Giro 2010

2»

Comments

• throwing a strop in the 2003 Tour during which his team car refused to let him quit. He went on to win a stage at Aix 3 Domains in a 2 up sprint with Richard Virenque.

Nit picking time again :)

It was in Loudenvielle, Virenque sewed up the KOM jersey. Sastre won at Ax 3 Domaines I think, when Ullrich dropped Armstrong for the first time.

I don't know why I do it either ...
  • throwing a strop in the 2003 Tour during which his team car refused to let him quit. He went on to win a stage at Aix 3 Domains in a 2 up sprint with Richard Virenque.

Nit picking time again :)

It was in Loudenvielle, Virenque sewed up the KOM jersey. Sastre won at Ax 3 Domaines I think, when Ullrich dropped Armstrong for the first time.

I don't know why I do it either ...

You are correct. It's not beign at home to check on my 2003 DVD... Who was the Alessio rider with them?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber wrote:
    Ricco, Simoni, Di Lucca, Mazzoleni, Piepoli were all found with masking agents. This suggests they were using the same technique and intriguingly, the same doctor.

This is what we all know. What I wonder about is why CONI targetted Di Luca and Mazzoleni, but the others were left to get CERA'd or not.
    As a story, it didn't seem to generate the usual media feeding frenzy.

Anyhow, Simoni got the Spanish OP special treatment, so, he's OK and qualifies for the FF hard done by award.

Awarding phantom titles or podium spots to other riders is all a bit spurious, given what we think we know, but are unable to support, with irrefutable proof.

It's all a game.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • You are correct. It's not beign at home to check on my 2003 DVD... Who was the Alessio rider with them?

Don't know who he was riding for, but wasn't it Dickie's old mucker, Laurent Dufaux?

Just checked, yes to both.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Getting all worked up about this light hearted comment Blazing!!

I know the results stand as is and I don't propose to change them. Simply I am saying that it is to Schleck's credit that he came second in the 2nd hardest race in the World behind a doper when he was aged only 22. If you think otherwise then more for you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    There's a pretty good chance Ceramica will be invited so the Cobra will be back.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Back on topic, the full route for the Giro should be released in early December.

Yeah it normally is, but for some reason I'm sure I read somewhere the 24th October. Or have I imagined that :?

*Edit* Just checked and on Steephill it does indeed say the 24th October, presentation taking place in Amsterdam.
  • Getting all worked up about this light hearted comment Blazing!!
    Not really. I never take anything you say, too seriously.

Just thought there was more mileage in debating Gibo's lost podiums, than Schleckette's one.
  • Blimey just reminded myself of the Podium in 2002, Blazing Saddles.
    1.Savoldelli
    2. Hamilton
    3. Cauccioli.

Just goes to show that it's a lottery, this playing the doping game.

Here's a rundown of that race's black marks...
    Italian Nicola Chesini is arrested by police after the fifth stage as part of a probe into the sale of performance-enhancing drugs.

Race favorite and 2000 winner Stefano Garzelli tests positive for the banned diuretic and masking agent probenecid and is expelled from the race. He is given a nine-month ban.

Gilberto Simoni, the 2001 champion, tests positive for cocaine. He is withdrawn from the Giro but is later cleared by the Italian Cycling Federation.

Italian Roberto Sgambelluri and Russian Faat Zakirov become first professional cyclists to be caught using NESP -- an improved form of EPO -- and quit the Giro

Nothing changes. Chesini rode for Panaria, who became CSF Navi's and we had Sella and his drug selling team mate.

Point is, with hindsight, two convicts made the podium and Gibo, probably wrongly, in this case, IMO, got a walk but was out of the race.

Talking of which, we have "Teflon" Savoldelli. Rode for some of the dodgiest outfits on the planet, had a yo-yo career, but is universally loved for his descending, so gets a free pass....well, more or less.

Like it or not, history can re-write itself and we get stuck with the outcome. :(
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Talking of which, we have "Teflon" Savoldelli. Rode for some of the dodgiest outfits on the planet, had a yo-yo career, but is universally loved for his descending, so gets a free pass....well, more or less.

And you forgot his prepatore....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    2008 Tour: Piepoli and Ricco at Hautacam
    corvos_piepoli_wins_stage-10.jpg

Btw thats not Ricco the other guy in that picture won a stage in last months Vuelta and was in a break in Mendrisio ........i give you Mr Cobo Acebo

610x.jpg
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You're quite right MG.

Cobo caused a stir when he won the Tour of the Basque country 2007, rumours were circulating that the SD team were on a new and undetectable form of EPO. I can't find the quote to hand but one of the French riders said this out loud.

Nothing came of this until Ricco was busted over a year later.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    anuul
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Whilst checking for what time the Memorial Cimurri is on RAI, tomorrow, I came across...
    RAI PIU:- 14-45 to 15-15 Gibo Simoni Marathon.

He's always up to something sporty.....
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    You're quite right MG.

Cobo caused a stir when he won the Tour of the Basque country 2007, rumours were circulating that the SD team were on a new and undetectable form of EPO. I can't find the quote to hand but one of the French riders said this out loud.

Nothing came of this until Ricco was busted over a year later.

Seems to me he has always been a rider capable of a win here and there withot being top drawer .But he does need to sort out those ridiculously long socks that he seems to wear

Cobo_acebo_cropped.jpg
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber wrote:

that's cobo not ricco
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Which side? To be frank though, these uber climbs tend to have little or no effect on the overall result, rather they create spectacle. I'd rather see a balanced course with three days back to back in the Dolomites.

