The Shack Pro Tour licence

2»

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    If I'm right these were the 16 teams who signed the Grand Tour agreement during the TdF 2008 and thus have guaranteed entry for 2010 as per terms of the UCI peace agreement:

Ag2r-La Mondiale
    Astana
    Bbox Bouyges Telecom
    Caisse d'Epargne
    Cofidis
    Columbia-HTC
    Euskaltel-Euskadi
    Française des Jeux
    Fuji Servetto
    Lampre-NGC
    Liquigas
    Milram
    Quick Step
    Rabobank
    Saxo Bank
    Silence-Lotto

[Gerolsteiner and Credit Agricole also signed but no longer exist]

ASO have already confirmed they will honour the agreements with Cofidis and Bbox Bouyges Telecom despite their relegation to Pro Continental status. So that's the above 16 teams with guaranteed entry.

ProTour teams for next year without guaranteed entry:

Garmin-Slipstream
    Katusha
    RadioShack
    Sky

ProContinental teams for next year who might be interested but without guaranteed entry:

Cervélo TestTeam
    Saur-Sojasun
    Skil Shimano
    Vacansoleil

(I've ignored the Giro and Vuelta only teams like LPR Brakes, Diquigiovanni and Xacobeo Galicia. BMC already said they're not interested in TdF in 2010)

So that's 24 possible teams assuming ASO doesn't bar Fuji-Servetto again.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    afx237vi wrote:
    Vacansoleil are Dutch, not French. And the Tour starts in the Netherlands. Plus Vacansoleil showed during the Vuelta that they have a good set of riders who can liven up a grand tour.

I agree that Radio Shack and Sky are virtually guaranteed entry, but I still think Vacansoleil will get in.

+1, Hoogerland alone warrents their entry :wink:.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Weren't Skil-Shimano bright and sparkly during last July?

(Wanna see Kenny win this year).
  • I really can't see Skil Shimano or Saur-Sojasun getting a spot.

Vacansoleil's inclusion will effectively be the fifth French team due to the Feillu brothers involvement.

I think Fuji will miss out again leaving 21 teams at the starting line in July.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    How many teams is that with Pro Tour licenses now?

17 was widely expected to be the maximum number for next year which might mean Astana miss out.

Astana already have one. They're not up for renewal

It appears that there will be 18 pro tour teams then if the recent comments about Astana are anything to go by.