Knee pads on 'average terrain'....do you wear them ?

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited October 2009 in MTB general
A poll in a way, but do some folks wear knee pads all the time, even on less technical terrain such as my local trail 'Timberland'?

I ask as I am a road cyclist too and I am recovering from being hit by a car. Quite bad, hand, shoulder and knee took the damage and made me realise that as much fun as MTB is and going over the bars occasionally is a kick, getting hurt, really hurt by a car is not. So, this week I bought some new knee pads and am going to start wearing them over in Wales etc, but am thinking are they too much for lesser places or is it just preserving what I have now?

As before my local local rides are not too bad but one bad line and you can bust anything I suppose.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Pete.

Comments

• fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    everywhere except the road. reason being i injured my knee trying to do a wheelie in the car park round the road from my house (yes i am aware i'm a grown woman! :) ) and it still hurts sometimes so better safe than sorry. plus mine are really comfy!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yeah, anything other than a ride to the shops.

I have knee/shin pads and run flats, I've taken lumps outta my shins with pedal pins on easy rides over the years.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, because I've been a crippo before and it'd be a bit too easy to do it again. Knees are handy things to have for a cyclist really. I always say the same thing- they're exposed, they're complicated, they're not especially strong, they're weight bearing, they don't heal well and they're one of the bits you land on.

Though it's everyone's own choice of course, my knees are fragile now so I choose to wear my pads. I don't really feel there's a downside to wearing them mind. That's the clincher, with oldfashioned uncomfy pads I'd feel different I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    whenever i take my bike off road i wear knee shins after taking a chunk off my knee and damaging my ligaments in a fall and they keep my legs warm on cold days :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • bristolpete
    Sweet - some quick positive replies there. I have decided to wear them but did not want to think people were looking at me thinking 'ponce'. Common sense is good I think and the older you get the more fragile you become. I will look at shin guards and full face next I think, but as and when.

Furthermore is it considered silly to wear full face if you just like fast trails such as afan and Cwmcarn ? My Giro Zen is solid enough, but I think FF looks the dog bollox and see many people wearing them.....
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    you can wear whatever you want FF do get hot but when your up to speed they're fine

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • flamedude
    flamedude Posts: 119
    I only put my knees on if its properly off-road. If I'm just working up a sweat through some rambling trails I don't bother. Probably should wear them though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm more likely to have a proper crash on the easy backtrails near mine than I would on a more challenging trail, that's how I bust my ribs after all, "Done this a thousand times, might as well look at the scenery..." BOOM! :oops: And it's really embarassing when it happens :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I don't own any pads.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I wear a full face helmet, carbon fiber gloves as well as knee, shin and elbow pads (and thinking about a core saver and shorts)whenever I go for a ride, usually off road and like the idiot I am. I've come off before and know it will happen again if people think poser they are wrong, all the gear no idea is about right. Point being is if I was really good then I wouldn't need as much protection :wink: My view is I'd rather not be messed up and not able to work for the sake of vanity, the only reason for me not to would be comfort or restricted movement but they don't seem to be an issue.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I don't wear them. Maybe I should, but that has no bearing on your decision.

do as you wish and wear what you feel comfortable with. If you find kneepads that are as comfortable for trail riding as wearing none let us know, it's a bit of a holy grail.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Nopes, never.

I only wear armour at Trail Centres, even then, nothign on legs.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Knee pads on 'average terrain'....do you wear them ?
    Err...no.

The exception is when it's really cold/dark, then I wear them just to keep warm. Still toying with the idea of wearing a FF on 'average terrain' for pretty much the same reasons.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    it sounds silly but some of the biggest crashes iv had, and some of the most knee/shin destroying (if it hadent been for the pads) have happened on my local ride(s) it often suprises the life out of you when you go to the park to hit some tiny wall drops,roots and 10m singletrack sections and you get home with deep (and i mean deep) gouges in the extra tough thermo-plastic of your pads.
    so yes, i do always wear them.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Yeah always wear the knee pads, I don't like elbow pads though. I wear armour and a FF when doing DH though. Some people feel more manly by not wearing anything, hey that's their choice. The best advice I could give is do what YOU want to do.
  • I wear mine all the time after a bad crash resulting in a hospital stay and tendon damage to my knee.
    Prob more for confidence i think as i still get very nervous descending, 3 months on
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Hi Pete

I was thinking the same thing just the other week.... so I've taken the plunge and bought some Knee/shin pads from Halfords.... not tried them yet so have no idea if they'll be comfy or not. They're made by 661 so am hoping their half decent.

See here: http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bik ... a505693974

But whizzing round some local trail centres up here, like Lee Quarry, you can do an awful lot of damage with just a minor off. No soft landings anywhere :lol: .

