Giro 2010

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Zoncolan is going to be on the route.

Woo!
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Monte-Zoncolan-Ovaro_profile.jpg
    One of the most difficult climbs in Europe, the Zoncolan has been compared with El Angliru, the fearsome climb in the Spanish region of Asturias. The steepest, 23.6-percent pitch of the Angliru is very short however, being part of a kilometer stretch that averages "only" 17.2 percent. While the Zoncolan has a kilometer of nearly 20%.
    The Monte Zoncolan is situated in Friuli Venezia Giulia. Starting from Ovaro, the Monte Zoncolan is 10.5 km long. Over this distance, you climb 1210 heightmeters. The average percentage is thus 11.5 %.
    Mamma mia!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Which side? To be frank though, these uber climbs tend to have little or no effect on the overall result, rather they create spectacle. I'd rather see a balanced course with three days back to back in the Dolomites.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited October 2009
    iainf72 wrote:

Woo!

+1, cracking stuff.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Zoncolan 2007. Andy Schleck was robbed by dopers. Di Luca being doped to the gills, I consider Andy rightful winner in 2007 making him one of the youngest Giro winners.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:
    Which side? To be frank though, these uber climbs tend to have little or no effect on the overall result, rather they create spectacle. I'd rather see a balanced course with three days back to back in the Dolomites.

Agreed. I'm quite happy with spectacle, although it can go a bit far.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:

Agree with that to a certain extent the Mortirolo last year was a good example of that, that said in 2007 the stage up there was decent enough . Well if you airbrush Di Luca and Peep-holy out it was :wink:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Thinking about horrific climbs in grand tours and pro races, when was the last time a rider cracked and got off their bike on camera? Not including Cancellara's chain break on the Koppenberg :wink:
  • moray_gub
    Zoncolan 2007. Andy Schleck was robbed by dopers. Di Luca being doped to the gills, I consider Andy rightful winner in 2007 making him one of the youngest Giro winners.

I wonder if Andy and Franck went 50-50 with that payment to Fuentes ..............
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Thinking about horrific climbs in grand tours and pro races, when was the last time a rider cracked and got off their bike on camera? Not including Cancellara's chain break on the Koppenberg :wink:
    They did in that steep finish in the Tirreno, is it Montelupone? But like with the feet on the ground at the bottom of the Molenberg each spring I guess that's mostly becase of a whole bunch climbing together on a narrow road...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sonny73 wrote:

Rein Taaramae did in this year's Vuelta - he'd given everything he had to an attack though.

1252343489_extras_albumes_0.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    FJS that is a classic. It is also why I say Joaquim is king of the 20%ers.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... tirreno094
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sonny73 wrote:

Iban Mayo in the Tour a few years ago was a good one. I can't remember what year it was... '04 or '05... but basically he stopped pedalling, the team car pulled up, the directeur got out, they had a big argument, the directeur said "GET BACK ON YOUR FRICKIN' BIKE". Iban did as he was told, pedalled for a bit longer, then he was allowed to get in the car.

(Maybe I elaborated a little, but it was along those lines.)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Of course, Rujano got off his bike on a descent in, I think, the Giro a couple of years ago.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

Iban Mayo in the Tour a few years ago was a good one. I can't remember what year it was... '04 or '05... but basically he stopped pedalling, the team car pulled up, the directeur got out, they had a big argument, the directeur said "GET BACK ON YOUR FRICKIN' BIKE". Iban did as he was told, pedalled for a bit longer, then he was allowed to get in the car.

(Maybe I elaborated a little, but it was along those lines.)

Wasnt that on a flat stretch iirc during a mountain day, i think it was the year he had lost time due to a crash before a cobbles section and Postal give it stick on the cobbles so he lost skads of time.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    Of course, Rujano got off his bike on a descent in, I think, the Giro a couple of years ago.

Yeah, that was a weird one.

From memory, it was his last race with Selle Italia before he went to QS (he changed teams mid-season, which was in itself quite odd).

Wasn't it only a few km from the finish, too? He climbed off, but the team car refused to let him in, then there was some big drama because no-one knew where he was and everyone thought he had crashed. Very strange.
  • Zoncolan 2007. Andy Schleck was robbed by dopers. Di Luca being doped to the gills, I consider Andy rightful winner in 2007 making him one of the youngest Giro winners.

No, making no difference to the record books at all.
    Gibo Simoni's lost far more to the convicts of the Giro.
    We all wish we could re-write history to fit our desires, but,
    sadly, we are stuck with what the riders dish up, at the given time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Yeah, that was a weird one.

From memory, it was his last race with Selle Italia before he went to QS (he changed teams mid-season, which was in itself quite odd).

Wasn't it only a few km from the finish, too? He climbed off, but the team car refused to let him in, then there was some big drama because no-one knew where he was and everyone thought he had crashed. Very strange.

