XT or X9

2»

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    theres nowt wrong with 'fine' shifting, its just i prefer awesome shifting, so i run modern sram.

You should try Altus ;-). Probably stronger too...

Right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    More steel in in the mech!
  • I`ve always had Shimano,currently running XT but at the bike show I tried an Epic which had X9 shifters and an X0 rear mech and must say I was very impressed.
    Positive,almost switchlike changes,not what I`d call clunky.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I have read a few times that SRAM rear mechs aren't as strong as shimano.

Is there a SRAM version of the Saint?

Also, the SLX is more of a burly XT instead of a worse one. (the slx and xt shifter have the same internals)... whereas the SRAM stuff gets better or worse depending on the number,
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I have read a few times that SRAM rear mechs aren't as strong as shimano.

Also, the SLX is more of a burly XT instead of a worse one. (the slx and xt shifter have the same internals)... whereas the SRAM stuff gets better or worse depending on the number,
    I've seen plenty of failures of both X9 & XT mechs

No Sram version of Saint
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    I still think mix and match is the best way forward. I do much prefer SRAM chains, and am pretty impressed with the PG970 cassette - they are cheap too. The LE has LX shifters and XTR rear mech, the ruckus (when built, it is in more pieces at the moment than the loser off X factor tonight) is ALivio/Acera with Deore cassette and of course the Team X9/X9. I have some spare XT 8 speed too - I might even go back 8 speed on the Team! All are SHimano front mechs.

I do like the robustness of the cheaper Shimano stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I have read a few times that SRAM rear mechs aren't as strong as shimano.

SLX replaced LX which is lower than XT.

What happened to hone? and the Saint/hone axle attached mechs? Not needed. as can be seen from the current shimano range.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • But... SLX is overbuilt!
    I read lots of reviews saying its practically the same as XT, just stronger!
  • supersonic
    Hone was basically LX with a few stengthening features on some of the stuff.

One thing for sure is that SRAMs range is a lot easier to follow, but a lot narrower. Shimano seemsto have hordes of crank variations, non series stuff.

Not sure SLX is that overbuilt. It was always going to have to be heavier than XT... sometimes that can work in its favour though.

I do think the range needs streamlining.