There's a full face helmet I've seen that's styled more like a standard cycle helmet, but with a cheek/chin guard. Can't remember the name of it.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Just this minute got in from a blast around the Timberland :P . You really can't see the roots for the leaves, rather slippy. Pads wouldn't be out of place there as it's so rooty in places. I own a pair of knee / shin pads that I've never worn - couple of times I've taken them to more gnarly rides only for them to stay in the car.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    mac man wrote:
    Hi Pete

I was thinking the same thing just the other week.... so I've taken the plunge and bought some Knee/shin pads from Halfords.... not tried them yet so have no idea if they'll be comfy or not. They're made by 661 so am hoping their half decent.

See here: http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bik ... a505693974

But whizzing round some local trail centres up here, like Lee Quarry, you can do an awful lot of damage with just a minor off. No soft landings anywhere :lol: .

There's a full face helmet I've seen that's styled more like a standard cycle helmet, but with a cheek/chin guard. Can't remember the name of it.
    those things are OK, i used to have some, youd be better off with these:
    http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/AutoFor ... 58464F.jpg
    i use them and they are sooooo much comfyer than the 661's. they used to be called "standard knee"
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The skin on my knees is like paper due to tar burn from my motorcycle days. I always wear (661 Kyle Strait) knee pads when ride off road. When I do blacktop rides I don't wear pads, but in my opinion my knees are probably more at risk when I ride on tarmac.
    I also wear elbow pads off road too and sometimes a 661 Pressure Suit body armour if I am riding through a densely wooded area like some of the singletrack at Swinley, again due to old rib injuries.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I tend to wear them when heading off to Wales or the Peaks, especially if I know somewhere is going to be rocky.

I had mine on at the weekend when we did Cader Idris - ditched it on the descent and I was glad I had my Knee pads on.

Also when at the Cli-machx.

They don't make riding any harder but sure as hell make up for themselves if you land knee first on anything hard/sharp/pointy
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    Been thinking about this myself, I wore some need pads for a bit after a bad knee injury, but didn't really feel very comfortable with them.

I was thinking of getting some more for the days I am riding more technical stuff, what would you guys recommend.

I will also have a search through old posts just in case this has been a regular topic.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i have a friend who wore a full face helmet for a whole year on xc before getting an xc helmet, i never once took the piss tho. im someone who has been knocked unconscious a few times so i think if someone wants to play it safe and pad up then let them and why should they feel embarrassed to do so.

personally i wear thin neoprene knee pads and a piss pot helmet for xc, i rarely crash but when i do its not normally pretty bad and involves at least a week off riding :oops:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • bristolpete
    Cheers all, nice to know we dont all live on vain. Prevention as ever, is better than a cure.

Have my knee pads now, but will def think about full face as the winter takes hold. I quite like the idea of it and seeing photos here and in various mags makes you think....

Heck, I am getting old LOL.

Cheers again,

Pete.
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    i've been considering them for our local wood trails as I've had a few too many DMR V8 v's shin incidents and the shin looses every time!

wouldn't wear them for or XC stuff on bridleways though, at the end of the day theres always a chance of a crash where ever you ride so how far do you go, motorbike leathers?
  • bristolpete
    bigmart wrote:
    i've been considering them for our local wood trails as I've had a few too many DMR V8 v's shin incidents and the shin looses every time!

wouldn't wear them for or XC stuff on bridleways though, at the end of the day theres always a chance of a crash where ever you ride so how far do you go, motorbike leathers?

Good question and I suppose the answer is would you ride somewhere like Cwmcarn on a 125CC MB without protection. If yes then why do it on a bike which can crash as equally at 40mph + and not have protection. As I said, this has all come about since a nasty road accident which has really made me want to conserve my cycling for as long as poss.
  • wear my knee pads whereever I ride. and a helmet. and gloves.

Kinda feel stupid and unprotected if I don't.

One that got me was after a big off at grizedale, some older xc guys were sniggering at me wearing knee pads.
    So i went and showed them my wrist and elbow (wrist had a tennisball size lump on it and my elbow was cut and bruising had already started to come up) and explained how my pads saved my knees.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Not all the time, but I'm wearing them more and more, especially after falling off on a stupidly easy and unchallenging bit last week and ending up with scabby kness like a 10 year old - again......
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wear my knee pads when I go to Cannock chase, and if im out at night on a local ride. Partly because it's dark so no-one will think I look silly, partly because they keep my knees nice and warm, and partly because if I'm going to fall off a destroy a knee I'd rather it wasn't in the pitch dark!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I have just got some 661 race pads for knee\shin and elbow. No probs comfort wise. Was originally going to go for lighter ones, but my mate Andy came off in a fairly minor accident with some of the neoprene 661's on. Clipped a rock with his knee, 17 stitches (8 odd of which were underneath the skin!) and no biking for 9 weeks. I myself have broken my radius twice and really not wanting to ad to that tally!

I thought, if i'm going to bother wearing any, they should be good and strong. Addmittedly they can be a bit hot at first, but when you've been riding for an hour or 2 you forget all about them. I'm not Peaty and expect to come off again, so am happy to take the sour looks or "all the gear no idea" stuff if it means i'm not crippled!