X-Ray of a Cannondale

hoathy
hoathy Posts: 776
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Ok, its not an MTB, but the road lot weren't really interested, and I though you might be, cos i think its cool.
Its an x-ray of my cannondale synapse carbon:
Z01.jpg
- Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    that's awesome. how'd you go about do that?

also what's the white blob where the seat tube meets the top tube? hope its not a fault in the frame?
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    dead bug :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Oh good.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • hoathy
    judging by the brightness of it, its made of alloy. it is definatly in the frame though. you have to consider the fact that its a 2 image of a 3d item, so that metal bit is most likely a sensible shape really.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • its your display pic hothy ......
  • When you consider that even relatively small amounts of ultraviolet radiation brakes down carbon fiber structures I would hate to think what Xrays would do to it :?
  • hoathy
    When you consider that even relatively small amounts of ultraviolet radiation brakes down carbon fiber structures I would hate to think what Xrays would do to it :?

Please don't make me start on the radiation physics...

... i am also aware that it is my avatar. thankyou for pointing that out.
  • no problem :)
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    Hoathy wrote:
    When you consider that even relatively small amounts of ultraviolet radiation brakes down carbon fiber structures I would hate to think what Xrays would do to it :?

img_1.jpg
  • hoathy
    close! a bit more like this: except less studenty and less blurry and with smarter trousers:

DSC00140.jpg

Dr. Alan Statham is much more sensible than me.
  • vinnn
    vinnn Posts: 62
    That's awesome, especially coz I also have a Cannondale Synapse Carbon which I adore.
  • Hoathy wrote:

lol sorry, though I am actually quite interested to know what Xray would do to it. I know the damage UV does and I know that Gamma will damage a wide ranges of structures very quickly. I would have guessed as Xray are in-between these two it would have thought it would have done similar damage if not more towards that of Gamma?
  • hoathy
    x-ray are more or less them same as gamma rays, although genrally (but not all ways) have less energy. UV has a great deal less energy than both. Gamma and x-rays in most cases (it is quite complicated) deliver all the energy to one point (either a nucleus or an electron in an atom or ion). The greater the density and the atomic number of the material, the more x-rays it will attenuate, which is why you can see the metal so much better (black is where x-rays have arrived at the detector). UV on the other hand cannot pass through carbon fiber (or sunblock) and so delivers all its energy to the outer layers which is why it causes problems. The dose I gave my bike is nothing in a life time, about what it would get if i sat it next to a motorway for 24 hours.

Gamma (and x-ray) are most damaging to living tissue, because it contains water, and the radiation produces free radicals, which can causes cells to do all sorts (including cell death, and causing cancer)
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'm sure I've seen that X Ray somewhere else Hoathy ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I did quite a bit of radiation physics at uni!
  • hoathy
    Andy_B wrote:

yeah. i know, i posted it in the cake stop...
    what did you do at uni supersonic?
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    supersonic wrote:
    I did quite a bit of radiation physics at uni!

me too. mostly irradiating my body with alcohol and cigarettes

awesome picture btw. How much to sneak a full frame shot of my IBIS Tranny?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Hmm for some reason I want an X ray pic of my bike as well. I think you could have the beginnings of a nice little earner here I am sure the boss wont mind the eqipment being used for such important work :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    So are you studying radiography or an RDA?

Can't quite tell from your epaulettes!

Either way - very cool from a bike point of view - very risky from a work point of view (please tell me you got permission first!!)

But then the hospital I used to work at helped the local university's paleontolgy department by x-raying fossilised dinosaur eggs - and when they weren't happy with the plain films they went ahead and CT scanned it!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Hoathy wrote:
    x-ray are more or less them same as gamma rays, although genrally (but not all ways) have less energy. UV has a great deal less energy than both. Gamma and x-rays in most cases (it is quite complicated) deliver all the energy to one point (either a nucleus or an electron in an atom or ion). The greater the density and the atomic number of the material, the more x-rays it will attenuate, which is why you can see the metal so much better (black is where x-rays have arrived at the detector). UV on the other hand cannot pass through carbon fiber (or sunblock) and so delivers all its energy to the outer layers which is why it causes problems. The dose I gave my bike is nothing in a life time, about what it would get if i sat it next to a motorway for 24 hours.

Gamma (and x-ray) are most damaging to living tissue, because it contains water, and the radiation produces free radicals, which can causes cells to do all sorts (including cell death, and causing cancer)

Thanks for the info. Its actually really simple now you explained it I feel daft for asking :oops:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    any chance of getting an xray of my bike with me on it? 8)
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Hoathy wrote:
    Andy_B wrote:

yeah. i know, i posted it in the cake stop...
    Nope, I don't venture over to the roadie side on here!

If it's old school, it's in... ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • hoathy what bike do you ride and where, think i may have seen you today
  • a proper MTB Xray

xraybiker.jpg
  • TommyEss
    I don't like that saddle angle!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    If your seat tube is Alu dude, it aint butted! So you COULD be due a refund.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Is that mtb pic real or faked?? if its a dum ass question just sit me in a corner and i'll be quiet i promise :P :D
  • TommyEss
    I think the bike and the person are probably real - but looking at the positioning of said person on the bike, it doesn't look like he was on the bike whilst x-rayed.

Other daft people to have x-rayed themselves "for funsies" are the members of Supergrass, for their eponymous third album.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I did physics at York uni - though I never completed the degree and left in my final year due to health and financial reasons. I shall complete it one day!

My final year project was studying radiation from environmental sources, using NaI gamma detectors to produce energy spectra of the sources. Also had to plot efficiency of the detectors used as we had a CsI too.