Sky on pinarello

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Tusher wrote:
    Is this a bit of a kick in the teeth for Chris Boardman, or did his company simply not have the capacity/wealth/research dept to supply Sky?

I think he's said himself that he's far too small at the moment as a brand/company to do something on a Pro-Tour scale.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://twitter.com/lionelbirnie/status/4740850144

Looks like Pinarello and Shimano :cry:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    The blue/white (sky colours) pinarello that was circulated recently looked quite cool. Where did that come from? Was it leaked? Or a cheeky model from pinarello? Or just photoshopped?

No, please not MORE blue.

I''m allergic to the blues, I get these tear drops in my eyes'
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    jrduquemin wrote:
    No Shimano or Sram, it has to be Campag on Pinarello :-)
    Whay not, I got dura ace on mine and its perfect.
    I also took the charisma wheels off (corima) and put dura ace wheels on.
    Lush
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    marco67 wrote:
    I thought Pinarello were based in Treviso?

They are. Campagnolo are based in Vicenza. Neither of which are anywhere near Varese.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    why ruin an italian thoroughbred with jap junk? :(
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260

Hardly junk is it.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    How about full FSA as they are entering the groupset market?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    How about full FSA as they are entering the groupset market?

No no no. They don't have the heritage do they? If a frame is from an Italian marque it must be blessed only by a truly superlative offering from the mighty Campagnolo. If it doesn't, then it is heresy. All who ride such hideous chimeras should be strung up by their bibshorts and be made to chant "I have sinned" in Italian.

:twisted:
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844

Two questions.
    How is a frame made in taiwan an italian thoroughbred?

Dura-ace is junk? I think not.

This kind of ridiculous snobbery is exactly why I did not buy an "italian" bike or thorougbred or whatever. Mostly paying for the name IMO.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • fast as fupp
    wicked wrote:

Two questions.

This kind of ridiculous snobbery is exactly why I did not buy an "italian" bike or thorougbred or whatever. Mostly paying for the name IMO.

you have no soul
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    marco67 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:
    No Shimano or Sram, it has to be Campag on Pinarello :-)

I believe Pinarello insist on this, both companies are from Varese.

This prompted me to dig out my copy of 'les Velos Mythiques de la Tour de France'.

Jan's 1997 Pinarello is a lovely piece of kit.

I thought Pinarello were based in Treviso?

Aye, you're right, Pinarello are based in Treviso, north of Milan. Furthermore Campagnolo makes their stuff in Vicenza, not too far away from Venice.

campag5.jpg
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Treviso is just north of Venice, not Milan.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    andyp wrote:
    Treviso is just north of Venice, not Milan.

You're right ! :D

I should've known as I've cycled through there often enough. It's Varese that's north of Milan.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    wicked wrote:

Two questions.

you have no soul

I see the appeal in history and heritage. I really do. If the bike was made in italy by some 60 year old aritsan who has been doing it for 40 years then great! But it isn't is it? Its made in the same taiwanese factory as certain other brands that some people would turn their nose up at. The heritage is in the name only. Nice work for these "prestige " brands, get the frame made on the cheap in the far east whilst still charging hand made in europe prices! Nice.
    If you like your frame (wilier?) then great but it is not compulsory to have campag just because the fram happens to have been painted in italy!

You didn't answer either question.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • fast as fupp
    the taiwanese frames are blessed by his holiness upon arrival in italy- they thus become italian

shimano cycle parts and FISHING TACKLE is made from inferior recycled metal just like japanese cars
  • Which is why Italian cars are so much more reliable and durable than Japanese cars...duh!

:roll:
  • fast as fupp
    DamianL wrote:
    Which is why Italian cars are so much more reliable and durable than Japanese cars...duh!

:roll:

yes

and more reliable than britis........................oh! :shock:
  • Just because something comes from the same factory doesnt mean its the same quality that being said i dont see the problem with mixing italian bikes with jap gruppo's. I personally have a chorus gruppo but am thinking ill check out sram on the next bike. Was hoping Sky would go something really left feild but then they probably went with who paid them the most money.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, they can't really ruin the look of the bikes.... all the high end Pinarellos Ive seen lately look like someones mixed 5% Mozarella into the carbon then stood them next to a radiator a few a few hours. Don't have any 'italian style' to me... who's got the wonkiest looking levers? ...put them on there. :)
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    mercsport wrote:
    Furthermore Campagnolo makes their stuff in Vicenza, not too far away from Venice.

campag5.jpg

And in Romania (carbon bits).

And in Asia (entry-level bits).*

Neither of which are very near anywhere Italian. Kind of fits in with Pinarello though - Italian heritage but outsourced production - so yes it should be Campagnolo on the Sky Pinarellos.

*Source: Valentino Campagnolo interview, here:
    http://www.bike-eu.com/public/file/archive/20080220-bike_europe_interview_campagnolo2.pdf
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    You really want to know where bikes are made?!

I suggest you read this article. It is very revealing.

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I personally couldn't give a monkey's armpit where the frames are made just so long as the quality of the frame is commensurate with the price you pay for it.
    It's well known that companies such as Giant manufacture frames for the likes of Specialized, they've been doing it for years.
    Pinarello frames are manufactured in Asia by Torayca, one of the biggest players in carbon composite technology, supplying much of the aviation industry.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • They had the dogma in blue at the cycle show in london this weekend and also the prince was on show with the Di2 on it.

Shimano had some bikes on their stand with Di2 on turbos so people could try them out and every big manufacturer had a top end bike with the group on it.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Taiwan and Japan are successful manufacturers not only because of cost, but because of quality, something that went missing from many European manufacturers long ago..

Shimano = Jap Junk, oh yeah, for sure that's an accurate statement - NOT
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I personally couldn't give a monkey's armpit where the frames are made just so long as the quality of the frame is commensurate with the price you pay for it.
    It's well known that companies such as Giant manufacture frames for the likes of Specialized, they've been doing it for years.
    Pinarello frames are manufactured in Asia by Torayca, one of the biggest players in carbon composite technology, supplying much of the aviation industry.

Are you sure about this? I've been told that by guys at Giant that they make them...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • incog24 wrote:
    I personally couldn't give a monkey's armpit where the frames are made just so long as the quality of the frame is commensurate with the price you pay for it.

Are you sure about this? I've been told that by guys at Giant that they make them...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road- ... -4281.html

Hope this helps.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • fast as fupp
    dougzz wrote:
    Taiwan and Japan are successful manufacturers not only because of cost, but because of quality, something that went missing from many European manufacturers long ago..

Shimano = Jap Junk, oh yeah, for sure that's an accurate statement - NOT

yep-japanese junk- wouldnt have it near any of my bikes :lol:
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    the taiwanese frames are blessed by his holiness upon arrival in italy- they thus become italian

That's it, if the catholic church is involved I'm definitely binning my pinarello :lol:
  • fast as fupp

That's it, if the catholic church is involved I'm definitely binning my pinarello :lol:

you will BURN IN HELL! :evil:

sinner repent!