Grrr feeling a bit ripped off, but WMB made me feel better!

RockingDad
RockingDad Posts: 239
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
So I weighed up for a couple of weeks which bike I wanted to get through my works bike to work scheme (with Halfords) and decided on the fury 09. Voucher came through... i'd ordered a £600 one, £529 for the bike a bit extra for a shock pump and some other goodies. Go down and THAT DAY the bike had been put up to £599.... I was well cheesed off, just managed to get the bike thankfully.

That was about three weeks ago and whilst biking along the sea front the other morning my head was freezing so i popped into Halfords today to buy a skull cap to go under my helmet.... picked it off the shelf and walked past my bike on the stand ...Carrera Fury 09 £529...OH F*** OFF! :evil:

Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth somewhat!

Rant over

RockingDad
2010 Carrera Fury
1992 Raleigh Equipe

Comments

• Thats why there known as Halfrauds !
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It happens (and not just at Halfords of course) but it was still a good value bike at the full price, if you want to look at it that way.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • yeah i know and your right :roll:
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    serious question why do people go to halfords. even evans is better value. bikehut stuff makes me larf tesco value quality at finest prices
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Halfrauds are mahoosively over-priced for most things.

Yesterday I bought 5 litres of Castrol Magnatec motor oil for my car from Tescos - £24.99. Same product in Halfords - £27.99 for 4 litres!!! Also, a 21" steel cantilever toolbox - £22.99. Same item £14.99 from Machine Mart.

About the only thing I'll buy willingly from Halfords is their own brand tools (but just the Professional range) which are surprisingly good value for them.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Generally I don't have a problem with Halfords. I think they have a good range of products and with all Items it's up to you if you want to pay their prices. My little rant was due to the fact that i'd ordered the voucher for my bike, price went up, got bike, price went down again. Thats just annoying. With things like tool box's, tools, oil and the such they can only really set the price for their own products and at the end of the day you make your choice and pay the price you think is acceptable.

If my companies bike to work scheme had been with Evans etc then thats where I would have got the bike from but it wasn't. The Carrera Fury is a great bike for the price and i'm very pleased with it. It's a good balance of price and spec.

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Northwind
    diy wrote:
    serious question why do people go to halfords. even evans is better value. bikehut stuff makes me larf tesco value quality at finest prices

Complete crap. Not one part of this post is correct.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    rather than just break verbal wind, why don't you pick a few bike hut things that you think are good quality and value and set me a challenge?
  • Northwind
    Let's start with the bike the OP bought, and the rest of the Carreras :lol: Then move on rapidly to the entire Boardman range, the GT Idrive 5 XCR and 6, most of them class leaders and test winner, and all Bikehut exclusives.

Or, if you want stuff that actually has the Bikehut label on, their finishing kit is made by Tioga and is very good value. The small parts range is mostly Weldtite and is cheaper than you'll find elsewhere. Their prices for Park, Topeak and Cyclo tools are often less than CRC- I got my Hexus there for about 75% the price of it anywhere else. And their consumables are absolutely fine, the brake oil is well priced and works perfectly, the bike spray seems to be identical to the Mucoff stuff and costs 2/3 as much, shall I go on? Not one of these bits are "tesco value quality" and they're all at sensible prices.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RockingDad wrote:
    My little rant was due to the fact that i'd ordered the voucher for my bike, price went up, got bike, price went down again. Thats just annoying.

RockingDad

When I ordered my bike on a Cycle To Work scheme, my local bike shop (not Halfords) gave me a written quote and my application was processed by my employers and the Scheme operators on that basis. The bike shop laid aside the goods (IE the prices were agreed and set when I got the quote).

Presumably Halfords don't operate the same way?
  • Northwind wrote:
    Let's start with the bike the OP bought, and the rest of the Carreras :lol: Then move on rapidly to the entire Boardman range, the GT Idrive 5 XCR and 6, most of them class leaders and test winner, and all Bikehut exclusives.

Or, if you want stuff that actually has the Bikehut label on, their finishing kit is made by Tioga and is very good value. The small parts range is mostly Weldtite and is cheaper than you'll find elsewhere. Their prices for Park, Topeak and Cyclo tools are often less than CRC- I got my Hexus there for about 75% the price of it anywhere else. And their consumables are absolutely fine, the brake oil is well priced and works perfectly, the bike spray seems to be identical to the Mucoff stuff and costs 2/3 as much, shall I go on? Not one of these bits are "tesco value quality" and they're all at sensible prices.
    +1 to each point made here.

The only problem with Halfords can be the staff... however in my local halfords the staff have been getting progressivly better and much more helpful.

I think this stereotype of crap bikes, parts and staff should slowly stop now.

Prices on the other hand can be quite rediculous at times.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Halfords tools are great value, as are most the Carreras and Boardmans. Also remember they stock things other bike shops do and have a huge catalogue of parts to order. Many BikeHut parts are cheaper rebrands of Tioga and other well known manufacturers.
  • Think its harsh really to knock Halfords, I don't think you can beat the convienience of the place, open 7 days and usually till eight at night and pretty much always what you want is in stock.
    Not everyone has an 'Evans' or the like round the corner from them, I know i haven't and all the LBS's round my way are usually well too pricey or just full of rubbish.

Admittedly some of their prices can be dear on some items, but from what i've experienced the things i've brought have been the same price as anywhere else. The staff in my local Halfords were very helpful and clued up on most things i've had to ask them .

I too purchased a Fury last week as like the OP and i am pumped with the bike. Was a bit sceptical at first bout the Carrera but after reading good reviews of the bike and actually seeing the bike in the flesh and having a little ride on the thing, my mind was made up and i got it.

Think it'll be best if i don't actually publish how much i got mine for, think the OP would actually go and burn his local Halfords to the ground!
  • Think it'll be best if i don't actually publish how much i got mine for, think the OP would actually go and burn his local Halfords to the ground!

LOL no it's ok. I agree the bike is awesome and the guy who works in the bike section in my Halfords in Clacton (Chris) is a top bloke and clearly knows his onions.

I gotta know....go on how much (was it the 09 )?

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    The thing that I object to about this situation is the way that prices are manipulated to make them appear good value.

For example (Unfortunately, using Halfords) I was looking at a Carrera Vulcan Disc, with my Brother-in-law, as it was a decent bike within his budget. At the time it was £249 (Can't remember what it was reduced from). He was a bit slow off the mark and, a few weeks later, it went up to £389. Just looked today, and it's £279 - with the advert stating (Up to a 1/3 off all Carrera bikes)

Call me cynical, but it looks like they put it up to £389 just so that when it was repriced at £279 it looked like a price drop, when, in fact it's gone up by £30 from a few weeks back.

It's very much like those national sofa companies who are constantly having a sale - just heard an advert, this week, that states there is £400 off their 2010 collection - how the hell can the prices be reduced on something that has only just be released?

This brings me neatly back to the bike industry - why are bikes that are currently on sale referred to as 2010 models? (There are another 2 1/2 months to go yet, for pity's sake!)

Rant over - just wish that the marketing weasels would just give it a rest, so that I don't have to constantly analyse their words to get to the truth.

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    good point belugabob , the marketing tricks companies use with pricing is treating the customer as if they're stupid.
  • Northwind
    Very true, I stick up for Halfords where I can out of a sense of mischief, but their price manipulation is a mix of annoying, dishonest and insulting. Poor guy who owned my Kraken before me bought it at the inflated price, he said "It was £450 new" when we were bargaining and I had to tell him it was only £350 now.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RockingDad wrote:
    I gotta know....go on how much (was it the 09 )?

I give £479 for my 09' they were doing 20% off at the time. But to be honest still think £529 is still good.

But with this price thing up and down all the time, lost count how many times the oliday companys have done it to me. Book it up one month, then check the next and its gone down!! Just the way it goes ain't it!
  • diy
    So you are in agreement now :?

I was specifically referring to the bike hut branded gear, I've bought tools oils lubes etc. from them...

compare their clothing, hydro packs helmets etc.. its lidl and aldi quality (which are fine btw) but at altura and endura prices. Plus the staff have little knowledge, they charge top wack for branded items too.

fine for a spanner of a kids bike but if I'm not going to buy of the web I want really good advice and I wont get that from them yet.
  • supersonic
    It is not a black and white case really. Also stores vary in quality of staff.

I can't agree with the up and down bike pricing though, especially with the budget bikes ie Trax and Apollo.
  • Northwind
    diy wrote:
    I was specifically referring to the bike hut branded gear, I've bought tools oils lubes etc. from them...

Quite a lot of which is bike hut branded :? Like any other shop, some of their kit is better value than others but for the stuff that matters- everyday consumables, and the actual bikes- they're excellent value, I don't think that can be denied.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • When I was younger, Halfords was a mainly a bike shop - not particularly great but that was what they did. They seem to have forgotten who the customers were that got them to the size they are now. They've ignored the cyclists in favour of stupid chavs with huge stereo's, 5" diameter exhausts and neon lights under their Nova's/Saxo's.
    I listened to a conversation in a store recently and if the guy being taught is going to be a 'bike mechanic', God help us. Everytime I look for something, it's always been expensive. SRAM chains at least £5 more for a lower model. Sadly i had to fork out for an inner tube in there the other day. Never again.
    Let's face it, very few people that have any idea about bikes would honestly call it their LBS (or even admit to it if they WERE that daft).

