Studded tyres for winter commute?

matchbook
matchbook Posts: 23
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
...Or is that completely overkill given the usual UK winter.

My commute usually involves a good few miles of country lanes, and I don't drive so cycling is basically my only option. I'm just remembering last winter, and the relatively few really frozen mornings. When it was really bad, when faced with really steep hills I'd ride mega-slowly/get off and walk, even so there were a few times when there was no option but to bail/fall off.

Knowing my luck though, I'd get a set of studded tyres after the first major frost, they would slow me down considerably, and would be rendered virtually useless by wearing down/losing the studs by the time the worst snow/ice appears.

Opinions elsewhere online seem to be mixed, so I'm just wondering if anyone here would recommend them or otherwise...

Comments

• You could make a set to try relatively cheaply using old tyres.

Nearly forty years ago speedway on ice was run for a couple of seasons in Scottish ice rinks. The original set-up used car snow studs but these just tore out, the solution being to drill the tyres and use coach bolts with the nuts on the ouside.

No doubt something similar on a smaller scale could be used to provide what you want though the legalities might be questionable.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    MTB nobblies at reduced pressure ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    img0424o.jpg

more for use on Ice than snow and slush.

Some people get away with just a studded on the front.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    MTB nobblies at reduced pressure ?

What good does that do on ice?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Some people get away with just a studded on the front.
    Now I come to think of it, losing front wheel traction was the cause of pretty much all of my mishaps last winter. Might try this.
  • PARIS75
    PARIS75 Posts: 85
    seems a bit extreme, i could understand if you were guaranteed snow / ice for so many months a year but those buggers will wear out before you properly get the chance to use them
  • Yes, that's my dilemma. Judging by last year, this winter there'll likely be only a dozen or so dangerously icy mornings here (I'm in Hertfordshire), but on those days, my 14mile commute took roughly 3 times as long (I was very late for work).
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    you know.. its a shame no one does a tyre chain device like they use in places like Canada... then just whack it over the tyres on bad icy days.

I've only ever come off a bike 5 times in my life - 3 from when I was a kid and making a fool of myself, one was another road users fault and one was ice because the local council wont ever grit here - its too expensive. I've been thinking of getting a hack bike made up for winter just to cope with the ice on the odd days. There again I'm close enough to walk should I need to, and ride in the afternoon when its melted.
  • Grindy
    Grindy Posts: 25
    I got myself a Schwalbe Snow Stud tyre last winter that I put on the front (it doesn't have as many spikes and is cheaper than the Ice Spiker). It coped well with the icey mornings and the snow (I only had a couple of slides). It is a heavy and noisey tyre but rolls pretty well. I only lost one spike but had no issues with wear even after 4 months of use. It is hard to fit on the rim though.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    matchbook wrote:
    Yes, that's my dilemma. Judging by last year, this winter there'll likely be only a dozen or so dangerously icy mornings here (I'm in Hertfordshire), but on those days, my 14mile commute took roughly 3 times as long (I was very late for work).

You can't judge by last year as it was way colder than most British winters.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    My gut feeling would be that studded tyres are overkill for nearly all of the UK - unless you're going to be hooning round the North Yorks Moors or the Highlands, then where, really, are you going to see that much snow?

And as for ice - well it's really slippery - there's not much anything can really do about that - so if you do come across ice, get off and walk a bit.

Or carry rock salt in your panniers...!?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Have a spare set of cheap wheels with winter tyres on. So when extra cold or icy or snowy put these on. Simples.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    matchbook wrote:
    Mate of mine got a set. Also rides quiet roads which tend to be icy. He swears by them now. It isn't a huge outlay, they last well but are noisy; so very little downside. Much upside if it helps you avoid hitting the deck (which happens all to easily on quiet roads and lanes).

Get em.
  • Schwalbe are very good but you really don't need so many studs and if you do want to make your own studded tyres, use sheet-metal screws. Pan head, instead of hex head, use old road slicks to protect the tubes on the inside. Choose an old pair of 26 inch with big knobbies then choose screws which will emerge about 3 or 4mm. Drill starter holes and screw them in. The points will wear fast on uncovered tarmac but you'll be left with 2-3 mm studs, which is ideal and could last you several winters. They are excellent on sheet ice when braking. Nothing else comes close. People who don't know you are riding on studded tyres will be amazed.
  • Schwalbe Winter tyres (35/622) are great. pricey yes, but i ride my bike every day. If they only do me for 10 days a year they prove worthwhile and will last a long time, happy in my shed for the above freezing months. I'm happy with that. The Schwalbe's gets a superb write up too. 240 flat studs rather than spiked so ok for tarmac to a certain extend too (uk conditions) and will mean you still have your confidence in icy conditions. dry/wet weather = back to slicks in 20 minutes. no problem.

riding every day.

Dave
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    downfader wrote:
    you know.. its a shame no one does a tyre chain device like they use in places like Canada... then just whack it over the tyres on bad icy days.

