Winter training camps

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
Hi does anyone have any suggestions for good places to go on a winter training camp, preferably somewhere hilly and sunny end of feb, we have looked into lanzaroti and it seems likly that we will go there just wondering if there is any other places worth going?

Comments

• Apparently the Canary Islands can be a bit windy and hilly. Majorca is somewhere i'm personally looking at. Apparently it has a good mix of flat smooth roads, mountain passes and is by all accounts not very windy.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Mallorcas the place mate. Its cheap (if you book it yourself), accesible, there will be thousands of other cyclists (incl the pro teams) over there in Feb - the weathers mid 60's and there are a good mix of cycling friendly roads ,flatter to the south hillier to the north to suit all abilities. There are lots of cycling shops ,especially around Playa de Palma, for hire of bikes ,parts etc and its close to the airport so not high transfer charges. Pro Bike in Pollensa can drop hire bikes off to the rest of the island.
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Any ideas for April? Thinking of taking the 'Team' training but the last time I went to Majorca in April (this year) the weather was pants - I'm lead to believe it's their rainy season.

Majorca is convenient though, with flights from Exeter and also the number of cyclists out there plus great climbs. Maybe I was just unlucky, it was pretty rubbish weather over the whole of Europe over Easter I think.
  • Tenerife gets better weather than Mallorca at that time of the year. Nor is it windy like they say about Lanzarote. There are also bigger climbs here! 2350m / 7000ft :twisted:

Granted it's not known as the cycling island... but still, it's where the Pros come to do their early season winter training... :wink:
  • Tenerife has good weather all year round & good climbing if your looking for some hard rides, most roads are up or down so not great if your just doing steady base miles.

Andalusia is also good, particularly around Las Alpujarras on the south of Sierra Nevada. good mix of hills, valleys, smooth roads and great weather. Easy to get to with Malaga & Granada airports nearby.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Majorca is great because of the diversity of the riding. Tenerife is up/down, good if that's what you want. Andalucia always gets a good press. Have a look at

www.ready2ride.co.uk
    www.traininspain.net
    www.ciclocostablanca.com

I've used the first of the above. It was cheap and I had a good time but you have to be reasonably self-sufficient.
    M.Rushton
  • Several places are fit for purpose, be it Majorca, the Canaries, the Costa Blanaca or even further afield. No one place can guarantee great weather, you have to go with the averages, and normally that part of Europe is mild in winter and can have temps in the 20s from March onwards. But it can and does rain, just like anywhere else . . . just less often!

In my opinion (and many others) Majorca's roads are not as good or nearly as quiet as those found in the Marina Alta mountains on Spain's Costa Blanca. If you watched this year's vuelta you would have seen 3-4 stages taking part in this area so plenty of categorised climbs to enjoy. You can ride for hours there and see no more than a handful of cars. Majorca is much busier due to the fact it is an island, it is also much more populated with tourist coaches etc. The Canaries are better for warmer temps - much further South - but do not have the variety of routes and climbs as the mainland.

As far as each area claiming that is where the pros train, sure each area enjoys pro team visits. Again though, the majority of pro teams can be found in January and February between Calpe and Denia on the Costa Blanca (Calpe, Moraira, Javea and Denia). Johaan Brunyeel is on record as saying it is the best winter training area in Europe. He has been every year bar one with his teams (last year Lance wanted to go to the Canaries, a regular bolt hole of his when he lived in Girona).

Majorca is certainly geared up for the influx of cyclists, and the hotels and operators attract somewhere in the region of 400,000 per year. The downside of that is you may feel you are just following the herd.

As far as what you pay goes, I think like any holiday choice there is something for everyone. Some people like to be self-sufficient, others like to have everything organised for them so they just have to turn up and ride their bikes.

