struggling to word it LOL

Matt the Tester
Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
anyway, i plan on riding 40 miles a night for training purposes averaging 18-20MPH. climbing 3 hills about first hill is about 13% 2nd hill is 14% and the final hill is 25% if i ride this 3-5 times a week how quickly would i see improvement?
Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
north west of england.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tomorrow?
  • no im doing it on thursday then im doing it on saturday
    club run on sunday.
    north west of england.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, that was the answer to your question.

It's impossible to tell, everyone responds to training stimulus differently.
  • oooh thanks =p
    north west of england.
  • you'll get bored quicker than you improve if you do one training loop over and over again.

can you mix it up a bit? not just the route, but the riding style too (intervals, maybe, or get out with a local club etc.)

after a few rides, you'll know the answer to your own question btw. if you're really keen to know, keep a diary or use something like sporttracks to monitor your progress.

and surely, if you can ride 40miles at 20mph 3x per week already, without fatigue or boredom, you already know your own limits and progression. is this a realistic target you are setting?
  • my club rides out at 9:30am so unfortunately i can't join them apart from a sunday.

i just want too improve i feel it would be a suitable since i want too start competing in races next season.

my legs are aching at the end of the ride on the final road but i can still keep the pace up.
    north west of england.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    anyway, i plan on riding 40 miles a night for training purposes averaging 18-20MPH. climbing 3 hills about first hill is about 13% 2nd hill is 14% and the final hill is 25% if i ride this 3-5 times a week how quickly would i see improvement?

Well depending on the lengths of these 3 climbs, if you can average that speed including those over 40 iles you ready to race 2nd Cat.
    You will get bloody bored also, change your routes and dont ride the route flat out, do intervals, work on the climbs maybe with a sprint or two. Then another night ride it on lower gears and use it as recovery ride, then a night off. Then you will see improvement, not that it is needed according to your speed.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    To paraphrase Michael Hutchinson, you should try to get to where you want to be (fittness wise) as slowly as posssible in the given time. So if you're doing that now can you realistically imagine increasing the training load, even by 5%, every week 'til you start racing?
    Most people, full of enthusiasm, start off way too hard. You shouldn't be arriving home feeling tired in October if you plan to start racing in March IMO. Progression is the key.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    steady rider,
    Isn't there anyone at your club to advise you?
    They'll be in a better position, as they know you and the area you're training on.
    You're brand new to all this, you should ask your clubmates, that's part of the reason people join clubs.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • yeah there is people i can speak too so i will.

yeah thanks for all the advise i do think im going too hard since i've only gotten my bike thursday rofl. so ill calm it down that way ill be going in perfect condition when i do start racing.
    north west of england.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Got to admire your enthusiasm steady rider, but 40 miles a night 5 times a week in the winter - never gonna happen my friend, and doesnt need to either.

I notice that you have only just got you bike, I think talking to your clubmates is first and best thing to do, get some ideas about putting some variety in your training and making it a bit more focussed and effective instead of your current plan.

Like other replies have said, road season starts next spring, 5 months away. 5 months of 5 nights a week??
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Got to admire your enthusiasm steady rider, but 40 miles a night 5 times a week in the winter - never gonna happen my friend, and doesnt need to either.

Winter does not suddenly make riding harder.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Winter does not suddenly make riding harder.

Not sure everyone will agree with that statement. Also, the point is that training should be progessive so don't start at the point where you want to be in 6 months.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well I know that, but I'm trying to figure out how winter riding is harder? It was no harder for me, I did more miles in Winter, if you are warm then it's fine.

I guess it can be harder on the wallet and cleaning though.