for me it doesn't *need* to be at a hectic pace (although I won't rule it out completely!).

I've added a poll so that we have an idea of who might be riding and when - stake your claim, but some company on Sunday would be highly appreciated as I hate riding solo these days! :oops:

So, for those of you coming to join us, usual meet & ride plan: 
    :arrow: 9am start on Saturday is most likely,
although keep an eye out as different start times seem to be happening now and Sunday might be favoured by some
 :arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
 :arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped (unless a 'hoonfest' is on the cards - see note * below) :arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-30mins) 
I say it every week, but it remains true so I won't stop: As ever we'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! 8)

It would also be good to see some of the faces we have seen over the past months re-appear too - not sure where they've all gone or if they've stopped watching these threads due to the emergence of the hoonfest, but hopefully some of you might venture out again this weekend, if not sometime soon...? :?

A collection point at Hampton Court can be arranged as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you need to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out. 

So, who is about this weekend? :shock: 8) :D

* Please note that faster rides (affectionately referred to as 'hoonfests') have been heading out of late where the average speed is upped to around 32-35kph / 20-22mph over 80km / 50 miles - where this is the case it will be announced as a faster ride, but please be aware that if you get dropped you may not find anyone waiting for you (although you should find a chance to re-group on Box Hill). These rides usually head out on a Sunday and usually follow the same route each time so if you want to have a go please register your interest and make sure you get a route download from someone. Thanks. (note that the 'normal pace' ride often still goes out on the same weekend so that option should still be available to you)

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Hi - long time no see, hope everyone's well and enjoying their bikes.

I'm up for this. Shock horror. And it will probably be the last foray into Surrey of the year as well, so would be up for a pint or two afterwards if anyone fancies it :-) Any excuse for me...
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:
    would be up for a pint or two afterwards if anyone fancies it :-) Any excuse for me...
    Could become an impromptu 'falling leaves' ride then... :D
  • london-red
    Yeah, that could work pretty well - although this thread's gone a bit quiet of late. Is that due to trips away or the cold weather? How's everyone performing by the way? I've got no idea of my fitness having not done any measurable riding since late July...

Saying that, the commuting continues so it'll be great to see if I can keep up with you all.
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:
    this thread's gone a bit quiet of late. Is that due to trips away or the cold weather?
    Not cold weather - that wouldn't stop us! :twisted: (well, except maybe Phipsy cos he turns blue at the mere mention of cold! :wink::lol: )

I think it's a combination of club events, races, other sportives, travel and prior engagements that have made it a little quiet in here of late. There's already talk of very regular, steady, long winter base miles though, so it'll be situation normal ASAP I'm sure - albeit interspersed with some Hillingdon Winter Series action through Dec & Jan 8)
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    London-Red wrote:
    although this thread's gone a bit quiet of late.

I'm still here, only "in spirit." Hope you have a good one guys. I'll represent RPCC by ripping it up on the roads in Cardiff this weekend :lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • Rich-Ti
    Madone James?? Have you sold out to a big corporate bike co too?! :lol:
  • voxegam
    Lol, I guess I sort of have....it wasn't really planned for a long time.....more someone I knew here in Cardiff was selling it at a really good price. Plus it is actually pretty sexual. You'll see what I mean....I'll get a pic up sometime soon :lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Rich-Ti
    voxegam wrote:
    You'll see what I mean....
    It's a Trek - I'll never see what you mean :wink::lol:
  • voxegam
    Ooooooohhhhh.....that hurt deep.....you may change your tune when you constantly see the back of it blast off into the distance come summer :wink:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Rich-Ti
    edited October 2009
    voxegam wrote:
    you may change your tune when you constantly see the back of it blast off into the distance come summer :wink:
    It's a Trek - I will never change my tune... :wink::lol: :P
  • voxegam
    Ok ok.....I get it Mr. Cannondale :lol::wink:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Rich-Ti
    voxegam wrote:
    Ok ok.....I get it Mr. Cannondale.
    Or Crack'n'fail, as they're affectionately known :D

