Studded tyres for winter commute?

2»

Comments

• itboffin wrote:
    I fear now I might be getting a little to cocky, topped 30mph down hill this evening, on ice!

Studded tires are totally counter intuitive I must say. I find myself looking for ice and compacted snow to ride on, especially when the thaw starts.

It is recommended that you ride them for about 50km off ice to allow the studs to bed in. I learnt this to my cost last year while I was doing this, I locked up trying to avoid a "zombie" pedestrian and lost a few studs.

As mentioned elsewhere, they are no answer for soft/melting snow.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I thought about putting the knobblies on today but decided to stick with the City Jets out of laziness. TBH, I think even if I'd had snow tyres, I'd still be quicker riding cautiously on the slicks than I would if I'd changed tyres to something more appropriate. It's only my village where I have to cycle on snow and that is only a short way (and fun with it!). Would be different if I was riding any distance in these conditions.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Not having any problems finding snow & ice personally :)

managed a 16mph avg max 30mph this morning :)

Anyone else REALLY REALLY excited by the snow and hopefully lots of slippy ice? No! Just me then :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Anyone else REALLY REALLY excited by the snow and hopefully lots of slippy ice? No! Just me then

I've been out practicing snow biking, now that I've got the big chunky winter tyres back on the MTB.
    Only a couple of moments where I lost traction, it's all in the balance and theres something to be said for keeping your speed up. In fact,the best technique seemed to be a lot like how you'd snowboard in deep pow :D

4248666485_8c190d9569_m.jpg
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh and disc brake are a must, now at what temp should I worry about the brake fluid freezing?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    No idea old chap, I've got lovely old-fashioned cable disks :-)

(depends on what sort of brake fluid it is...sounds like a questions for the MTB Forum)
    Misguided Idealist