It's going to be the Ovaro according to rumours. And it will be preceded by a new climb.

The Plan De Corones is also supposed to be in there in the last week. Possibly for a TT redux.

Gavia and Mortirolo are also on the route.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Check it out:
    On the subject of cruelty, rumors are a-swirl that next year’s Giro course will involve some silly hard climbing. The Zoncolan and the Plan de Corones have sent their acceptance for next year’s May party. Reportedly, the Giro will climb the Zoncolan from the Ovaro side. A new climb will provide a zesty antipasto to the Zoncolan, and the stage will likely start in Mestre. It’s not clear when exactly the Zoncolan will show up, but late in the second week sounds most likely. The Plan de Corones, meanwhile, will host a cronoscalata on Tuesday of the final week on 25 May. The stage will follow the same course as the last edition, which Franco Pellizotti won.

A stage running from Brunico to Pejo Fonti may follow the cronoscalata and could include the Passo de Mendola. A finish in Pejo Fonti sounds relatively definite, at least as definite as course rumors ever are. Stage 17 also romps around Trentino. Rumor claims the Giro will race over the Gavia and the Mortirolo. An early rumor put a stage finish on the Gavia, but the lack of stage finish sort of infrastructure makes this idea unlikely. Anyway, the Gavia pairs with the Mortirolo like a nice Brunello and a plate of Penne alla Puttanesca. A press release from the province of Sondrio suggests a stage between Aprica and Bormio is in the works, a route that would almost certainly include the Gavia Pass.

If these third week rumors are correct, the Giro will arrive at its climbing finale in the Northern mountains and the Lombardia region. This pattern narrows the final stage possibilities, since a repeat of last year’s Roma finish would require a massive transfer over half the length of Italia. Cue rider protest in 3... 2... Of course, it wouldn’t be Giro without transfers, and rumor suggests that the Terminillo will also grace next year’s edition of the Giro. The Terminillo is in the Appennino in the Abruzzo region. If the rumored final week in Trentino is correct, the Terminillo would have to appear early in the second week to allow time for the Giro to make its way back up to Mestre for the suffering on the Zoncolan.

What about the first week, you ask? Yes, we are doing this backwards. The Session shows her caprice.

The Giro heads to the Netherlands for the start on 8 May. All the rage lately, these Netherlands. After three stages with Dutch people, the Giro returns to Italy. Two stages in Piedmont follow, including a tribute to Fausto Coppi which will visit Novi Liguri. The other Piedmont stage is rumored to visit Fossano. The rumor mill doesn’t seem to know what happens next, though a southward course seems likely from Piedmont, especially if the Giro truly intends to visit the Terminillo in Abruzzo.

Back of the envelope sketch: Three stages in the Netherlands, followed by a transfer/rest day. Two stages in Piedmont. Some stages south, perhaps along the Ligurian Coast before turning inland to arrive in Abruzzo for a hot date with the Terminillo by no later than midway through the second week. Perhaps second mountain stage in Abruzzo, since all good things come in pairs. A turn back northwards, with a transfer/rest day for good measure. Late in the second week, a visit to the Zoncolan with a start in Mestre, which is not far from Venezia. Then, a difficult and mountainous third week jaunt including the cronoscalata on the Plan de Corones and two mountain stages, with the Gavia and Mortirolo providing the climbing finale. A time trial has to fit in there somewhere, of course. Last, a finish in Milano, which is conveniently located near the northern mountains.

The official announcement comes on 24 October, and we can trust Zomegnan to have a surprise or two on the day. Why be predictable? Fickle, all the rage.

Lance Armstrong has also decided to play the unpredictable card. Rumors are flying that the American may ride the Giro d’Italia instead of the Tour of California. The two races run concurrently next season. I blame El Niño. In any case, Armstrong may skip the American race in favor of the Italian party. No doubt appearance fees will decide the deal. Last year, the Giro offered 2 million euro for Armstrong’s presence, but it’s not certain they will repeat such generosity this year. Armstrong to Tour of California: Don’t take me for granted. Me, I expect this story to play out until the last possible moment, generating constant stream of headlines and raising Armstrong’s asking price. He does like his headlines. I’ll be surprised to see Armstrong in Italy, but Fate does like to have her fun.
    http://www.podiumcafe.com/2009/10/1/...nesday-session

The Zoncolan climb is the hardest side.
  • A new climb will provide a zesty antipasto to the Zoncolan, and the stage will likely start in Mestre. It’s not clear when exactly the Zoncolan will show up, but late in the second week sounds most likely.

Oh the poor riders, and I'm not referring to them having to climb the Zoncolan!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    More route details at http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-de ... ona-finale

Plan de "Cojones", the Gavia and Mortirolo on the menu, indigestion guaranteed. Plus a stage finish into Alessandria as a tribute to Coppi, who was born about 20km away.
  • Jeez, 1150km transfer from Middleburg to Torino overnight!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

this version made me laugh

a_883.jpg
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157

this version made me laugh

a_883.jpg

That's brilliant.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    How did all that crap (the bickering posts above) come out of someone cheering that Zoncolan was on the Giro route again?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Jeez, 1150km transfer from Middleburg to Torino overnight!

That's not that bad in this modern age for a 715 mile afternoon flight of under 2 hours.
    The Trucks however have a 12 hour run.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Jeez, 1150km transfer from Middleburg to Torino overnight!

That's not that bad in this modern age for a 715 mile afternoon flight of under 2 hours.
    The Trucks however have a 12 hour run.

It was more the poor buggers driving the all the team cars, trucks and RCS equipment down from the Netherlands to Italy I was thinking of! S0d the riders!