I've only ever come off a bike 5 times in my life - 3 from when I was a kid and making a fool of myself, one was another road users fault and one was ice because the local council wont ever grit here - its too expensive. I've been thinking of getting a hack bike made up for winter just to cope with the ice on the odd days. There again I'm close enough to walk should I need to, and ride in the afternoon when its melted.
    WOW, only 5 crashes in your whole bike life.... not to sound funny, but thats ridiculus..... you need to try MTB, 5 crashed PER RIDE is pretty good going.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    WOW, only 5 crashes in your whole bike life.... not to sound funny, but thats ridiculus..... you need to try MTB, 5 crashed PER RIDE is pretty good going.....

I understand what you say, but please bear in mind most people who ride on the road don't necessarily ride off-road.

You are ignoring the fact that falling during a regular ride on a road bike is not just a very very rare event, it usually involves very high speeds, and most importantly, hard road furniture, and the consequences are, on average, worse than regular MTB riding.

I don't count falling off while MTB'ing as _falling_ at all, since it's part of the _fun_...

But I do count the number of times I fell on the road, at least since I learned to ride properly (say since I was 10 year old), and that again would probably be a total of 10 times maybe? That includes falling on ice last weekend.
  • When I read this post in October, I laughed, "ha ha ha, who the hell needs studded bike tyres in the UK during global warming!!! ha ha ha".

OK guys, I'm eating my words after being off bike for 2 weeks due to ice. :oops:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Roastie wrote:
    matchbook wrote:
    Mate of mine got a set. Also rides quiet roads which tend to be icy. He swears by them now. It isn't a huge outlay, they last well but are noisy; so very little downside. Much upside if it helps you avoid hitting the deck (which happens all to easily on quiet roads and lanes).

Get em.

I blatantly should have followed this advice. A week now and frozen snow is still extant in my area. Will be getting at least one winter tyre come payday.

*crosses fingers and hopes for no new snow/ice before 20 Jan*
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I foolishly rode 32 miles today after 10 miles came across thick ice & snow, was I riding the new tyres .... nope! :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • What are the roads like out in Windshire at the moment itb? Land there on Tuesday for the week :-)
  • I ordered 26in Schwalbe Snow Stud from Wiggle. Chain Reaction sell them too.
    I am already running Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my hybrid bike. The Snow Studs are quite light compared to other types such as Ice Spike which have 3 times as many studs and the SS design means at low pressure, the studs are in contact when you need them and at higher pressure they are not (for clear roads, less rolling resistance). £26 on Wiggle, £27 on CRC
  • itboffin
    What are the roads like out in Windshire at the moment itb? Land there on Tuesday for the week :-)

For the most part very good until you get out really into the wilds, places like Walbury hill (Hampshire) look like it still gonna be a week or so before it clears and the forecast for the next couple of days is heavy snow :shock:

Lots of black ice in the low areas along the Test Valley and the Bourne brrrr!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Now I know why you don't see loads of cyclists with studded tyres, phew that's hard work it was kind of like trying to make the earth rotate rather than pedalling, my legs were on fire which wasn't helped by me continuously selecting the wrong gears, then forgetting that the MTB has flat pedals so pulling your legs up doesn't work :?

Flat bars are uncomfortable and hurt after a while, def not a long distance commuting set-up.
  • itboffin
    Here's some advise for fellow stud or spike tyre owners, if the road is partially iced and or snow, cycle on the ice, its so much easier than dry or wet tarmac.
  • Yes, it is best to cycle on ice, your studs/spikes will last longer.

Schwalbe Snow Studs grip at 30 PSI and at 50 PSI the studs are clear when riding in a straight line, faster and less wear, so that you don't have to change tyres until the frost has finally gone.
  • itboffin
    gracoo2 wrote:
    Yes, it is best to cycle on ice, your studs/spikes will last longer.

Schwalbe Snow Studs grip at 30 PSI and at 50 PSI the studs are clear when riding in a straight line, faster and less wear, so that you don't have to change tyres until the frost has finally gone.

I was about to buy those for that very reason, then I though "what happens when you round a corner to find several miles of thick ice?" which is then followed by several miles of dry/wet road, and so on and so on.

Which is the case around here at the moment, wouldn't it be great to have tyres that you could flip a switch and convert from slicks to studs :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    out on the MTB today on Maxxis Detonators - no problems with snow or ice - I think the answer is to do everything - slowly - don't snatch at brakes etc
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    Tempted to get one or 2 of these now, after a slow motion off at the weekend, only 2 miles form home too :roll:

ITB, did you go for Snow studs or the Ice spikes?

Snow studs seem more suited to the conditions here, and with the upcoming couple of weeks worth of freezing conditions seems like it might make sense.

After some more use, what pressures are you running them/it at and what do you make of them/it, a worthwhile purchase?

If it's the Snow studs, I did notice this description of them:
    Tyres need to be run-in for 25 miles / 40 km on hard-top road to ensure spikes are permanently fixed. Avoid rapid acceleration and braking during this period.

Did you adhere to this, or were you blissfully unaware? :D

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Well they're called conti spike claw 240 but they look more like studs to me, and yes I took the first 70 miles very steady mostly because of fear :lol:

I fear now I might be getting a little to cocky, topped 30mph down hill this evening, on ice!

Was through the Savernake Forest, amazing starry night tonight, lovely stuff :D

Edit: PLEASE NOTE at 900+g each these things take a lot of effort on anything other than flat roads, which I lack here in Windshire :?

You will not be setting any PB whilst running these :wink: