Training for 2010 Road Racing season

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
I am getting this question in good and early.
How do others plan their training SPECIFICALLY for next years road race season?

Chain gangs?
Reliability runs??
Audaxes???
Sportives????

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Base miles
    Chain gangs
    Turbo pain
    Techique work.

May do a club reliability run for a distraction but if my fitness isnt starting to take some kind of shape by Feb i have done something wrong! Next year is made now so that question isnt early!!!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    JGSI wrote:
    Reliability runs??
    Audaxes???
    Sportives????
    Whilst they are all great ways of getting base miles in, you'll need to have done some intensity work (ie intervals) over the winter if you intend to start racing in March. Besides, there are few audaxes and sportifs over the winter and by the time the reliability rides start in late Jan or Feb, you should be well into the season build up in terms of increasing intensity.

Chaingangs have their place as well, but only if the other riders are of a similar standard to you. If you are miles off their pace (either way) you'll gain little benefit (other than maybe learning how to ride on a wheel, ride smoothly and safely in a bunch and suffer until you blow up).

From my own experience, intervals on the turbo mixed with longer road rides / chaingangs are the best way of preparing to race............getting the mix and intensity of the sessions right is the tricky bit.

Joe Friel's "Cyclist Training Bible" is a good place to start if you are trying to draw up your own training schedule.