Ammonia smell after 2 hour ride?

FHKJ
FHKJ Posts: 151
I might easily be going mad, but Sunday and today I have got back from 2 hour rides to distinctly smell ammonia in my nose. Not in my sweat, just in my nose...

I have only been training for a month, so obviously my body is getting used to exercise in the first place, but the smell is a bit odd, even if it vanishes after a few minutes of recovery...

Any ideas??

Thanks, Francis

Comments

• FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • FHKJ
    I love Google, me, but that link simply provides more questions and no real answers!

According to that piece it might be my kidneys, but it might not... I suspect it isn't but would love to know what it IS!

Thanks for looking though!

Francis
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to get this when I first started training in general.

Wasn't drinking enough.

Hadn't had enough carbs.

I drink plenty now and am careful with energy intake. I often used to train on a distinct lack of carbs a la Fatkins diet. Fail.

I don't get it any more.
  • FHKJ
    OK, thanks Nap, will try and drink more! Both sessions have been first thing, so eating is always (and will remain) an issue, as I can't eat enough, early enough!

Thanks for the advice nevertheless.

Francis
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    get up earlier and eat earlier!!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I once read that if you can smell ammonia after exercising it is because you are overtraining and it is a sign your body is eating into its muscles! Might be time to take a rest.
  • Just your body doing what it does. Ammonia is a waste product from protein digestion. During exercise, your body digests its own proteins (muscle) in preference to using up your fat stores.

Wash your kit, eat, rest then go out again
  • LeighB wrote:
    I once read that if you can smell ammonia after exercising it is because you are overtraining and it is a sign your body is eating into its muscles! Might be time to take a rest.

Nah, this is quite a common myth. While it's true that if you were utilising your muscles as an energy source then you would get the ammonia smell, it's very unlikely that this is the case here. It's just excess nitrogen being excreted from the body in the form of ammonia as a result of your body using amino acids as an energy source - catabolism I think it's called. Give your body more of the fuel it wants - carbohydrates - and it's problem solved. I used to get this quite a bit when I was a rower without any adverse effects - didn't stop me packing on muscle either!
  • nasahapley wrote:
    LeighB wrote:

Nah, this is quite a common myth. While it's true that if you were utilising your muscles as an energy source then you would get the ammonia smell, it's very unlikely that this is the case here. It's just excess nitrogen being excreted from the body in the form of ammonia as a result of your body using amino acids as an energy source - catabolism I think it's called. Give your body more of the fuel it wants - carbohydrates - and it's problem solved. I used to get this quite a bit when I was a rower without any adverse effects - didn't stop me packing on muscle either!

I do believe its called ketonosis (yes i have spelt it wrong)
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    It's Ketosis. People on the Atkins diet get a bit whiffy for the same reason - the lack of carbs.