More and more, riders also want to feel they are getting added value from the week, not just doing the same old, same old . . . churning out 500 miles and flying home. In the UK, Sporstest are organising a week of coaching, testing and training in Denia (as seen in Cycling Plus). I also received an email from Dave Lloyd (ex-pro and coach) that he is doing a week with the same organisers (www.traininspain.net).

Sure you pay a bit more for an organised week but you can get a lot more out of it. I think the problem for many riders is that they are creatures of habit and do not try different places - "we've always gone to Majorca" is oft. repeated. OK, it's a good place but at least try somewhere different now and again, there's plenty of other options.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    A DIY trip to Andalucia in April would be great! Good sometimes hot, fairly quite roads on the whole and a bit of tourist stuff for any possible 'other half'. Cheap & easy to Malaga or perhaps even Granada. We went there in Feb stayed in a B&B and got unseasonably cold weather but still better than southern Sweden & knee deep snow!
    Majorca is popular & cycling well supported - but not sure it would be my cup of tea due to wealth of other cyclists/tourists - but thats just me!
  • Still available to host you people in our B&B in the Marina Alta !
    Also in february. Just surf to homelidays.com and seek for "Vall de Gallinera" if you want the info in english. Link for website (only Dutch). :D
  • I can vouch for www.traininspain.net.

I have been tio Denia fo rthe last 4 years at the end of February. Weather has bee great and the thought of the camp certainly keeps you going through the winter months.

Denia on the Costa Blanca is a great base - good hotel, bike shop, friendly and most importantly great riding on very well maintained roads (compared to Majorca in my opinion).

There is also a great scope for fkat or mountainous rides so you never get bored.

Try John at Train in SPain - very friendly service and flexible with regard to planning a camp ariund what you want
  • Hi does anyone have any suggestions for good places to go on a winter training camp, preferably somewhere hilly and sunny end of feb, we have looked into lanzaroti and it seems likly that we will go there just wondering if there is any other places worth going?

I have also been out to Denia in late Feb/early march for the past few years; weather usually good and dry, good accommodation, prices very reasonable, and John Fegan now of TrainInSpain is a great guy who organises everything, rides with you and makes usre the rides fit the requirement.
    I have already booked to head out there again in Feb 2010.
  • I'm off to Cyprus last week in Feb. Have been there for a number of years - where I go in the Paralimni area its quite flat, tho there are a few inclines. I use this 'camp' as a mileage camp rather than do any speed work. The roads are good and the drivers always give plenty of passing space. The weather is gen v good, altho it is the wet season the rain doesn't last long - hour or so, it dries up quick and is a good few degrees warmer than here. Now that easyjet fly there I can go for half the price of british airways, ej charge £36 for the bike return where ba now charge £60...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I can vouch for www.traininspain.net.

I have been tio Denia fo rthe last 4 years at the end of February. Weather has bee great and the thought of the camp certainly keeps you going through the winter months.

Denia on the Costa Blanca is a great base - good hotel, bike shop, friendly and most importantly great riding on very well maintained roads (compared to Majorca in my opinion).

There is also a great scope for fkat or mountainous rides so you never get bored.

Try John at Train in SPain - very friendly service and flexible with regard to planning a camp ariund what you want
    Yeah, but when you train in spain is it mainly on the plain?
  • binlinus
    binlinus Posts: 305
    I go on the Costa Blanca training camp every year. Lots of hills and beautiful scenery. January to March: http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/training/training_early_bird.html

Bin
  • I combined a holiday and a winter training week in 2010 and flew out to San Diego in February.... amazing! Perfect weather all week, beautiful mixture of coastal riding and mountains and there's a big cyling community there too. Check out www.ccsd.com - they also supported my Tour of California challenge in May and provided some of the best support and coaching I've ever experienced. Can't recommend them enough!

And that advert was brought to you by www.CCSD.com...... :roll:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    How much is it to get the bike to the US? Canaries/Majorca/Andalucia are the nearest. If you are going to the US, you may as well go to S.Africa as it's nice down around Cape Town. Portugal may be another idea.
    M.Rushton