XT or X9

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Controversial topic I know,....

I came across this video and was wondering what the pro's and cons were
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/15232/

To me, the xt seems to work with the chain over natural chain movement when diding over bumps.... meaning when you change gear they are both in the same sort of state.

The SRAM seems to keep everything still and steady which surely means its working against the chain... the SRAM however shows that the derailleur would actualy stop the chain from bouncing around and therefore produce crisper changes more constantly.

Whats your view after seeing that video?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My view is that the video tells you bugger all, only using them tells you anything. Both shift brilliantly in all sorts of conditions.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    shame they tested old shimano tech, and tbh, i have used my mates X0, and feels no different ( apart from the shifters look and feel) to xt/xtr

all in the mind/wallet i reckon
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    A bit like the whole PS3 vs Xbox 360 arguement ? As far as im concerned they both do the job they are designed for ... Im just a SRAM guy 8) :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • lesz42
    and really, cant wait until someone designs a decent gearbox for bikes, no more mech type things out back

cost/weight means not going to be soon tho :cry:
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Got both, but I do prefer the feel of the SRAM in the way it shifts
    Either way the SRAM and Shimano kit are both up to performing the tasks bestowed upon them both which is moving the chain up and down the cassette on demand.
    Neither of them have ever let me down
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    having owned some shimano (deore, lx, xt (briefly), dcl, xtr) and some sram (x7,x9,xo,) i can categorically say i much prefer sram, the change is swifter, more definate, and is completely easy to set up and stays set once done.

I would say x9 compares more directly with xtr in terms of quality which means x0 is in a whole league of its own.

That said, when i ditched my xtr kit, i replaced it with x9 as x0 is so expensive but the performance doesnt feel all that different to x9
  • lesz42
    i may be wrong but X0 is just added carbon and a titanium spring? cant see that helping much apart from weight?

my mate has a remedy 9, and is sure if he breaks the rear mech , he will go over to a X9 mech

tbh i cant say much i just have a poorly SLX mech
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    its not really fair as i think that most people buying shimano now would go for shadow, which is very different. i have shadow xt and have had x7, and i preffer the feel of the big S(himano). i also think the shadow tech is fantasic in terms of avoiding rock/logs/general trail junk. i used to have the problem of always smashing up my mech and hanger, not since i moved to shadow.......
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I would say x9 compares more directly with xtr in terms of quality which means x0 is in a whole league of its own.

x0 is pretty much the same as X9 IMO, blingier, lighter and slightly more adjustable but nothing very major, it certainly seems to shift exactly the same as X9.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I've just swapped my shifters and mech on my Giant from LX for X-9. Result? It's a lot quieter and I just love the "thunk" of the gear change rather than wondering if it did actually change.

Massive improvement. Should have done it ages ago.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    i normally describe sram as 'positive' and shimano as 'vague' but no matter how you dice it, sram is better.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited October 2009
    I usually desctibe SRAM as clunky, and Shimano as slick ;-)

Ben, you should know better than bring this up! Now go and ride a singlespeed!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I usually desctibe SRAM as slick, and Shimano as sticky :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    nicklouse wrote:
    I usually desctibe SRAM as slick, and Shimano as sticky :wink:
    :lol:

(X9 for the rear mech & shifters, XT for the cassette & front mech.)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic wrote:
    I usually desctibe SRAM as clunky, and Shimano as slick ;-)

Ben, you should no better than bring this up! Now go and ride a singlespeed!

:lol::lol: I figured we haddn't had a contravercial topic for a while :D

I've never used SRAM shifter/mechs before either... Always used shimano, so was wondering if there is actually any difference.

I'm quite surprised the most people seem to like SRAM though, I was convinced it'd sway more to shimano!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I'm quite surprised the most people seem to like SRAM though, I was convinced it'd sway more to shimano!
    Sram users are taking it easy & posting on here

Shimano users are not able to post on the forum cos they're still fettlling with their gears trying to get them right...

*runs for cover*
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    why? Shimano are still trying to catch up with Sram after shimanos failure with the combined brake lever gear change which happened at the same time as Sram launched the triggers.

and Shimano then failed in the courts trying to stop Sram making them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    why? Shimano are still trying to catch up with Sram after shimanos failure with the combined brake lever gear change which happened at the same time as Sram launched the triggers.

and Shimano then failed in the courts trying to stop Sram making them.

lol honestly never knew that!
  • Andy_B wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Sram users are taking it easy & posting on here

Shimano users are not able to post on the forum cos they're still fettlling with their gears trying to get them right...

*runs for cover*
    :lol::lol:

I have to say.. in defence of shimano... my Saint derailleur/shifter combo is awesome! The derailleur took a beating a week ago and has some battle scars, but is still shifting crisply and directly :)
  • supersonic
    If you want to sample the clunky SRAM top end type shifting, buy some Shimano Altus ;-)
  • hahahaha :lol:
    [stupidly deep voiceover from the tele]
    Its Mod 'v' Mod, SRAM 'v' Shimano... who will come out on top, Nicklouse or Supersonic... only time will tell.
    [/stupidly deep voiceover from the tele]
  • nicklouse
    Ben, I will be changing my XT equipped bike to X9ish shortly.
  • supersonic
    DO you a swap then? I have been waiting to get rid of my X9 for ages now!
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    DO you a swap then? I have been waiting to get rid of my X9 for ages now!

Nope its OK this lot come as new and with match makers and a bike attached to it for other bits.
  • Anonymous
    sonic, your x9 is more acurately described as x7, the nwer stuff is awesome (as it happens, i like the old stuff too)
  • supersonic
    I will hunt down some old Shimano kit - a couple of generation old XT will be fine, or even an old XTR rear mech.
  • Anonymous
    theres nowt wrong with 'fine' shifting, its just i prefer awesome shifting, so i run modern sram.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    to me i cant aggree that shimano is vage and sram is positive, i know what you mean, but i always think sram is clunky and shimano is smooth,slick, and, well just good, to be a gear change should not be acompanied by a loud click and clack and a jerky movement, it should be a seamless trasition onto a mildly harder/softer gear accompanied by a soft click to let you know its happened.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    theres nowt wrong with 'fine' shifting, its just i prefer awesome shifting, so i run modern sram.

You should try Altus ;-). Probably stronger too...