Idiots and rights of way on Public Bridleway.

missmarple
missmarple Posts: 1,980
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Last time I checked, the Bridleways around Hayes, Keston and High Elms accepted bikes. Yet some tw@t in his 50s, a Tim-nice-but-dim character attempted to usher me off the off the Bridleway although I was standing under the sign that said "Public Bridleway".

He eventually realised what a c*nt he had been and walked off with his three sodding doggies and his wife dressed top to toe in Cotton Traders!

Some people, absolutely hilarious vein attempts to dampen my Sunday morning.

Also, Shotbloks are lethal - I've had 2 blocks in 2 hours and I was jumping around like Run DMC after they'd won a music award!

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I often find that a bunch of fives on the end of the conk can make people see sense.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    Yep Dave, you ain't wrong there! Sometimes, a good old fashioned knuckle sandwich is the only way to make people see sense.

I've come across my fair share of stuffy characters protesting against what they think is a just anti-cyclist cause. A firm attitude and stony stare often does the trick!

KK.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i don't get this.

Me and the lads even ride on bits we KNOW we shouldn't be on. The side of farmers fields, footpaths and yesterday even through the middle of an Xmas tree forest LOL.

We meet people in places we're not supposed to be and are always nice and friendly, smile, "morning" and crack on. we've cycled into pheasant shoots on areas we're not allowed on and a bit of banter with gamekeeper etc.

Happy smiley faces get teh same in return.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    exactly, i only seem to have trouble where i'm supposed to be :roll:
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    I'm new again to riding but can't believe how bloody stupid people can be. This morning i was riding along, minding my own business on a cycle path when i get caught around the throat. Some idiot was at the other end of the path with a kite - flying high and with a cheese wire attached to it which could have cut someones head off.

I'm interested to find out where i stand legally - if i slap his face off the path - may times. I see this as attempted assult give the fact signs indicated he is on a cycle path. Therefore, kicking the crap out of him would be self defense? Any ideas's?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    doesn't mean it wouldn't be the right thing to do though.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    djames77 wrote:
    I'm new again to riding but can't believe how bloody stupid people can be. This morning i was riding along, minding my own business on a cycle path when i get caught around the throat. Some idiot was at the other end of the path with a kite - flying high and with a cheese wire attached to it which could have cut someones head off.

I'm interested to find out where i stand legally - if i slap his face off the path - may times. I see this as attempted assult give the fact signs indicated he is on a cycle path. Therefore, kicking the crap out of him would be self defense? Any ideas's?

Violence is not the answer here. Calmly catch hold of the string, reel in the kite, snap it in two and hand it to the owner with the words: "I think you dropped this."
  • KonaKurt
    Attatch the kite wire to his marble pouch and wait for a really good tailwind?

That's terrible mate, you are right, that wire could have meant a really nasty accident. Unless you had witnesses, you are not likely to be beleived in a court. A knuckle sandwich seems the only option really...

KK.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    djames77 wrote:
    I see this as attempted assult give the fact signs indicated he is on a cycle path. Therefore, kicking the crap out of him would be self defense? Any ideas's?

Are you serious or just an arsehole? He's just flying a kite FFS! At worst he's just inconsiderate...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • djames77
    got to be honest calm was the last thing on my mind when i jumped off the back of the bike holding my throat. I know violence is not the answer all of the time, but somethimes...........
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i would of set fire to his kite but then again i am a b*stard

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    He was being daft, not malicious, he obviously just hadn't seen what could happen...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • djames77
    Northwind, i do appriciate what your saying......... but really this guy should have used some common sense. I know if i drive passed a school at 8.30 am kids will be around. I will know i am about to go passed a school due to the signs. If i drove a 60 on the pavement i know someone would get hurt, the same way this guy would have seen the many obvious signs indicating he was on a cycle path. he still felt it ok to fly a bloody kite across the path. I really wish i had nutted the bugger......
  • KonaKurt
    edited October 2009
    Come to think of it, I do remember some years ago witnessing a nasty accident that involved a kite. Someone was flying one in a small town park, but above a busy pavement. Kite dived suddenly out of control (as they do) and hit a small child (aged 6?) straight in the face. The kid was screamed in pain having a few teeth knocked out and a cut mouth. That was terrible, an innocent kid being injured like that all because some jerk who should have been alot more responsible about where he flew a kite near to, not giving a monkeys for anyone else's welfare.

I think considering others is the sentance I am thinking of here. It's not an 'option', it's common respect.

KK.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited October 2009
    KonaKurt wrote:
    That was terrible, an innocent kid being injured like that all because some jerk who should have been alot more responsible about where he flew a kite near to, not giving a monkeys for anyone else's welfare.

Same thing, he probably wasn't thinking "I'll fly my kite where I want and I don't care if I hurt any kids", more likely it just didn't occur to them what might happen. Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, they say... Thoughtless doesn't mean the same as inconsiderate. *

(* Well. Actually, it does, it just doesn't get used in the same way.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hercule Q
    i regularly fly my kite near schools and power cables, hell sometimes i like to punch orphans and mock them for being short and i do it all drunk with intent to cause injury!

i do not do or condone the behavior mentioned above

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    drunk? pah, lightweight. I do all of the above, and then maim everyone in sight, but all whilst high on crystal meth and PCP.
  • Hercule Q
    thats hardcore man but is it done with uttermost disrespect for local bylaws?

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    disrespect? I don't even know what the straight laws are, let alone the bisexual laws. :lol:
  • Hercule Q
    do you hit gays and jews with kites? thats how you catch things

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
    Wait, I just realised this isn't the thread I though it was!
  • Hercule Q
    i think the whole forum is on one tonight so it doesn't matter what or where you post :lol:

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    It seems to have lit up since someone pointed out how many posts SS and Nick had. As if we can somehow catch up. :oops:
  • Hercule Q
    ha ha could be, the race to 50,000 is on lol :lol:

pinkbike
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    It seems to have lit up since someone pointed out how many posts SS and Nick had. As if we can somehow catch up. :oops:

Yes but Nick cheats - he only uses one word per post. If you actually add up all the words he's posted, he would only actually have five posts in total.

Therefore SS gets my vote as being the Forum Post Pest.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Quality is more important than quantity though, atleast thats what my boss keeps telling me.
  • Seriously though....who buys a kite?
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • Anonymous
    Seriously though....who buys a kite?
    I've got a kite. It's huge. It's great fun handing it to smaller/lighter people, as they get dragged along the beach by it!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We still on about posts? I am going to doctor someones account and give them 7 million!