Embedding large images

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Daz555 wrote:
    Those who find that the page load slowly with images embedded should look into getting an additional hamster for their broadband wheel.
    Some of us live in rural areas, where a 3meg connection even, is a technophile's wet dream.
  • That's a good enough reason to actually keep to a reasonable size. It is prohibitive to people who aren't on great connections.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That all depends if that's been disabled in the account though, admittedly people don't usually bother / forget / don't rtfm / can't be arsed.
    But whether you embedd, or link to, it's just as easy to find the source URL of the picture.
    This should be of no direct concern to Bikeradar - rather, the onus should be on the admins of photo-hosting sites
  • I said advertise in open and plain view. Bikeradar management has to juggle all the balls in the air and make a judgement and I agree it's not solely down to 3rd party sites.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    OK so why is this a problem here but say on STW the same photos are resized by the forum so you don't get scroll bars?
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • can the site not automagically reduce the image? (not resize the file but display it smaller...?) using HTML you can specify the display width but I don't know with the BBCode tags

I too find the scroll bars a pain, but it will be even more painful to be wailing on everyone each time they post an image >600px when the system could do the downsizing for them as, frankly, I'm not worried about file size only the display.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One for the tech admins here.

I have found on other forums the auto resize can downgrade quality causing jagged lines.
  • supersonic wrote:
    One for the tech admins here.

I have found on other forums the auto resize can downgrade quality causing jagged lines.

yeah, sure I can see that ... but what's easier to administer and how bad is the downgrade .... really? worse than resizing the file manually?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Worse than resizing manually for sure.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Well I've justed posted a big one in the rides forum, so don't go in there :lol:

Might want to pop over to STW instead to view it without scroll bars....

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... lts-are-up

:twisted:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Scroll bars drive me potty, especially in the Your Rides forum, I've gone into a thread to look at pictures, and I'm either faced with tiny thumbnails or those bloody scroll bars.

Only possible reason I can think of having them is that big images mess up the rest of the page, but if thats the case then thats just lazy coding, sort the problem out properly.