Sky on pinarello

wicked
wicked Posts: 844
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Bit of a badly kept secret but confirmed.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 32,00.html
It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Nice, they will have something stylish to ride. Here's hoping the don't put ugly Sram on it.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Couldn't have picked a better bike.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Nice.
  • No Shimano or Sram, it has to be Campag on Pinarello :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    It's nice to see a British Team choosing frames that look like old Curly Hetchins
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Is this a bit of a kick in the teeth for Chris Boardman, or did his company simply not have the capacity/wealth/research dept to supply Sky?
  • jrduquemin wrote:
    No Shimano or Sram, it has to be Campag on Pinarello :-)

I believe Pinarello insist on this, both companies are from Varese.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    jrduquemin wrote:

This prompted me to dig out my copy of 'les Velos Mythiques de la Tour de France'.

Jan's 1997 Pinarello is a lovely piece of kit.

Strava is not Zen.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    jrduquemin wrote:

That makes sense, but why do the put out the FP3 with sora? :shock: (vomit)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Tusher wrote:
    Is this a bit of a kick in the teeth for Chris Boardman, or did his company simply not have the capacity/wealth/research dept to supply Sky?

I suspect this deal has cost Pinarello many €s, way outside Boardman's budget. His brand is a victim of british cycling's success, and the way Alistair Brownlee and Hollie Avil are going at the moment his sponsorship of british triathlon is likely to cost him more next year :D
  • calvjones wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:

This prompted me to dig out my copy of 'les Velos Mythiques de la Tour de France'.

I have the Campagnolo coffee table book which has some gorgeous shots of Pinarellos bedecked in Super Record and some lovely ones of 80s and 90s bikes too. My girlfriend has grown to have a stern hatred of that book, except the phrase "large flange" which she finds ever so amusing. :?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    No Shimano or Sram, it has to be Campag on Pinarello Smile

Then why is the picture on the Sky page of a Pinarello with Shimano? Sacrilege if you ask me.

Can someone explain to me how you do the quote thing? I haven't advanced beyond cut and paste.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Press the icon_quote.gif button.

Factory Pinarellos do come with Shimano. At least they have some very nice frames, stylish in their design and paint schemes, they perform well too. Colnago seem to have lost their way recently, Pinarellos seem more exclusive these days.

I wonder how much the split is between Varese and the UK importer? When you visit a foreign country its very common to see riders in replica kit. Now there is a British team it'll be interesting to see how many adopt their colours.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Press the icon_quote.gif button.

Factory Pinarellos do come with Shimano. At least they have some very nice frames, stylish in their design and paint schemes, they perform well too. Colnago seem to have lost their way recently, Pinarellos seem more exclusive these days.

I wonder how much the split is between Varese and the UK importer? When you visit a foreign country its very common to see riders in replica kit. Now there is a British team it'll be interesting to see how many adopt their colours.

Would be awesome to see the kind of travelling support the Belgian teams get.

@gietvangent
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Thanks guys. How stupid of me. I was trying to do it with the quote box at the bottom of the page where you write your comment. Couldn't see the wheel for the spokes.
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    The top of the line Pina comes with Di2, not SR.

Isn't one of the top US teams on Pina's with Sram/TRP, etc?
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    sorry, i was thinking of the team that ride on Parlee's. how they are 6.8 i'll never guess...

was recycling.co.uk on campag too?
  • The blue/white (sky colours) pinarello that was circulated recently looked quite cool. Where did that come from? Was it leaked? Or a cheeky model from pinarello? Or just photoshopped?
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Found it...

Pinarello-Sky-bike.jpg

Looks like it was a cheeky pre-announcement release from pinarello!
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The blue/white (sky colours) pinarello that was circulated recently looked quite cool. Where did that come from? Was it leaked? Or a cheeky model from pinarello? Or just photoshopped?

It was a cheeky model. I think Brailsford has been riding around Manchester on it.
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    Tusher wrote:

No, they wanted the riders to receive their bikes before the 3 year deal ended
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    When you go to their website there is an announcement about this that pops up.

http://www.pinarello.com/eng/index_eng.php
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Not really old news Frenchy. The previous thread was a rumour, this is confirmed.

Lovely bikes though.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I spoke with a GB rider recently and was told they had Scott and Giant bikes floating around GB headquarters recently for testing/assessment. He told me he suspected it was going to be Pinarello - but I don't think the final decision was made until very recently. The GB team should get the same equipment as the SKY team.
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    calvjones wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:

I thought Pinarello were based in Treviso?
    Ciao Marco
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    But built in Taiwan then sent to Italy for painting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nice frames but I hate the wiggly forks and seat stays, they look gash
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Would have thought that Sky would be on Dogma's not Prince?

At least Russ Downing will feel at home!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It was Boardman's insistance that Halfords provided the Service Course that killed it for them - can you imagine them turning up with their forks on the wrong-way round! :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..