I know, I've sold out too - and I'm not proud of it... but they've made me more comfortable on the bike and they look alright and go pretty well so what the hell :P

Anyway, back to organising a bike ride... :roll: :wink:
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    I am going to struggle to get out of bed Saturday after the shenanigans of Friday evening, and will aim for a Dynamo park run no matter how much it will hurt as Sunday is a no-go for me. Mrs Berns is playing in a company touch-egg chaser tournament and I have to go...I mean I would love to go and watch and support :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    Is it just me & Dave then? :shock:

Al, Wilf, James? Are you there? Will you be coming along? Anyone else?... Anyone?... :(:lol:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Is it just me & Dave then? :shock:
    Al, Wilf, James? Are you there? Will you be coming along? Anyone else?...]Anyone?... [/]:( :lol:

Box Hill Mountain :lol::wink:

brokeback_mountain.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • london-red
    Except with a healthy dose of lycra thrown in for good measure :lol:
  • gniz80
    gniz80 Posts: 25
    I may do the Sunday ride guys but I've got a family commitment at 3pm. The late start and the longer distance may just not work, with me that is. Summing up, you could see me on Sunday ride but if so I may have to peel off somewhere along the way to make my way back to RP by 1pm the latest.

The weather looks set for rain tomorrow so I dont even know If ill ride at all.

I may just spend the morning wondering what the two of you would be getting up to alone, on top of that mountain... :wink::wink:
  • Rich-Ti
    Hell if no-one else is joining us then I plan to enjoy that beer Dave! 8)
  • london-red
    Too right...

By the way, are you still looking for a 10am start? We gain an extra hour don't we, so a 9am start is effectively a 10am start. I think. (You'd think that after 34 years I'd have finally worked out how the clocks going back - or forwards - actually works...)

Anyhow, bring it on.
  • Rich-Ti
    I could do 9am I s'pose - no reason not to.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    A Menchovesque spill on a drain cover means I'll taking it easy on Saturday. I'll be shopping for a new helmet as well. The worst thing is my bowling ability has been seriously hindered :shock:
    Sunday, if anything, will be a club run.
  • Rich-Ti
    Got a spare black medium-sized Giro Monza if you want it Al - safe & clean as long as you wash the pads! :lol:
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I'm up for the ride on Sunday. Favouring this 10am start over the 9am for LD ride.
  • london-red
    Okay, let me get this right - we have two votes for Sunday, two for Saturday. THose for Sunday are:

Dave
    Rich
    dawebbo
    Art? (Do we count as a club run?)

Of those wanting to ride Sunday, I think a 10am start is winning by 2-1...

Saturday fans, I don't know about. Any more for any more?

Is that about right?
  • Rich-Ti
    Art (Al) will be off with Paragon (his 'proper' club) on Sun, not with us :roll: :lol:
  • london-red
    Apologies al - it's been so long I'm forgetting names...

Paragon? What a crazy idea - they're South East. Definitely the wrong side of London :D
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:
    Paragon? What a crazy idea - they're South East. Definitely the wrong side of London :D
    I know :roll:

But from what Al says we should head out that way for a ride sometime - apparently there's a few killer hills that the Paragon folk ride which I like the sound of...
  • london-red
    I've experienced one or two of those first hand - actually having to get off the steed at one point. Saying that, I had to get off on Leith on one occasion, so I'm not much of a benchmark :oops:

So what's the plan for Sunday? Gentle run or crazy hoonfest?
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:
    So what's the plan for Sunday? Gentle run or crazy hoonfest?
    Somewhere inbetween I reckon - I have a route in mind, but it depends whether I actually manage to get it loaded into my Garmin in time (I'm entirely capable, just that I have to convert it from .rtf format so I need to see how that works!). Otherwise I have some exploratory options we can play with... :wink: