Neo-Guards...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Do fack all... save your £.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I made one out of one of those neoprene pencil cases! Not much use, but at least it was free.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    I split an innertube down the middle and cable-tied it to my forks. Bike cost £1400 but I have to say its been the best upgrade I've made to it and have hardly used my clear Bloc glasses since. Amazing the amount of dirt, mud etc its kept out. The simple things eh....
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Do fack all... save your £.

Mine does the job it was designed for, very well too :) looks ridiculous tho
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Tel39 wrote:
    I split an innertube down the middle and cable-tied it to my forks.

I did the same last week. It ain't pretty, but it does an okay job :)
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    asdfhjkl wrote:
    Tel39 wrote:
    I split an innertube down the middle and cable-tied it to my forks.

I did the same last week. It ain't pretty, but it does an okay job :)

+1
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    After seeing all the crap on the rear of mine and not all over my face convinced me that £13 was well spent on the 1st ride 8)
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Tel39 wrote:
    I split an innertube down the middle and cable-tied it to my forks. Bike cost £1400 but I have to say its been the best upgrade I've made to it and have hardly used my clear Bloc glasses since. Amazing the amount of dirt, mud etc its kept out. The simple things eh....

+3
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Mine has done the hobbits designed for... Do think they are a little expensive for what they are tho
  • I made a very neat one out of some black rubber pond liner, it works a treat and looks far tidier than a neoguard. It's very effective and coupled with a crud guard on the downtube it's all I need to keep my eyes free of trail sh1t.
  • Mine works great. I used to have an old innertube ziptied there instead, it was a bit ghetto but it worked ok.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i improvised with an innertube the other day when it started raining it cost me nothing and it keeps about 95% of the shite out of my face :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    In what way doesn't it work? Mine's been great, particularly good when you're on a flat trail doing an impression of a stream and you're tanking along, no more face wash moments for me.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Whytepeak
    bigbenj_08

You had nothing but praise for neoguards a while back, what caused you to change your mind?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    bigbenj_08

You had nothing but praise for neoguards a while back, what caused you to change your mind?
    i'd never used it in really wet/mudd conditions!!

For starters it gives very minimal protection. I still ended up with a load of crap in my face... and all the mud is thrown onto your fork stanchions.

Secondly it stretches like hell. I've ridden with mine posibly 5 times now, and the neoprene has stretched and sagged so it just ends up fowling on your tyre. Especially sags when its wet...

I took it off 1/2 way round the trails yesterday and noticed no increase in face mud splatter and obviously had no rubbin on my tyre.

Just because it gets muddy doesn't mean its actually doing what they say it does.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    ^ Bang on the money. Which is why I ended up using the SKS Shockboard for rainy liquid sheepshit conditions. That style of guard might look ugly but it works, so it stayed.
  • Whytepeak
    Does this mean you will be buying the new crud catcher peaty thing? :lol:
  • nope... glasses :D
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    and a gimp muzzle :shock:
  • I've found that glasses only really work in the dry; in the wet they get muddy in seconds and are useless.
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    I agree El Loco glasses are great in the dry but as soon as it's wet mud splatters render them useless!!
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Great piece of kit - way overpriced for what it is though!

Rode on saturday through a stormcloud and had to remove my glasses due to too much rain! My crud catchers and the Neoguard worked well together so I could at least still see where I was going - which is more than my mate could say...

This is my second winter with the Neoguard and I'm satisfied so far.

If the neoguard rubs on your tyre, you might have the wrong size...
    Not really active
  • It's the right size... I'm not that dumb!
  • this is my ghetto version, which I actually think is neater.

33lmhw8.jpg
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    this is my ghetto version, which I actually think is neater.

33lmhw8.jpg

That's not neater it's just cheaper :-)

I have the neo evil eyes, looks good, love it and works well, not overly expensive IMO, these things have to be developed and patented etc, not as easy as you may think.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    _Ferret_ wrote:

If the neoguard rubs on your tyre, you might have the wrong size...

I've got a Spesh enduro SL with the E-150 fork.The clearence between the fork brace and tyre isn't big enough to get your fingers in so the velcro straps rubbed on the tyre.I cut off the straps and used tie-wraps instead 8) Also IIRC the neo-guard website size chart stated i need a large,a ordered a medium by mistake but it fits perfectly :D
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Sorry - didn't mean to offend about the size question.

Just can't imagine that you can get yours to rub on your tyre!

Did you try fastening the velcro straps... :wink:
    Not really active
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    It's the right size... I'm not that dumb!

Do you know that you are meant to fit it with the forks compressed slightly so it stretches back out again.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    It does what it is supposed to and looks better than an innertube zip tied on.

I run a small on 140mm pikes and it is fine. Rubs at bit on 120mm Revs on my other bike, but to be fair that should have a XS one. I'm not buying two, I can live with the occasional rub.

Those peaty guard things are ugly as hell. as are the moto jobbies. Looks like a frigging kids bike with pretend motorbike bits on.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    Sorry - didn't mean to offend about the size question.

Just can't imagine that you can get yours to rub on your tyre!

Did you try fastening the velcro straps... :wink:
    lol take no notice... i'm a grumpy bastid sometimes

I seem to be constantly adjusting and tightening the velcro straps! I'll get it tight before a ride, but after about 20 mins the velcro twists round and the actual guard sags and hits my tyre.

You can even see stretch marks on the guard itsself when its not on the bike!
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with a red-neak mud flap!!!

Rubber bath mat and a few cable ties, no need for glasses any more 8)

No the best looking upgrade but it works a treat... especially with the winter mud well on the way.