Price check

PC991
    Halfords £34.99 :(
    CRC £23.00
    Evans £24.99

PC991 cross step
    Halfords £38.99 :(
    CRC £27.99
    Evans £27.99

PC991 hollow pin
    Halfords £45.99 :( - how do they justify the extra £14? Can Halfords staff explain please?
    CRC£31.99
    Evans£31.99

Let's hear it for Halfords 'value' - NOT
    Iron Horse Azure Expert
    Giant Trance 3
    Scott G-Zero FX
  • supersonic
    Anyone can select a few items that are overpriced from any store.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I totally agree. Do you believe they have some real fantastic deals that I should rush to take advantage of then? That was just a minor part of the post but can you really justify the last item being 43% more expensive? All major retailers in any field do it. I bought a Canon zoom lens from a one shop Canon Pro dealer for £220 less than Argos were selling it. Sadly many people wrongly assume that the big players will automatically be cheaper.
    How about some constructive criticism on the rest of the comment instead of a cheap one-liner?
    Iron Horse Azure Expert
    Giant Trance 3
    Scott G-Zero FX
  • diy
    TBH I don't think the enthusiast is really their target market - I think they are more of a family/kids/beginner type outfit. The sort of people who will believe them when they tell them to make sure both feet can touch the ground when adjusting the saddle height.
  • M.C.
    M.C. Posts: 28
    I'm not going to comment on Halfords in particular, but a business has the right to sell goods at the price they see fit. They are running a business to make money, not be a public service and if they can make more money by selling units at a higher price then good for them. If I could get away with charging more for the product I sell I wouldn't hesitate. If sales drop as a result they will react.

Everybody has the same opportunities to search around for better prices, but some choose not to and by default they will probably pay a greater price.

On the original subject, I do sympathise as you may be forced to buy through the Halfords scheme. Did you try different Halfords stores? When my colleague and I were going to buy a Fury each, we were treated differently at every store we dropped into from one saying they do no deals to one offering £100 of each bike if we bought two.
  • supersonic
    globalfish wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I totally agree. Do you believe they have some real fantastic deals that I should rush to take advantage of then? That was just a minor part of the post but can you really justify the last item being 43% more expensive? All major retailers in any field do it. I bought a Canon zoom lens from a one shop Canon Pro dealer for £220 less than Argos were selling it. Sadly many people wrongly assume that the big players will automatically be cheaper.
    How about some constructive criticism on the rest of the comment instead of a cheap one-liner?

I have mentioned in this thread earlier about the value of certain items. Picking out a few items of expensive stuff does not make them overall a bad value retailer (you said Halfords were not good value, seemingly based on three items). It wasn't a cheap one liner, but was more about how you reached a conclusion of the whole store. Quite a bit is good value, but I admit a lot isn't.

A lot of stuff from CRC and Merlin is OE - which is why they can sell it cheaper. Halfords is more expensive in some areas, and the chains and some drivetrain equipment is very expensive - but the bikes are about the best value out there. The Halfords bike toolkit is great, and currently cheaper than the generic versions sold elsewhere, and land on the 3 for 2 offers and you can pick up some bargains. Often they have tyres on offer, as well as deals on commuter locks and lights. The wheels are decent value too - pairs of dsic wheels from 60 quid, and a rebadged XERO set.

It depends what you want - but saying they are not good value is somewhat a sweeping statement, and paints the wrong picture of the store overall.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228852

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228368
  • Back to the original post about the price of the bike. When I got my voucher for my cycle to work scheme. The bike I wanted was set aside for me at the agreed price along with my accessories so I got exactly what I wanted with my voucher when it dropped through the post. Do halfords not set aside your bike when you go in and decide what you want? I had to list all the things I was buying and the individual prices when I submitted my application for a voucher.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • globalfish wrote:
    When I was younger, Halfords was a mainly a bike shop - not particularly great but that was what they did.

when i was young they were a car parts shop. they did bikes later on no?

anyway, prices go up and down on all 'luxury' products. it's marketing. my wife works for clarks and is forever getting people complaining they bought a shoe last week, for it to be reduced the next week.

if you think something is worth the money, buy it, if not, don't. vote with your feet, not hot air on the internet, and if something's been reduced since buying it, just get on with it. life's too short to worry about the fact someone, somewhere, paid a bit less for something you thought was worth what you paid for it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    globalfish wrote:
    When I was younger, Halfords was a mainly a bike shop
    You must be getting on a bit! 8)
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.