Colle de San Carlo? First of the big stages up North. Very, very wet. Piepoli, form the "flying brick" descender, Basso.
    They'd already climbed Blokhaus (Passo Lancarno) and he'd gone fairly well.
    Attacked, went nowhere and jumped off about 5kms from home.
    Left out in the rain, where he shrank. :wink:
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    iainf72 wrote:

Woo!

YEAH! One of my two favorite mountains of all time! Any idea which side they're gonna do? Both are brutal but one's a bit steeper but shorter and the other has steep sections and goes on a long time. Gonna be a great stage!
  • Zoncolan 2007. Andy Schleck was robbed by dopers. Di Luca being doped to the gills, I consider Andy rightful winner in 2007 making him one of the youngest Giro winners.

No, making no difference to the record books at all.
    Gibo Simoni's lost far more to the convicts of the Giro.
    We all wish we could re-write history to fit our desires, but,
    sadly, we are stuck with what the riders dish up, at the given time.

Absolutely Blazing, Gibo has a lot to offer this thread. Winning on the Zoncolan, being robbed throughout his career by the likes of Pantani, Casagrande and Di Luca AND for throwing a strop in the 2003 Tour during which his team car refused to let him quit. He went on to win a stage at Aix 3 Domains in a 2 up sprint with Richard Virenque.

My favourite rider of all time.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Absolutely Blazing, Gibo has a lot to offer this thread. Winning on the Zoncolan, being robbed throughout his career by the likes of Pantani, Casagrande and Di Luca AND for throwing a strop in the 2003 Tour during which his team car refused to let him quit. He went on to win a stage at Aix 3 Domains in a 2 up sprint with Richard Virenque.

Is that the same Simoni who also had child like hormones after the Zoncolan? Who's ridden for a pile of "interesting" teams and worked with Ferrari at a young age? And is prone to lying...

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Hey if he gets to ignore facts then I do too!

And as for the child hormones, he's very small! It's no more ludicrous than Ligget's explanation on Landis' behalf!

Seriously, I don't think anybody comes out of the 1990-2006 period very well. I think you're talking in increments. He's never been busted with a van full of dope, wiring money to gynacologists, storing blood in fridges or with a dodgy doctor. His level of performance always seemed consistent.

I was unaware of the Ferrari thing, how long did that go on for?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72 wrote:

Is that the same Simoni who also had child like hormones after the Zoncolan? Who's ridden for a pile of "interesting" teams and worked with Ferrari at a young age? And is prone to lying...

:wink:

FF set the bar. As DGG points out, he's as validly clean as Schlekette or Berto.
    Not a dig at Ivan, either.
    Just an observation that, he's lost out on more podium steps than UK Olympians.

I'm surprised you didn't stick 2002 in there, too, although, given the outcome and what came after, he was robbed there, too.
    Who was runner up, that year?

As for the hormones. Yes, much was made of DDL's results, but little of Gibo's.
    Other than the initial news item, I can't remember any follow up. Interesting.
    I'd like to re-visit that story, if anyone has any links...
  • Kléber
    Ricco, Simoni, Di Lucca, Mazzoleni, Piepoli were all found with masking agents. This suggests they were using the same technique and intriguingly, the same doctor.

Back on topic, the full route for the Giro should be released in early December.
  • Blimey just reminded myself of the Podium in 2002, Blazing Saddles.

1.Savoldelli
    2. Hamilton
    3. Cauccioli.

:shock:

Good shout!

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    2007 Giro: Simoni and Piepoli on the Zoncolan
    bettiniphoto_0017173_1_full_600.jpg

2008 Tour: Piepoli and Ricco at Hautacam
    corvos_piepoli_wins_stage-10.jpg
  • He must be guilty.

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    You're a bit quick to judge there! :wink:

I just posted the images as they make an amusing comparison.
  • I'm being tounge in cheek there too.

I know he's probably as big a cheat as anyone was through that period, there's no way he'd win 2 Giros in the early 2000s otherwise. However, since he never got shot down in flames or caught with anything worse than a peruvian lozenge, I still look up to him as a rider.

And indeed they do make an amusing juxtaposition. Remember that interview with him and Ricco in procycling where as soon as they said "doping" without even asking him anything personal he got up and stormed out? That was hilarious.

@gietvangent
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Are we talking about the same person that got into a bit of bother with his Aunties 'sweets from Columbia'?
    I've heard he might be friends with Boonen on this....

Can't believe anyone seriously believes he has been clean throughout his career.
    He just might not have taken it to the limits of Basso etc.
  • cswebbo wrote:
    Are we talking about the same person that got into a bit of bother with his Aunties 'sweets from Columbia'?
    I've heard he might be friends with Boonen on this....

Can't believe anyone seriously believes he has been clean throughout his career.
    He just might not have taken it to the limits of Basso etc.

See my last post. I do not believe he was clean throughout his career and I mention the Peruvian Throat Sweet tale.

@gietvangent